Game Streaming

michield

Still Fresh
Today I found a website (and some videos) of people streaming their games from a desktop to an EEE pc over the network. Something like this ( http://www.streammygame.com ) should be possible too on the Pandora, right? It does say there is a linux client, but I see x86 everywhere.
I did a quick search but could not find any sources so far (but one may find them with a more thorough search), does something like this exist already? The pandora would be an ideal input device to play games on!
( http://gizmodo.com/5017091/how-the--is-cry...ning-on-the-eee was the site that attracted my attention).

seeing as this is a paying service or an adsupported free option, I don't think this is opensource.
you got 3 options here really:
- Look if there is an opensource equivalent.
- Look if there is an opensource technologie you could use as a foundation to write your own software on
- Contact the website and ask if they are willing to port it to the pandora

It looks like they offer licensing for this sort of application. Basically, you pay to license it, then port it to your system and distribute it. (I think.) Might be doable if you a lot of time and money to invest. Might be a real possibility after a few runs of the Pandora, and if you can get a feel for how many people might buy it (depending on how much time and money are required to invest).

Edit:
forgot the link:
http://www.streammygame.com/smg/modules.ph...AboutUS#License

You might be able to convince them. They already have linux versions for PC and PS3, and the Pandora would be the perfect showcase for their abilities. (Heheh, finally. Crysis on the Pandora...)

I always thought stuff like this was impossible. I looked into gaming via VNC/RDP/all those remote protocols years ago and it was supposed to be that there was too much latency and too high a bandwidth requirement to be possible. I suppose now maybe network infrastructure has expanded enough to make it possible, assuming these guys are legit. The problem is it still does require a decent amount of bandwidth. 800x600 requires 2mbit upstream, I'd estimate that the Pandora would need ~1.6mbit to play fullscreen.

You know, if this thing really does work it could revolutionize PC gaming. Imagine not having to buy thousand dollar gaming rigs and just renting them from a datacenter relatively close to your location. I guess that would force the ISPs to actually start upgrading their networks, and not just say "Oh, everything's slow because of P2P", when video streaming is actually their biggest problem.

/semi-relevant tangent

I'd agree that it's worth asking them, but it really looks like they're more interested in licensing it and letting somebody else worry about porting it. See my link above.

That looks like a great idea and it seems to work perfectly from the videos. Playing Raven Shield on the Pandora would be a dream come true for me :D

Porting it to the Pandora would give them a dedicated user base and (as already stated) it would be the ideal device to show off their software for mobile use, so I don't see why they wouldn't consider porting it at least.

So.. who's gunna email them then? ;)

Back