Questions About Pc Manager

A_Locomotive

Still Fresh
So tonight I decided to finally try and upload some stuff on to my Caanoo and not just play around with the stuff that was included with it. So I pop in the included disc expecting an install for a program that manages files instead to find its a manual. I read through it and after plugging in my turned on Caanoo I'm wondering if the software, the PC manager, is actually needed since I can seemingly just go straight into the files from my computer. At the moment I'm attempting to add some homebrew games to the SD card, backing up all the original files on it just incase something goes wrong. Are their any benefits to using the software? Also curious about registration, I see on FunGP's website that its an option and that it is mentioned in the manual. Is there any benefit to registering it like warranty or anything like that?

Hahaha just had a scare thinking I'd fried the SD card, when I powered it back on after installing the games I was greeted with an "insert SD card" screen and a seemingly empty Caanoo. I shut it down and unplugged it to make sure it wasn't something going haywire due to being connected still and thankfully everything is still there and working. hmm I don't like the way the Zelda homebrew games sit separately below the emulators, looks messy. Any suggestions on how to set up a new icon to enter for the Homebrew titles? Like if I click on one of the emulators it brings up a list of whats available for it on the system. Any clean way to do that with the games I just added? Could I just simply create a file dump them all in it and title it homebrew? Would that work or would there be anything special I'd need to do?

From a short reading: try a new sd card. If you are using linux try to chkdsk (check disk) to repair the broken sd. I think this is possible in windows too but i dont know how exactly.

the manager to me is useless.

I download what I want (caanoo games and apps) and just copy to the sdcard.
Can be on the app folder or the game folder.

Caanoo stuff usually has a directory + a .ini file on the same name.

If copying through the power usb cable, you may have to turn caanoo off and on so it detects changes.

Some things like SCUMM or MAME needs you to check their installation guide as it may require extra files on certain places.
DOS box too.

edit: as for relocating things on personal directories, as far as I know it is not possible, either put your games on the game or application folder.

Well, I know you have to use it if you get any games of the FunGP website. But other than that I've never had any use for it at all.

Hi,

I was trying to add some games to MAME last night, but was unsuccessful! As it's not possible to download the PC manager (from the website at least) I thought I'd try moving the zipped files in manually, which I did. So I disconnected the Caanoo correctly, switched it on, but found the games weren't on the list to play. I connected the Caanoo to the PC again and when I checked the zipped files are in the Roms folder for MAME, so I don't understand why they don't appear. Is it perhaps something to do with the 'front end' folder, in that I need something in there for it to appear in the list?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Sam

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question, but how would I know if a rom is MAME 0.37b5 up to 0.37b16? The Caanoo was second hand and came with a huge number of games installed, many of which were the ones I wanted, but there are a few other games like Chase HQ, Operation Wolf etc. which I'd like. Is the Caanoo not able to run these titles?

On the plus side, I copied over my first SNES game and that worked fine :)

Well arcade emulation is a bit different from console emulation. There are different versions of ROMs around, not just one.

Just look for a MAME4ALL ROM set. Most games run fine on the Caanoo.

Also check out GnGeo and FBA2X. The Caanoo emulator pack contains both.

Here an overview of tested (working) games:

GnGeo https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydGdrdXU1aHpkdHVPOHg4T1JVSEFPRHc

FBA2X https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydFhxa18yclotV1huVVNLVXFwUnhKOHc

Yoshi Dragon said:
Well arcade emulation is a bit different from console emulation. There are different versions of ROMs around, not just one.

Just look for a MAME4ALL ROM set. Most games run fine on the Caanoo.

Also check out GnGeo and FBA2X. The Caanoo emulator pack contains both.

Here an overview of tested (working) games:

GnGeo https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydGdrdXU1aHpkdHVPOHg4T1JVSEFPRHc

FBA2X https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydFhxa18yclotV1huVVNLVXFwUnhKOHc

Thanks, I'll check those out. But if a ROM wasn't the correct one, would it not appear in the list at all? Because that's what seems to be happening with the others, I've copied them into the Roms folder but when I go into Mame4All on the Caanoo they don't appear in the list at all - is that to be expected if they're not the correct type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yoshi Dragon said:
Incorrect ROMs do not appear in the list. Not sure if only names are verified at this stage (or CRCs).

Thanks for confirming :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back