Questions About The Gp2x

thojoh370

Still Fresh
Website
gmail.com
Hello all,
I have recently received a lot of money (1533 SEK, that's $239 or £118) which allows me to buy the GP2X itself - but perhaps not the required SD card and the dock (if I need it, not sure yet though). Thinking about buying the F200 model. gp32_console

My questions are:
1) Does the F200 support Flash?
2) Does it support 3D games like Quake and Doom?
3) Is the F200 better than the gaming version of GP2X? :gp2x
4) Is there a painting application for GP2X (I mean now that you have a pen ...)
5) Are there any cons on the GP2X? (In reviews you use "cons" and "pros", often in the end.)

That's enough questions for now. I'd be very happy if someone could answer them! :)

Oh, and if I put this topic wrong, please move it to where it should be.... :rolleyes:

I'll just answer what I know:
Thord Johansson said:
2) Does it support 3D games like Quake and Doom?
Yes. Visit the GP2X file archive to see what kind of programs you can run, and the GP2X wiki for a more general overview.

3) Is the F200 better than the gaming version of GP2X? :gp2x

They're both "gaming versions". Most people so far are saying that yes, the F200 is better than the F100.

4) Is there a painting application for GP2X (I mean now that you have a pen ...)

Yes, but it's nothing too fancy or official.

5) Are there any cons on the GP2X? (In reviews you use "cons" and "pros", often in the end.)

Depends on what is a con for you. The battery life isn't all that long (but since it uses AA-size batteries, you can carry several of them on long journeys). You should only use NiMH rechargeable batteries, though (other kinds die too soon), so you'll have to buy those and a charger if you don't have that already.

As for the SD card, got $5? (see the option for first-time Google Checkout members)

No, you don't need the dock, that's just a nice extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the dock:
I want to connect my GP2X to the TV... that's when I need it, right?

EDIT: And Buy.com doesn't ship to Sweden. That's where I live.
EDIT2: And yes, well written post :p

There is a tv out cable which connects to the bottom of the gp2x.

xcen said:
No, the TV out cable has SVideo, and Stereo RCA for audio
Could you, or someone else, take a photo of those output "jacks" and upload it? I would like to see where you can connect the TV out cable, and how it works. I have not purchased the unit yet, but I will do when I know what components I'll need to connect it to a TV.

Could you, or someone else, take a photo of those output "jacks" and upload it? I would like to see where you can connect the TV out cable, and how it works. I have not purchased the unit yet, but I will do when I know what components I'll need to connect it to a TV.
Heres the one play-asia.com is selling:
pa.90964.2.jpg

Red and White = Stereo RCA
Furthest Left Black = SVideo
Other Black = GP2X Interface

Adventus said:
Heres the one play-asia.com is selling:
pa.90964.2.jpg

Red and White = Stereo RCA
Furthest Left Black = SVideo
Other Black = GP2X Interface

Um .. yeah, thanks, I needed that too, but what I was asking for was the holes in which you put these cables. (On the GP2X's end of the cable.) But thank you, Adventus, for your help. I really needed that!

well you plug it into the lower side of your gp2x. It is an EXT connector. Take a look into the wiki. I think it contains photos and pin-outs.

xcen said:
I guess he means on his TV... just google image for "svideo connetor" and "rca connector"

but you should be able to guess from the picture here I suppose o_O
Well actually, I meant both ends (though I said I only meant the GP2X end of the cable):

was asking for was the holes in which you put these cables. (On the GP2X's end of the cable.)

Um .. yeah, thanks, I needed that too, but what I was asking for was the holes in which you put these cables. (On the GP2X's end of the cable.) But thank you, Adventus, for your help. I really needed that!
Mmmmkay, I know i'm basically reiterating whats already been said but.... There is a single "hole" (as mentioned an EXT port) on the bottom of the GP2X. This port is very similar in dimesions and design to what you find on samsung mobile phones (approx. 16mm x 3 mm). I cant find any decent pictures of the actual EXT port, but you should be able to guess based on the above picture.

For technical information refer to the wiki: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/EXT_Port

It looks like it's going to be a F-100 :gp2x
Because I found a cheap one here in Sweden (on a trading website called Blocket.se).
But it's nearly the same, right? Except the touchscreen and perhaps lower performance.

Thord Johansson said:
But it's nearly the same, right? Except the touchscreen and perhaps lower performance.
Some differences:

Colour
F200 is louder
No difference in performance between the 2
Touchscreen which you've already mentioned
F100 has a joystick not a dpad
F200 has no USB netchip so no USB networking
F200 supports SDHC cards out of the box
Not all software has been updated yet to run on the F200

There are most likely a few more differences but they've slipped my mind at the moment. :)

Lurkio said:
Thord Johansson said:
Some differences:

Colour
F200 is louder
No difference in performance between the 2
Touchscreen which you've already mentioned
F100 has a joystick not a dpad
F200 has no USB netchip so no USB networking
F200 supports SDHC cards out of the box
Not all software has been updated yet to run on the F200

There are most likely a few more differences but they've slipped my mind at the moment. :)

Haha, thanks! I've needed that list! So basically the F100 is better than the F200? :blink: :lol:

He means that GPH has a history of poor releases and stupid decisions =P

The F100 is not exactly better than the F200, the F200 is just not as tested and documented, and it's been out for a very short time so the community didn't have time to fix GPH's mess (like we did for the F100s... not pretty launches, very similar to the situation now with the F200)

It also depends on your needs, if you don't do dev or linuxy stuff, you won't care about lack of USB networking...

I'd say more than 80% of the software archive works on the F200... touchscreen support has been added on test releases of SCUMMVM and I hear Exult as well... (seen a vid on youtube)

Touchscreen with these applications are more than a convenience, it's downright super awesome... then again if you just want to play NES games, you don't have much use for the touchscreen...

Also, the pseudo-analogue stick on the F100 is really not cool and can be hard to mod... the F200 DPad ain't that great, but it's still better than the stick.

Black is also better than white for people like me =P

you always have the option of waiting a few months, see how the community adapts to the F200 and such

I've had some disappointments with my F200 but I do not regret buying it!

Back