Questions About The Gp2x

xcen said:
He means that GPH has a history of poor releases and stupid decisions =P

The F100 is not exactly better than the F200, the F200 is just not as tested and documented, and it's been out for a very short time so the community didn't have time to fix GPH's mess (like we did for the F100s... not pretty launches, very similar to the situation now with the F200)

It also depends on your needs, if you don't do dev or linuxy stuff, you won't care about lack of USB networking...

...snip...

I've had some disappointments with my F200 but I do not regret buying it!
What do you guys mean by USB Networking? Do you mean file transfer from PC to GP2X or do you mean like a LAN between the two? And is it the F100 or the F200 that doesn't have USB Networking?

Last edited by a moderator:
He means LAN. The F100 GP2X can sit on on a local network via USB, and you can use it as a web server/etc.

The F200 contains no such feature - the USB is strictly a sd card reader on this model.

Squidge said:
He means LAN. The F100 GP2X can sit on on a local network via USB, and you can use it as a web server/etc.

The F200 contains no such feature - the USB is strictly a sd card reader on this model.
But there is an SD card reader on the F100, right? (From what I've heard, the SD card works as a HDD.)

Yes there is an SD card reader but if you ever decide to pull apart your gp2x one day you will notice that in your F100 model there is a chip (netchip) that allows usb networking, very important for devs, telnet, etc. etc. and the ability to read an sd card...just not the SDHC cards.

The f200 replaced that chip with a busted card reader that can read SDHC cards...sigh...and so far the only way to dev is to utilize the crade...and that thing isn't cheap or the EXT port (I think). I just got may laptop back and I gotta completely renovate that thing now...well anyways...hope that sums up the issues about the SD card slot.

garzyboi said:
Yes there is an SD card reader but if you ever decide to pull apart your gp2x one day you will notice that in your F100 model there is a chip (netchip) that allows usb networking, very important for devs, telnet, etc. etc. and the ability to read an sd card...just not the SDHC cards.
What is a SDHC card, compared to a SD card?
I'm really, really sorry if the amount of questions bother you.. but I really need to know.

An SDHC Card is a different form of SD Card that allows for larger sizes of card, from 4GB+. There have been some fan made firmware upgrades, and they have worked pretty well for me, you should look around - I don't know if they are compatible with the F200 however, I doubt it though as this recently came out and I don't know if it already has this support built in or not.

There's SD Card and SDHC (High Capacity) Card. Proper SDHC cards are clearly marked. Some bulk ones might look blank however, but you usually only get those from places like ebay.

The only difference between them is software, by default the F100 firmware can't read SDHC cards, but there is alternative firmware that can. I believe GPH put SDHC support into the F200 as standard.

Hi. I'm new here and I'm thinking about buying the F200 and a cradle. If I understand this discussion correctly, I can connect the F200 to my network through one of the cradle's USB ports? Will existing network software for the F100 support this solution?

The SDHC support on a F-200 is a sure thing?

Or this is just a presumption because of the netchip? I'm asking because I want to buy a SDHC and I'm not sure if this card will really work.

Dope Fish said:
The SDHC support on a F-200 is a sure thing?

Or this is just a presumption because of the netchip? I'm asking because I want to buy a SDHC and I'm not sure if this card will really work.
It is a quite sure thing ... referring to the previous replies in this topic. Take a look at them, I think they will answer your question. By the way - the F100 has been ordered for me now. It doesn't seem to be a Mk2 but it's at least a F100!

The Gp2X F200 can connect to the Internet or telnet o network but you must use the cradle so for me the best between the two is the F200:).
Hi

Back