Questions About The Xsever

cb88

The mighty inverse laplacinator
Website
gcadvsg.rr.nu
I searched back through the forum about kdrive but found little concrete info about it so here are my questions

which version of the xserver is being used?

will it support composite? (not sure over this one it seems composite was originally implemented in kdrive... but it also might not support it this is rather confusing)

will it support opengl accel. I expect that on is a given

does kdrive support AIGLX? (yes I know the PVR driver will probably not have it)

OK that is all I can think to ask about Kdrive

so... I have read a bit about Xglamo it seems to extend kdrive on the openmoko platform somehow does anyone know anything about it? (it also seems to support the composite extension)

so kdrive vs Xglamo? Xorg was running in the ubuntu port videos according to notaz so we know at least that works probably not an optimal solution however.

cb88 said:
which version of the xserver is being used?

Errr well kdrive is not X.org. But wikipedia speak better than me :)

cb88 said:
will it support composite? (not sure over this one it seems composite was originally implemented in kdrive... but it also might not support it this is rather confusing)

As wikipedia say, kdrive is the side project of the leader devel of X.org. He use kdrive to test in a small code base his idea for futur X.org. So yeah, kdrive got compositing before X.org :)

cb88 said:
will it support opengl accel. I expect that on is a given

Yeah, that what we all expect from imageteck.

cb88 said:
does kdrive support AIGLX? (yes I know the PVR driver will probably not have it)

Accelerated Indirect GL for X support GL not GL/es sadly. And by the way AIGLX is an extention for X.org not kdrive...

cb88 said:
so... I have read a bit about Xglamo it seems to extend kdrive on the openmoko platform somehow does anyone know anything about it? (it also seems to support the composite extension)

so kdrive vs Xglamo? Xorg was running in the ubuntu port videos according to notaz so we know at least that works probably not an optimal solution however.
Well X.org is bloated as hell. It's an old code that is re-factored by a realy small team so thing are long to come there...
kdrive is realy more agile because its source code is realy smaller (don't support extention from 2 decades ago...).

For the little that I know from Xglamo, is that is't an kdrive extention that provide Xrandr and much more it seams. but this sound to me like a bad joke...

Last edited by a moderator:
of course kdrive isn't Xorg but it is IN Xorg... at least since 7.0 or so I guess it would be pretty dumb of me not to have reasearch X11 more than reading a wikipeida article before making a post like this :)

is there any reason AIGLX couldn't support GLES anything to do with fixed function vs non fixed... also doesn't AIGLX just allow rendering to anywhere in memory and not just a single framebuffer... thus allowing windows to be easily rendered and then copied as textures onto a 3d cube.... wonder what they call that...X.x?

you have to remember it isn't necessarily the old code that is bloated I have a friend that was running x11 on a 486 with 4mb ram back in the day so ... yeah but that was probably before much 3d accel was going on in X of course SGI had it though im not sure if they were running X11 or not I think they were

...still not sure what to make of xglamo ... I think it might be a project to get accel on the openmoko chip which you would think they woold have choosen a well documented chip... guess those are hard to come by

cb88 said:
I didn't ask if the monolithic kdrive was used I know it was merged back to Xorg...

you can compile Xorg with options like --enable-kdrive or some thing of that nature to build a kdrive server

http://rene.rebe.name/2007-04-29/faq-where...aka-tinyx-gone/

now has something else changed beyond that?

http://lwn.net/Articles/300209/

seems not to have changed yet... although the plan is to make Xorg even better than kdrive in the future

You are correct, you can enable the kdrive server if you wish. Maybe we are misunderstanding the question... Do you want to know if the pandora devs are using kdrive as the default x11 server? Or, are you asking if there is kdrive support so you can utilize it vice the normal xorg-server?

My bet, which I'm sure someone will confirm if they haven't already lost interest, is that they are using the standard xorg-server and do not intend to work on native kdrive support at this time if ever. Reasons I wouldn't want to use kdrive.
1. Will be fully merged into x.org server anyway.
2. No longer being developed, expect driver/system support to break.
3. Compatibility? Likely works now, but how about a few months from now...
4. Can't find the article anymore, but I remember reading that kdrive and one of the latest stable x.org servers were comparable in speed and footprint.
5. The only possible bonus (assuming the performance is comparable) would be overall size of your x11 server, however with modular x.org you can mitigate many of those issues. And x.org does have a xcomposite module.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back