A Couple Of Questions About Gba Emu

Exophase said:
pder said:
Are you talking about a completely different emu than gpsp? If you release a derivative work of gpsp you have to release the source because it is under the GPL.
Joke's on you buddy ;D Won't be under the GPL anymore for long!

Well that is rather disappointing news. :( However, I didn't think you could just revoke the GPL license from a project even if you own the copyright, especially considering there were other developers like notaz and zodttd that contributed GPL'd code to the project. It would be like Linus Torvalds deciding to make Linux proprietary.

I do hope you decide to reopen the source some day, because it seems by making your version closed source you are just encouraging other developers to fork the project which is a waste of resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
pder said:
Well that is rather disappointing news. :( However, I didn't think you could just revoke the GPL license from a project even if you own the copyright, especially considering there were other developers like notaz and zodttd that contributed GPL'd code to the project. It would be like Linus Torvalds deciding to make Linux proprietary.

I do hope you decide to reopen the source some day, because it seems by making your version closed source you are just encouraging other developers to fork the project which is a waste of resources.
I don't have to use their code, and truthfully, there isn't really anything that I would be using - the GP2X version I released is mostly a different branch from the one zodttd released, and the things notaz did were quite trivial/easy to reproduce. On the other hand, if I asked them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I did use it.

I think your comment that I'm encouraging developers to fork is really funny, because forking is what a certain person has been doing all along, no matter how many times I asked him to stop. I didn't make it GPL so people could do whatever they wanted with it. I obviously shouldn't have made it GPL in the first place. If those people now want to try to keep up with whatever changes I make (when they couldn't make equivalent changes in the mean time) then they're fools and they'll probably never succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you don't get hit by a bus or get a job then. :rolleyes:

But, yes, I understand your position and support whatever is your decision while very much thanking you for your work. There's no need to be both a zealot and a (complete) asshole.
On a more serious note, it would be kind of nice for other people to be able to add AR codes or something, or to know that the Pandora+1 could be mostly guaranteed to have an emu, but neither is essential.

I'm pretty sure Exophase wouldn't mind opening the source again should he ever be unable to continue working on it (say if he gets a job or something that prevents that). If not, he will get it to the hands of someone else he trusts enough.

Back