Quick Question About The F200

Vince2501

Do I still need an SD card READER to transfer data, or can I now hook up the console to my PC through usb and transfer the files onto the SD?

The card reader in the F200 is much better than the one on the F100s...

All GP2X can have their card reader connected to a PC via USB, no problem

It is STILL recommended to get a card reader, though.

On the F100s: because the card reader sucks over usb for some reason (from my experience at least)

On the F200: You get a nice "USB CONNECTED" window that never goes away, making you reboot everytime you go and modify something =( FW4 has a ridiculous booting time, that doesn't help. And no file explorer on the F200 sucks too (enexfi looks very promising, however)

Hope that clears some of it, don't hesitate to ask

(edit: Gmenu2x has nice USB on/off features... but they have yet to be adapted to the F200)

edit²: your question asks if you need a sd card to xfer data, which make little sense so I assumed you meant card read =P

One last question: How easy is it to modify the D-Pad? I had seen the Youtube video of problems doing the 360 motion, what kind of pad did that guy have?

Bump on that.

Plus one other thing: Are the ports of the FPS games (Doom, Rise Of The Triad, and Heretic/Hexen etc) still playable on the F200? Or do I have to wait for an updated patch? Also, could someone point me to the the link of MameGP2X 4.9?

Vince2501 said:
Bump on that.

Plus one other thing: Are the ports of the FPS games (Doom, Rise Of The Triad, and Heretic/Hexen etc) still playable on the F200? Or do I have to wait for an updated patch? Also, could someone point me to the the link of MameGP2X 4.9?
Duke3d and Quake are working on the F-200. From other FPS I do not know, but the chance is very high.

MAME can be found in the archive:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1058

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes , it's always the newest version in the archive. Why do you want MameGP2X 4.9?

Vince2501 said:
I've read that only version 4.9 works with the F200.
No, that's not true. All versions since 4.9 work with F-200.

I can confirm quake works fine, as well as Mame 5.1... didn't try doom and the others but there have been no reports of problem so far and those are rather popular games.

As for DPad mods, some people have used the commercialy available PSP "stick a pad on your pad" thingy... (check out youtube... http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9mNbpabmA ) This is just an "over" dpad that holds in place with a piece of mactac o_O

A poster here did some more intense hardware modding, but he has access to a plastic molding machine and managed to do a custom dpad to fit on the f200... his thread is somewhere on the general talk board IIRC

Vince2501 said:
One last question: How easy is it to modify the D-Pad? I had seen the Youtube video of problems doing the 360 motion, what kind of pad did that guy have?
I'm not sure exactly what time of mod the guy in the Youtube video had, but I bought something similar off eBay -- a white one piece D-Pad cover with adhesive backing that sticks directly on top of the 4 directional buttons on the GP2X. It was designed for the PSP, but it's the perfect size for the F-200 D-Pad, too. Plus, the adhesive it's not permanent... with a little tug the D-Pad cover comes right off (and doesn't leave any sticky residue either). I mainly use the F-200's standard 4 directional buttons for most games, but when I get in a fighting game mood I re-stick the D-Pad cover on (I've taken it on and off several times now and the adhesive backing still works). It only cost me about $4.00. just look up "psp button kit" on eBay and a ton of listings will pop up.

Thanks guys for everything. One last question, and this isn't a deal breaker if I get the unit or not. Is Playstation emulation any faster on the f200?

No, not at all. But perhaps you are lucky and get a device which has higher overclocking capabilities than others.

Regards,
Stephan

xcen said:
On the F200: You get a nice "USB CONNECTED" window that never goes away, making you reboot everytime you go and modify something =( FW4 has a ridiculous booting time, that doesn't help. And no file explorer on the F200 sucks too (enexfi looks very promising, however)
Hi all,

Just to say that F200 USB connectivity runs fine with Linux : when I unplug my GP2X, I can then use it without reboot.

Hey, Liking the unit so far. I'm just messing around with GnGeo to get that going. I'll download Final Burn Alpha when I get the chance.

What are the best music and video players for the F200?

Doom works awsome... As does Quake / Hexen / Heretic and Mame 5.1 is awsome......Also the NeoGeo emu is out of this world... i HAD to buy 2 more 2GB SD cards!! :p

Does Craigamp work on F200? I've read it doesn't.

Follow up: Which MP3 Player will play in the background while I'm reading an Ebook or playing a game?

Back