Quick Question On Porting

GaleFenrir

Still Fresh
I was wondering if there is any VB6 compilers that would work on the :pandora2: , so that a port of a program, say eclipse, could be ported. I know that mono supports VB.net, but I dont know of anything that could compile VB6 that is multiplatform.

GaleFenrir said:
I was wondering if there is any VB6 compilers that would work on the :pandora2: , so that a port of a program, say eclipse, could be ported. I know that mono supports VB.net, but I dont know of anything that could compile VB6 that is multiplatform.
Simple answer, nope :(. Not going to happen.

VB.Net via Mono is a real possibility however (I have had Mono running on my Pandora board for some considerable time now but only really coded little test apps in C#).

Last edited by a moderator:
DJWillis said:
VB.Net via Mono is a real possibility however (I have had Mono running on my Pandora board for some considerable time now but only really coded little test apps in C#).
There are tools out there that will automagically convert VB6 into vb.net code, too - so it shouldn't be a complex task

benjymous said:
DJWillis said:
There are tools out there that will automagically convert VB6 into vb.net code, too - so it shouldn't be a complex task

Of course anything that uses any external ActiveX controls or any kind of library won't work though :)

GaleFenrir said:

It'd probably be a whole lot easier to port a VB6 program to a different language. From what I know VB6->VB.NET converters only really work on the simplest of programs, so that doesn't help you much. Personally I'd suggest Python for its fully dynamic type system and automatic garbage collection, which I think should let you do anything in Python that you could in VB6. (and more) Plus it has tons of libraries ready to plug in to take over from built in VB6 stuff.

Plus Python is a lot faster than VB6 and doesn't require the bulky Mono CLR, so it might run better than either on the Pandora. (if it were even possible to run VB6 interpreted code on it that is)

And this isn't just me pimping Python (well, maybe a little) but the opinion of someone who used to code extensively in VB6 and has tried a number of different languages. Python just - IMHO - comes closest to VB6. VB.NET isn't nearly the same as using VB6 unless you're doing something UI heavy. And even then I wonder if VB.NET would be more appealing than Python using wxWidgets or PyGTK or something.

Back