Quirks & Questions

sixb0nes

Still Fresh
Hello,

Just got my GP2X -- love the unit! Small, tight and perfect fit for my hands. It is an MKII and came with 2.0.0 firmware.

That said, I've had a few quirky things happen to me, and I thought I would ask instead of festering over them:

1) Vektar demo is sweet! I notice occasionally when starting the game, the music crackles bad. Restart the game, it's gone or slightly less. I am using the demo that came in NAND.

2) Payback is jerky and music skips. Is this normal? I can understand why it might do it, I just want to know that it isn't my unit.

3) Occasionally when switching between menus you can see the screen redraw/flicker - almost like some sort of messed up buffering.

Thanks for the responses. Picked up my 1GB stick today and planning on loading up with emulators tonight!

Woohoo!

Need to update both demos really! The music issue is (probably) because the nand is too slow and the game is running out of music to play. Will look at it this month.

Great community, quick reponses! Thanks guys!!

I guess the only thing that wasn't answered is the slight flicker that seems to occur randomly -- but most often on the first screen after bootup, and the usb section of config.

Anyone get this?

Thanks again

sixb0nes posted on Oct 3 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
3) Occasionally when switching between menus you can see the screen redraw/flicker - almost like some sort of messed up buffering.
That should happen only if you start up the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong posted on Oct 3 2006 at 03:25 PM said:
sixb0nes posted on Oct 3 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
That should happen only if you start up the unit.

Seems to happen on the first screen after bootup, mainly - but also (almost consistently) by going into the USB settings screen and back.

Loaded it all up last night - I am still in awe!

Skinned the UI, grabbed some emulators and filled it up. My coworkers are still ogling at the thing. Most of the emulators play like a dream! Thank you to all the developers who have contributed to this - you have made me a very happy man.

I've noticed a few hiccups in two emulators. GPFCE (NES Emulator) and less often HU6280 will briefly (sub-second from what I can tell) pause and then return control back to me. Doesn't happen all the time, but easily replicatable.

I would assume the unit loads the entire ROM into memory before execution, no? Is it simply the CPU struggling to the point it chokes up for a second, or perhaps trying to write save-data/etc back to the card to track emulator states and such?

Again, just looking to see if it's normal and if there is anything I can do to get rid of it.

Thanks.

sixb0nes posted on Oct 4 2006 at 08:35 PM said:
Again, just looking to see if it's normal and if there is anything I can do to get rid of it.

Thanks.

Clocking the gp2x a bit higher might help, the emulators usually have instructions on how to do this for each one. as far as I know overclocking can't really damage your gp2x as it will crash before it gets to it's limit.

Hope this helps

The payback demo has choppy sound on mine aswell, not a great advert for a commercial game to a new user i can tell you. ur probably better lifting it off the nand. I never had any issues with the vectar demo tho :/

It seems that the GP2X music player either cuts songs that are too long, because I cannot listen to the complete mp3, any ideas? All songs seem to be chopped off at around 3:40 or so... does not play songs for longer than that.

Thanks!

---
May the Force of the Dragon's Spirit be With You!

- CoolDragon )O(

Back