Ram Upgrade

Anhaedra

I have a ton of old SDRAM sticks lying around my house, would it be possible to desolder the chips from them (provided they were the same size and speed) and solder them on top of the existing chips on the 2X, like what has been done on the GP32, Xbox, and I think Dreamcast?

I'm not sure, but it could be that you would need an additional address line, which you probably cant get cause the chip is bga.

Vimacs said:
I'm not sure, but it could be that you would need an additional address line, which you probably cant get cause the chip is bga.
Do you mean to say that even if I solder them on, it might not be able to address the additional RAM?

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X's firmware is very different to the GP32's, the same kind of patches wouldn't really work.

But since the GP2X uses Linux instead of the proprietary GP32 BIOS, wouldn't it be more likely to be able to address more RAM?

uuh, I think, we had a lot of threads like this: you want to upgrade your NAND, or sth like that, right?!
Sorry mate, but that's not (yet) possible - you'd need to install a complete new Software (a new bios especially for that)!!
But you could ask somebody from Gamepark Holdings -- they could probably program a new fw for such mods .....

stay cheesey

Note that the MMSP2 present in the GP2X supports upto 512MBytes of RAM, however the largest chip it can take is 512MBits (64MB), which is already present. Therefore it's not going to be as easy as the GP32 modification.

However, if you made your own kernel, there should be nothing stopping you from ripping the useless NetChip 2272 off the board and replacing it with some static ram.

Back