Random Crashes In Fenix.

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello, I'm just curious as to whether other people are still experiencing random crashes when running Fenix programs on the GP2X. So far every fenix program I've tried has suffered from this and I can't see any common factor that could be causing it. I'm using the latest runtime (beta 4) and my GP2x has firmware 2.1.1. All of my own programs suffer from it yet they never crash in windows.
It seems really strange as sometimes it crashes within minutes and other times it can be half an hour or more. I have noticed that if it crashes once and you reload without switching off the GP2X it seems the crash is more likely to occur sooner.

Has anybody noticed something that may be causing the crashes and a possible fix?

I have no experience with the gp32/2x (I'm only here for the fenix stuff), however it does sound like this is a memory related problem, because of the crashes occuring sooner without actually turning off the console (which would totally wipe the memory).

Maybe there's something in the fenix runtime, or a common fenix function/s which leaves redundant data on the memory and this causes the game to crash (this seems logical). Also, it may not be a problem with the runtime, but with fenix itself (or one or more of fenix's functions) that leaves this redundant data on memory, and that you only notice it on the GP2X because Windows PCs have a much larger RAM and can therefore cope without crashing.

If I am right (which I may well not be) then the only workaround/fix is to always remember to unload everything that is not in use to try and keep down the pressure on the memory. This is generally a good idea, especially with the GP2X only having 64mb RAM. As it happends with every single fenix program it sound to me like an error in fenix or the 2X runtime, not your (or anyone elses) fenix code, but you could try that anyway.

I know this isn't a great help for solving your problem, but to me it sounds like the best explanation, and understanding a problem is half the way to fixing it.

Hello, I'm just curious as to whether other people are still experiencing random crashes when running Fenix programs on the GP2X. So far every fenix program I've tried has suffered from this and I can't see any common factor that could be causing it. I'm using the latest runtime (beta 4) and my GP2x has firmware 2.1.1. All of my own programs suffer from it yet they never crash in windows.
It seems really strange as sometimes it crashes within minutes and other times it can be half an hour or more. I have noticed that if it crashes once and you reload without switching off the GP2X it seems the crash is more likely to occur sooner.

Has anybody noticed something that may be causing the crashes and a possible fix?
Well I wrote Myriad, and it's 100% okay on the PC, but I have had reports of a couple of people who say that Myriad crashes on their system. I cannot see a reason for it and have not experienced this problem myself. I can only think that the Fenix runtime for the GP2X is still under development, and all the little bugs will eventually get sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back