Rant: I hate ASUS!!!!

I am planing on buying a new laptop soon, do you guys have any recomendations in terms of brands (I already know I shouldnt buy either Asus or Acer :p )

seems great however I didnt find that brand in any retailer website of stores that are near me :(

I've found Acer kit to be ok. I've had both a 26-inch LCD for 8 years which is only now going on the fritz (locks up, needs switching off once after the lock up and then the problems goes away as far as I can tell, i.e. it doesn't lock up again in the several hours in which I've carried on watching). I have a 17-inch LCD monitor which is till going strong after 12 years (Acer AL1731m fact fans).

My father-in-law's 17-ich Acer Aspire was woefully spec'd in terms of Ram and storage (1gb RAM, 80gb hd) for running Windows Vista 32bit. I recently stuck in 4GB of ram, a 500gb drive and Windows 7 64 bit and it runs pretty nicely for his purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Asus GeForce 9800GT GFX Card blew up shortly after warranty ran out, I bought an Gigabyte Card after that. However, my ASUS P5Q Mainboard is still working after 5 Years of daily usage, so the quality of ASUS products seems to vary.

I've heared that Asrock has very good quality but they don't make Laptops AFAIK.

Acer is an "cheap" brand imho, I never was convinced by Acer Laptops.

Thanks for the info guys

I will check the best model between these brands and get a laptop once I can afford it.

Thanks for the info guys

I will check the best model between these brands and get a laptop once I can afford it.
You can't go wrong with a clevo laptop (What sager uses I believe)

I got myself a metabox 230SS (Clevo laptop) and the laptop is fucking amazing. 13.3 inches (I believe the sweet spot for laptops) Core i7, 860m video card, and the most amazing 1080 IPS matte screens I have ever seen(They also have 3200x1800 glossy screens but I prefer matte), Solid state, wireless AC, the build quality is great and a 2 year warranty.  I paid 1350 for it (In Australia that's an amazing price)  I am loving playing ps2 on the train :)    Everyone who has a clevo laptop swears by it

http://www.metabox.com.au/store/b102/Metabox-Prime-W230SS-Laptop

This guys review is what sold me on it, it was clear he loved the previous version as well which had a 3 hour battery life, now that it has 6. Plus the passion and detail he goes to, he isn't a paid reviewer and well it just sold me.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges/750575-sager-np7338-clevo-w230ss-review-htwingnut.html

Now as for Asus my work bough 20 u31f laptops from them.  All 20 were sent back for warranty, it was a fucking joke and they didn't even fix the problem properly they replaced the part but it still had the same issue as before. The majority of the laptops the problem reoccurred again and the second the warranty ran out Asus went lol tough shit basically.  So we never buy Asus laptops anymore.

However you are right with their routers as well, bought 3x rt66ac routers all 3 of them the firmware fucks out on them.  However we just replace the firmware with DDwrt or Tomato and you are good as gold.  The routers are the best around once you get rid of their shitty firmware.

Thanks for the info guys

T.E.L.T.

ThinkPad (T, X, or, if you can afford it, W Series)

*Elitebook (P, or if you can aford it - W)

Latitude (or Precision, again, if you can aford it)

Tecra

*The cheapest Mobile Workstations at this moment are the Elitebooks W.

If you want a trully gaming laptop - Dell Alianware, but if you cannot afford it, check ASUS ROG G750. :)

Thanks for the info guys

T.E.L.T.

Tecra

If you want a trully gaming laptop - Dell Alianware, but if you cannot afford it, check ASUS ROG G750. :)

Look up the clevo/sager laptops.  Better than alien ware and costs 1/2 the price.

Thanks guys that was a great insight to what I should invest, I dont want any ferrari in the shape of a PC neither I want a beast or something.

My Acer Aspire 5742ZG was actually a nice laptop beyond it's many flaws like overheating, crashing after a bunch of random errors in it's graphics card and getting all crazy with lockups and lame drivers that stoped working that were onlly there to tell me that I had caps lock turned on lol.

I want a sturdy, reliable laptop that works great, that is affordable, that lasts more than 10 years if possible and doesnt look like a ferrari, I really liked the clevo/sager laptops but I would have to import them, plus they cost more than 1000€ that's way out of my league unfortunetly, but I will keep an eye for Toshiba, Lenovo and HP.

then get yourself a refurbished or new thinkpad! I love my two thinkpads, one is actually still a pentium 3, but I use it as a commandline terminal some times.

you will be surprised how sturdy they are if you've never owned one. and if the battery is dead, you will pretty much always be able to get batteries for thinkpads. I also really dig their industrial design, sleek but functional and solid as a brick.

Thinkpad sounds like my kind of laptop and the prices are really good! 

I want a sturdy, reliable laptop that works great, that is affordable, that lasts more than 10 years if possible and doesnt look like a ferrari
At least older Thinkpads were built like a tank. They were always fairly expensive for the hardware they packed, and affordable is quite subjective.  Is the Pandora affordable? Depends on whether it offers you features you want that you cannot find elswhere.  Is a Thinkpad affordable? Depends on whether you value the solidity, keyboard quality etc.

Speaking as one who has owned 5 thinkpads and is now on a Schenker XMG gaming lappy.

If I just had the money...

CF-52.jpg

http://business.panasonic.co.uk/computer-product/products-and-accessories/introducing-the-full-toughbook-range/semi-ruggedized-notebooks/cf-52

Guaranteed to survive the varranty time and past that. :D

You can get second hand thinkpads with matte screen, and they are incredible to work with.

Thanks guys that was a great insight to what I should invest, I dont want any ferrari in the shape of a PC neither I want a beast or something.

My Acer Aspire 5742ZG was actually a nice laptop beyond it's many flaws like overheating, crashing after a bunch of random errors in it's graphics card and getting all crazy with lockups and lame drivers that stoped working that were onlly there to tell me that I had caps lock turned on lol.

I want a sturdy, reliable laptop that works great, that is affordable, that lasts more than 10 years if possible and doesnt look like a ferrari, I really liked the clevo/sager laptops but I would have to import them, plus they cost more than 1000€ that's way out of my league unfortunetly, but I will keep an eye for Toshiba, Lenovo and HP.
You probably wouldn't have to import. In Australia we don't have Sager but metabox.  Clevo make good quality barebones laptops and other companies customize them.

Thanks for the info guys

T.E.L.T.

Tecra

Look up the clevo/sager laptops.  Better than alien ware and costs 1/2 the price.

I had some bad experiences in the past, with some other bare bone chassis, even some of them were equipped with a desktop instead of mobile hardware. :(

On other hand their price is really attractive. It will be nice if you share your experience with them :) How they perform in terms of noise and heating under load ?

:)

I wonder if HP EliteBook 725 G2 12.5" Touchscreen Notebook - AMD A-Series A10 Pro-7350B 2.10 GHz  with fullHD panel is going to be any good.

If you dont play heavy games, have a look at the novena laptop.

Edit: Turns out to be chiclet keyboard, forget i said anything.

Thanks for the info guys

T.E.L.T.

Tecra

I had some bad experiences in the past, with some other bare bone chassis, even some of them were equipped with a desktop instead of mobile hardware. :(

On other hand their price is really attractive. It will be nice if you share your experience with them :) How they perform in terms of noise and heating under load ?

:)
Sorry not sure what you mean by this.  Desktop hardware except for 2.5" drives is no way compatible with laptops.  If you had an issue with a desktop barebone that in no way translates to a mobile barebone, as it's a bit like building your own custom machine minus the motherboard really it's what parts you choose to put inside which makes the difference.

As for heat I notice it gets warm underneath but no way too hot to put on your lap however there isn't a laptop alive that doesn't get warm with use, I think it's quite cool actually compared with other laptops I have used and well that review I posted goes into detail.  It also has several different modes like performance and quiet mode if you chuck it on quiet mode everything underclocks and preservers battery life.  There is also a power saving mode as well. I actually noticed my x370 slim from MSI with a AMD 350 apu got hotter.

However it's not like I have pushed the laptop to the limits and played on it yet. Since I am using it on a train I am pretty much exclusively play FF12 and while taxing isn't very GPU heavy.  However you can always switch modes and sacrifice some FPS for a cooler running laptop.

Back