Razor switchblade portable 7'' pocket laptop

No thanks, I like the nubs and shoulder buttons too much. For me the only thing that could better the Pandora's form factor would be a second set of shoulder buttons (don't ask me how they would fit). And the ability for the screen to fold over like a tablet PC. Of course I would like a better processor and maybe a cellphone antenna, but meh * shrugs shoulders * form factor in this size machine is everything to me. That is really cool though!

useless if it doesn't have an Nvidia graphics card... being Atom, it should be able to have a pretty high-end GPU, but the specs I've seen so far don't give enough info. Personally, I think 5" is the highest you should really go with a "mobile gaming device"... 7" isn't truly 'pocketable' in comparison... it's 'mobile' and 'portable', which is fine, but that can't slide into just any pocket. The Pandora can fit in my pocket just fine with a wallet AND a mini wiimote with just enough space for my hand to still fit and "rummage around" if need be... THAT'S truly pocketable!

not to mention it's total lack of shoulder buttons! there is not a single gaming handheld on the market that doesn't have shoulder buttons...

Last edited by a moderator:
the only reason i would get something like that is for mmo games on the go like everquest 2 extended and warhammer online and those types of mmos games.

It doesnt seem to be great for games like FPSes, but as a device for mostly point and click games, i don't see any flaws. And remember its not a handheld (per say) It's still a net-book. (as per the lack of shoulder buttons) Personally, I still think Its a neat piece of hardware, and i cant wait to see what they do with the tech it in the future.

Official website says right on the front page it is a _concept design_, so it's pretty much guaranteed no one will be buying that model. I expect they'll switch over to a 28nm SOI HKMG AMD C-series platform on Windows 8 before any real product release, as that's pretty much the only way to make what they want to do really work.

There's no indication of using Ion instead of pure Intel, and Intel basically insured nVidia shut down their chipset division, which has hence been rolled into the Tegra division. So there should be no expectation of new parts, and the existing ones aren't really aimed at 7" netbooks.

I know it's a concept design and all (and I think it's a little too big to be practical for my requirements), but I would be quite interested in seeing what form it's in if it makes it to retail. More options for devices in such a form factor can only be a good thing, I think.

At first it looked awesome... but when realizing there are no gaming controls like d-pad, nubs or as previously mentioned "shoulder buttons"... it's hard to think about it as something other than the most powerful and smallest netbook to date.

Try picturing someone playing with it... holding it as a gamepad will probably look the best, but the layout seem to demand the "hands from above" approach(as with laptops/keyboards), so I get the picture in my head of someone using it on a table(which will never seem tall enough), hunched in a semicircle playing on such a "little" screen. Showing of a bunch of FPS games really put a nail in that particular "on the table" coffin, since you know there's gonna be a mouse involved.

It's in the never before dreaded Limbo between a Netbook and a Handheld... simply being neither(exception if it is targeted at age 7-12 or midgets as Netbooks).

Best hope comes with TV output or using it for watching movies or reading in bed.

Hi mate

there are keys as I have been told that are mapped so the d-pad can be used: e.g pressing a key acts a as diagonal direction, so playing fighting games will experience this new key mapping and your right that there is no shoulder buttons, but alot of requests razor got on the cultrazer forum was to include shoulder butttons, so it might be a possibility the final product may have them.

Also the device has a usb port, so you can add your own controller for d-pad, nubs, analogue controls e.t.c, the weight of the device will be lighter also in the final design.

The device price point is said to be the same price as normal tablets, so i assume it will be between 350-450 uk pounds. Also stated by razer was that the device will be affordable and priced around the region of the PANdora

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate

there are keys as I have been told that are mapped so the d-pad can be used: e.g pressing a key acts a as diagonal direction, so playing fighting games will experience this new key mapping, and again if you want to do a spinning kick there will be a key with an icon for that, it works similar to the 3ds streetfighter 3d, where you press a single touch and it does the combo move for you, they are trying to get rid of the d-pad and replace it with just a click of a button, this certainly is not a wise move, however the device will be powerfull to run top graphics and virtually all pc emulation, so you can have sega saturn and dreamcast and ps2 emulation on this device , that is why i might purchase this and wait for it to be released, I am giving the Pandora a miss as I have owned 4 and all seemed to have minor issues, such as one had PTOD, and the other had a problem with the nub, i.e. the nub kept drifting left when not touched, this is why I gave up on the Pandora, the design is brill, the community is great,emulation is brill put what let me down was the issues, the build i am not bothered about, but when you have owned 4 pandora units and all have issues, that just finished my interest in the device at that point

Your right that there is no shoulder buttons, but alot of requests razor got on the cultrazer forum was to include shoulder butttons, so it might be a possibility the final product may have them.

Also the device has a usb port, so you can add your own controller for d-pad, nubs, analogue controls e.t.c, the weight of the device will be lighter also in the final design.

The device price point is said to be the same price as normal tablets, so i assume it will be between 350-450 uk pounds. Also stated by razer was that the device will be affordable and priced around the region of the PANdora

Back