GP2X Reading Gp2x Serial Number

Has anyone got this working on a v2.0 / MKII?

It compiles fine, but returns nothing. Did GPH change something in v2.0?

Gadget posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
Has anyone got this working on a v2.0 / MKII?

*BUMP*

Not sure what happened here, I must have edited it last night instead of posting?

Last edited by a moderator:
More than likely, but you have the source code, and it's not that difficult the sniff the library between the menu and the os...

Hi guys.

Any idea how to fix Theoddbot's code to read the GP2X serial number on devices patched with firmware 2.0?

Any help and any points in the right direction is appreciated :)

Thanks a million.

Kevin.

kevin posted on Oct 10 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
Hi guys.

Any idea how to fix Theoddbot's code to read the GP2X serial number on devices patched with firmware 2.0?

Any help and any points in the right direction is appreciated :)

Thanks a million.

Kevin.

I think there is no /dev/i2c-0 device anymore.
No idea about fixing it.

rlyeh posted on Oct 25 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
I think there is no /dev/i2c-0 device anymore.
No idea about fixing it.

Hey Rlyeh, thanks for your reply.

There must be a way though, since the GP2X menu displays the serial number as well.

Does anyone know another way to access the EEPROM if the I2C device (/dev/i2c-0) is gone?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Should probably be able to monitor what the menu accesses as it looks up the serial number, at least if it is still accessing it as a /dev file

Mudi posted on Oct 27 2006 at 06:07 AM said:
Should probably be able to monitor what the menu accesses as it looks up the serial number, at least if it is still accessing it as a /dev file

Hi Mudi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Any idea how to monitor/sniff the menu accesses?

Kevin.

Open file handles are in /proc/<pid>/fd/ as symlinks in numerical order. A program could be written to log any changes to this directory, just make sure to resolve the symlink or it won't do you any good :) I wrote a program that did some of this once, I'll see if I can dig up the code.

EDIT: Meh, my code was lost in a HD crash, but check this out:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/lsof/
Probably can be compiled for GP2X. Some creative grepping and good timing might get you useful results from it.

If they have removed /dev/i2c-0 then perhaps they have removed the i2c driver code from the kernel and stuck it into the menu program.
If so looking at the file handles won't help much. It presumably would just open /dev/mem then mmap the i2c registers and start talking to the hardware.

stinch posted on Oct 28 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
If they have removed /dev/i2c-0 then perhaps they have removed the i2c driver code from the kernel and stuck it into the menu program.
If so looking at the file handles won't help much. It presumably would just open /dev/mem then mmap the i2c registers and start talking to the hardware.

Hi Stinch,

Alrighty, thanks for the suggestion, that makes sense. Any idea where to start looking opening /dev/mem using mmap? What would be a good approach, digging in the memory or trying to disassembling the menu thingie to find out where to read?

Thanks again!

Kevin.

Back