Really Simple Problems

Brit

Still Fresh
I'd like to apologise in advance to the simplicity of these issues I'm having.
I have read the tutorials and tried a few different things, but there seems to be some major problems with my Pandora Unit.

All these problems are in Desktop Mode XFCE4.

Problem 1: (No connectivity)
The unit does not "Find" Wi-Fi connections and attempt to connect to them. (I looked for a way to turn the WLAN off and on, and couldn't find it)

Problem 2: (Windows are too big)
When trying to set up manual network connections it's impossible to add any options. This is due to the window being "Too big" and obscuring what I presume are the "Apply" and "Cancel" buttons you normally get with such configurations. Even full screened the buttons are out of view.

Problem 3: (Stuck on one GUI)
I can't change the GUI. When I try to change it there's seemingly no response/ attempt in changing it. However, doing this once causes the "Session Manager" to become busy. When the session manager is busy I can't even shut down the unit.

Problem 4: (No shutdown)
When I select shutdown, it just reboots.

I do thank anyone who's read these painfully simple to solve problems. Please do post if you need a bit more information.

Note: A while ago I tried Ubuntu while my desktop computer was formatted and it's networking was not compatible with my current Wireless internet connection. A friend of mine had to supply me with some updated drivers to install. This did fix the problem.

1. Menu -> System -> Enable WiFi

2. Hold L-trig and klick-drag the window

3. Dunno

4. It won't stay off if you have power connected, the system needs to be running to manage charging.

Brit said:
Problem 1: (No connectivity)
The unit does not "Find" Wi-Fi connections and attempt to connect to them. (I looked for a way to turn the WLAN off and on, and couldn't find it)
The option to toggle the WiFi on and off is in, if memory serves, the "System" section of the Pandora-menu (I say "if memory serves", because I bound this to a hotkey and don't usually have to look in the menu for it).

(That said, when did you receive your Pandora? There was a very recent problem where some recent units had dead WiFi chips fitted.)

Problem 2: (Windows are too big)
When trying to set up manual network connections it's impossible to add any options. This is due to the window being "Too big" and obscuring what I presume are the "Apply" and "Cancel" buttons you normally get with such configurations. Even full screened the buttons are out of view.
Hold down Shift, or the left shoulder button which is also Shift, and then drag the offending window using the stylus or your finger. This will let you get to those buttons.

To add some extra value to this tip, it also applies to most other Linux systems, too - however, on most other Linux systems, you would use the Alt key for this instead.

Problem 3: (Stuck on one GUI)
I can't change the GUI. When I try to change it there's seemingly no response/ attempt in changing it. However, doing this once causes the "Session Manager" to become busy. When the session manager is busy I can't even shut down the unit.
Which Hotfix version are you using? If you haven't got it already, you may want to update to Hotfix 5. You can tell if you're on this by looking at the boot-up progress screen - if it's already updated to Hotfix 5, you'll see "HotFix 5" written in the upper-right corner.

Problem 4: (No shutdown)
When I select shutdown, it just reboots.
Would I be right in guessing that your Pandora is currently connected to its charger? If so, this is normal behaviour, as the device needs to be on in order to charge (most devices do, but the Pandora doesn't yet have the minimal "charging mode" that most other devices have). If I'm correct, then unplugging it will allow you to shut it down just fine.

I hope I've been able to shed at least a little light, here - and welcome to the forums, too. :)

EDIT: Double-ninja'd! :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh...

I never expected people to be so helpful... no offence but I expected snotty comments like: "Uhhh, Cheya... it's supposed to be... like... Easy..."

Thank you so much! Problems 1, 2 and 4 are solved.

Problem 3... @Al What's reflashing? @Prom It is at Hotflix 5... What should I do?

Questions: The WLAN turns itself off on every shutdown and restart, is there a way to force it on on a boot?
I heard Pandora was Flash compatible, is there something I'm missing when I can't get a video on YouTube to work?

Brit said:
Questions: The WLAN turns itself off on every shutdown and restart, is there a way to force it on on a boot?
I heard Pandora was Flash compatible, is there something I'm missing when I can't get a video on YouTube to work?

Menu -> Settings -> Startup settings

Flash and youtube is a bit flakey and requires lots of overclock, I'd give minitube a try first. Flash also has to be downloaded seperatly (I think it's included in the Firefox 4 Beta 10 PND)

Brit said:
Gosh...

I never expected people to be so helpful... no offence but I expected snotty comments like: "Uhhh, Cheya... it's supposed to be... like... Easy..."
We like to exceed people's expectations. ;)

Seriously, though, people in this community, both here and on the official forum, generally tend to be mature and helpful. :)

Problem 3... @Al What's reflashing?
I'm not Alerino, and I hope he won't mind me fielding this one, but "reflashing" refers to re-installing the OS and resetting the system to its factory state. Instructions are available here.

@Prom It is at Hotflix 5... What should I do?
I was just checking, as there was an issue in that vein which was fixed a while ago and which shouldn't, to my knowledge, be occurring with Hotfix 5. I can only defer to someone who knows more about that than I, or possibly suggest a reflash if nobody else knows, in this case.

Yes! I haven't had any need to force it on boot myself, but the option to do this should be somewhere in the Settings menu. Something like "Startup Services", I *think*, just going from memory.

Back