Release [Rebirth Competition] - Flyer Barrage

relliker

Introducing "Flyer Barrage"!

A simple shooter with moving targets who have a purpose!

The story-line:

You live in Pixelland, a country in perpetual war with Voxellandia, just 800 pixels away and separated by just a few hundred sea-(pi)xels.

Due to Voxellandia’s obsessive idea of obliterating anything 2D, the one-track-minded, forward-visioned (for all their 3D boasts) Voxellians

have decided to undertake a massive attack on your land using waves of Voxelopter Flyers. Just 5 of them passing the 800th pixel separating

your countries will win them the battle and your kind could be relegated to Voxel-licker status unless you do something about it.

You are defending your country from the air by hovering with your 2D Pixelopter over the international pixel-line that delineates the sea-(pi)xels

international waters of the two sides, the furthest point you can fly to without actually being accused of overstepping your pixels. You’re lucky that

the Voxellians are so intent on getting as near as possible to Pixelland’s shores that they don't even bother to look sideways,

thus becoming sitting duc errr….easy(ish) targets for your central pixelopter dual-pulse laser. What they DO realize however, is that every wave of Flyers

that they send is being continually destroyed and since they don’t lack graphic power the easiest way they know to force their way into your territory is

to just add more Voxelopters in each subsequent attack wave hoping that eventually enough of them get through to start the invasion of Pixelland.

You are tasked with holding the Voxellians at bay for as long as possible until Pixelland can prepare its defences and even mount its own attack against Voxellandia.

You know you will eventually get killed but you intend going out with a 2D bang and downing as many Voxellian Flyers as you can with your one piece of

light-spitting armament to delay the Voxellian entry into Pixelland territory.

We convey our best endurance-wishes for this endeavor and sincerely hope that you will find peace and a less stressful occupation in Val2Dhalla.

A couple of screenshots here.

Peace and Pandora,

relliker

cleardot.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would appreciate it if someone could do a private test of the Pandora pnd version of the game. Please pm me if you can try it out on a Pandora. I'll e-mail it or put it up somewhere for downloading. It's only 2.5MB.

I've done a lot of the game testing already, I'm just unsure if the pnd will work on any Pandora so you don't need to waste a lot of time bug hunting (although some will surely crop up as the game was actually written while I was learning Python!). Just plop the pnd on the Panda and see if at least it runs!

Thanks

relliker

Simple but addictive game. :) It is affected by some slowdown when there are numerous ships on screen; the nub movement seems to get a little jerky. Aside from that, some suggestions:

• Perhaps make start game (A) and fire (X) the same button? X would be good for both.
  • B to exit is odd and easy to hit accidentally. Maybe make this Esc? No biggie though, really.
  • The Rebirth banner is annoying on repeat plays, as it prevents you from starting the game quickly. You could hide this away on the credits screen if you wanted.

I'd love to see more levels and enemies. Maybe even touch support... it sounds like it would be cheating, but it was super fun in Space Varments.

Special shout out to Michaela for the cool artwork. :D

If you enter the credits screen, it does a) not end by itself (endless loop) and B) not give you a chance to end it (tried all kind of buttons). Only terminating the program helps.

Thanks for the comments and feedback. All good suggestions. Sandwhich and Trip had some good suggestions too and I'll try to implement as many as possible of them. Not now unfortunately, as I don't have access to my dev environment and code where I'm located right now. I'll be able to do some of the changes next week. If the game generates enough interest I will definitely try to enhance it further. It was fun to do and I got to learn python in the process!

Back