Rechargable Batteries Not Working For Me!

TripHamer

Still Fresh
I having problems with batteries. I tried some Alkalines and they only last for 2 minutes. I can only use the GP2x on my A/C adapter.

I tried some NiMH 2300 mah batteries and they don't work at all. I only get a white screen that slowly turns into vertical colored bars.

I just bought some new Energizer batteries 2500 mah NiMH and they do the same thing. I even scraped the contacts.

However my A/C adapter that I bought works fine. It puts out 3 volts and 1300mah. I was even able to upgrade to the 1.01 firmware without a problem.

Recharagable only put out (2 of them) 2.4v I guessing that something is wrong because other people have posted that their recharagables are working including the energizer that I bought.

Any suggetions before I send it back to GP32z.com?

Strange, maybe my unit is not bricked but I did just try some brand new alkalines.... I should try an A/C adapter. (Still think mine is bricked though)

I am having the same problem. Vertical colored lines, energizer 2500mAH, tried energize alkalines, lasted long enough to look thru all the menu's and install the sdl libraries. I haven't tried the ac adaptor yet, will though. Would like to know if I have a faulty unit or if I just need to look for better rechargables.

Make sure your batteries are making constant contact, When I put my rechargable batteries in one time it felt loose and i was getting the colored lines. I rubbed the contacts and rotated the batteries a couple of times and had it work just fine, I played a nice long game of Tile match and tested a couple of the other new games too... lasted much more than 2 minutes for me.

I have a question, has anybody used any batteries that weren't rechargable and how did they work compaired to rechargable?

the alkalines that come with the gp2x last about 30 minutes.
TripHamer, stupid question, but did you charge the accus? :-/

If you buy rechargable batteries they aren't charged. Even if you charge them first they don't have the full capacity. Maybe you dind't charge them at all? ;>

Vimacs posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:24 AM said:
the alkalines that come with the gp2x last about 30 minutes.
TripHamer, stupid question, but did you charge the accus? :-/

Probably even stupider question: what do you mean by accus? :)

I tried cleaning the contacts, rotating the batteries. Batteries are fully charged. But here's my thinking on that subject: It came with alkalike batteries. So IMO, that means, it's designed to run on them. Not just for 2 minutes. Perhaps in later production runs it will.

I also tried 1 rechargable and 1 alkaline to give me 2.7 volts instead of just 2.4 with 2 NiMH and that didn't work either.

Oh, the a/c adapter I bought is from walmart it's a universal one that puts out 3volts and 1.3 amps - it works without a problem.

What I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to connect the A/C adapter directly to the battery terminals. If it gives me a problem, I know that their is some issue. I know enough about electronics to do this.

I'm reluctant to take it apart because it's under warrenty. My thinking is that it could be either a solder issue or something to do with the LCD.

Even with the A/C adapter in, when I turn it on and get the black screen with the GP2X logo, it has some diagonal light stripes all across the screen and in some menu's where there are a lot of items to scroll thru (up and down) the screen flickers. Also I noticed that on some screens, when I move the joystick around, that near the center of the screen a small section looks like it's being effected by the joystick. This happened both before and after I upgraded to firmware 1.01. I'm considering that these may be firmware issues, but in light of things, perhaps not. I'll have to read more on that recall issue.

I just got it and would hate to have to send it back! :(

Thanks for your help everyone!

Forgot to mention. The alkaline batteries that only lasted 2 minutes still have plenty of charge in them and register as fully charged on my battery tester. I think that it's a voltage issue of some sorts.

UPDATE:

I connected the a/c adapter to the battery terminals and it works without a problem. I also checked the power output of the a/c adapter with a voltmeter. It's set at 3 volts and is actually putting out 3.3. So I conclude that it needs somewhere between 3 and 3.3 volts to operate properly. Rechargable are only 2.4 (2 X 1.2 volts) and alkalines are only 3.0 (2 X 1.5 volts).

I guessing that since that it works for others that there is a issue with mine that requires more voltage for some reason. I'll listen to all of your replies but it's looking like it needs to be returned! :( I'd keep it and just buy another one later down the road when all the kinks are worked out, but I consider that it's possible that at some point it'll die due to whatever is wrong with it.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back