Rechargeable Aa Batteries

Denus

Still Fresh
Website
mamecabinet.blogspot.com
I'm wondering if we'll be able to recharge the AA batteries without removing these from the GP2X.
I guess not, but it would be a nice feature: just plug the adapter on the handheld, and here you go.....

Denus posted on Oct 3 2005 at 04:00 PM said:
I'm wondering if we'll be able to recharge the AA batteries without removing these from the GP2X.
I guess not, but it would be a nice feature: just plug the adapter on the handheld, and here you go.....

You can't.

Plus there are so many different kinds, it would be impossible to support them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
it'd be the fastest way to destroy your 2X with exploding batteries that you forgot were still charging.

It's just safer to get an official charger, and most starter sets come with batteries and charger for a nice low budget price.

That really sucks though, as being able to just set your handheld down, plug it in/dock it, then when you are ready to go, grab it and go ... is just nice... i almost expect it now a days..

My laptop does it, my cell phone does it, my psp does it, etc. Yeah, they all use propriatary batteries... but so what?

The GP2X had better have a GOOD sleep mode, otherwise, that's a deal breaker.

Polymira posted on Oct 3 2005 at 09:06 PM said:
That really sucks though, as being able to just set your handheld down, plug it in/dock it, then when you are ready to go, grab it and go ... is just nice... i almost expect it now a days..

My laptop does it, my cell phone does it, my psp does it, etc. Yeah, they all use propriatary batteries... but so what?

They dont run on AA batteries. The rechargables in your laptop, pda, cellphone, PSP ect... they're built to work with the hardware they;re used in and thus makes their charging IN those devices a lot simpler.

Yeah. i know that, they are rechargable lithium ion batteries, and why could GPH go this route? I'm just saying, if this handheld gets a lot of use by a person (like i would), the consumer would want to be able to just plug it in and charge.

I just think it could go a better route the AA batteries. i know plenty of people who whine about having to take their digital camera's batteries out to charge every week or 2, let alone every day or 3 for a handheld.

I could see them using specific AA batteries (well, a specific specification) for rechargable batteries, so the handheld could charge them on it's own...

Besides, lithium ions used in laptops/cell phones/etc have a slow data connection going to the system to give full accurate and current access to info such as current battery life, etc. Something else that is very very useful for a portable device ....

Polymira posted on Oct 3 2005 at 11:44 PM said:
Yeah. i know that, they are rechargable lithium ion batteries, and why could GPH go this route? I'm just saying, if this handheld gets a lot of use by a person (like i would), the consumer would want to be able to just plug it in and charge.
They chose AA batteries because they're available everywhere you go, no matter what, very much unlike lithium ion battery paks for a specific device.
I just think it could go a better route the AA batteries. i know plenty of people who whine about having to take their digital camera's batteries out to charge every week or 2, let alone every day or 3 for a handheld.
Where's the logic in this complaint? They'd have to, at least, take out their battery paks every once in a while and plug those into a recharger as well. Worst case scenario, they'd end up leaving the device behind a la Nintendo DS.
I could see them using specific AA batteries (well, a specific specification) for rechargable batteries, so the handheld could charge them on it's own...
Why use specific batteries? Then they could never be used in any other device, and the increase in life would be minimal to decent nimh rechargable AAs. Also, why would you want the device to charge them on its own? You'd want to plug your GP2X into a wall outlet and let it sit around for 2 hours or more???
Besides, lithium ions used in laptops/cell phones/etc have a slow data connection going to the system to give full accurate and current access to info such as current battery life, etc. Something else that is very very useful for a portable device ....
:blink: you realise that you just weakened what remnants of an argument you still had, right?

Yeah, I agree, first my iPod and then my SP had lithium batteries, and I got used to them. Before that though I had game boys, nomads, cd player, etc. so I'm used to AA's. In fact, it might be a little refreshing to be able to through a few fresh rechargeable AA's instead of looking for a outlet to charge. I ordered these and got them today(had to get something for my GP2X, I'm holding off on the SD card as prices might drop).

Anyway, it's not that big of a deal, and since this unit uses more power than the SP it was wise leaving the lithium out as it would need a bigger one to power it. It could have raised the price considerably.

iignotus posted on Oct 3 2005 at 11:32 PM said:
They chose AA batteries because they're available everywhere you go, no matter what, very much unlike lithium ion battery paks for a specific device.

Ah, good point iigotus, I'll probably be using this device for years and years, when the old lithium dies from old age how likely do you think you'll be able to replace it if it did come with one?

Lets face it, if it's not a fuel cell it's dated now, right?

Thanx,
Stan

More specifically using a propritary battery would be more expensive for the production of the unit. regular batteries mean a regular battery compartment which in turn cuts a bit off the final price you pay.

A Li-ion battery wouldn't cost all that much more but i'm all for AA batteries over proprietory batteries, even my Pentax DSLR uses AA batteries.

I prefer it, as if I forget to charge the spare set (as I have b4) I can simply grab a 4 pack at any serivice station and not waste my trip... Conversely if the battery in my Nintendo DS runs out on the road I am pretty much screwed until I can charge it somewhere...

AA batteries is nice. Cheap, easy to charge and replace. The only negative is that the unit gets a big bump on the back where the battery compartment is located.

Using a AA charger you charge 4 batteries or more at the same time, this means that you can have 2 extras with you when you go while you have another set of 4 batteries at home charging. For a long jurney you can take all 8 with you and if you ever run out you can get AAs from many devices or buy them almost anywhere. They are also a lot cheaper.

The only problem with AAs as Eolair mentions is that they results in the big bump because they can't be shaped like a built in battery can. But if you want AAs for your non AA system you need to plug in an external AA device and that's even worse.

Would be nice to see a GP2X case with room for all accessories, 6-8 batteries and a bunch of SD cards.

nice link, second exodus! looks like the best price for that energizer set.
edit:
it charges in 8 1/2 hours??? whoah!!

joele posted on Oct 4 2005 at 05:05 AM said:
A Li-ion battery wouldn't cost all that much more but i'm all for AA batteries over proprietory batteries, even my Pentax DSLR uses AA batteries.
Actually I wasnt refering the the bettery itself so much as I was refering to the slot the Li-ion battery goes into. That's sure to cost a few pennies extra even if the battery itself dosent.

I haven't seen these mentioned but I've used Rayovac's 15 minute charger for quite a while for my digicam and they work great. The changer comes with 2AA and a 4pack is like $10

Bought them at Walmart.com

Charger
4 Pack AA

Battery Features:
* Perfect for digital cameras and other high-drain devices because they last up to 4 times longer than regular alkaline batteries
* Can be recharged up to 1,000 times
* Can be used in any device that requires AA batteries

Charger Features:
* Includes two I-C3 batteries
* I-C3 batteries can be recharged up to 1,000 times
* Automatic shut-off when batteries are charged

junker posted on Oct 4 2005 at 07:00 AM said:
nice link, second exodus! looks like the best price for that energizer set.
edit:
it charges in 8 1/2 hours??? whoah!!

Yeah, it takes 8 1/2 hours over an hour in other chargers. I like the slower chargers because they extend the life of the battery, I use cordless screwguns in my work and when they went to hour chargers the batteries didn't last as long, in work time or their entire life. So I always go for the slower chargers.

Besides, the unit will run that long anyway.

Thanx,
Stan

It depends, some battery manufactures say they improved their design. I'm not sure, I just know I won't need a fresh pair every 9 hours so this charger is fast enough for me. Cordless screw-guns switched a long time ago, and no longer offer the slow charge function, so I can't even test on the new models. When hour chargers first came out though they had normal and rapid charge, on normal the charge lasted longer and the life of the battery was longer. So it all depends, I just trust slower chargers over fast chargers.

Thanx,
Stan

Todays batteries, at least li-ion ones, shouldn't shorten their lifespan when reloading quickly or by not reloading fully. However, to make sure that your battery is fully charged you need to do the long time charge once in a while. I have a SE K750i and it's long time charge is 4h and that's quite nice. I don't know much about todays batteries when it comes to life span but sooner or later batteries get worse and then it's nice to not have a built in battery. They may need some kind of licence to use some other manufacturers replaceable li-ion batteries and they are also harder to get, you can't find them at a regular gas station etc.

For NIMH that fast charge (NDV method) last longer in use but less cycles, I prefer longer usage...

"NiMH batteries which use the NDV method or the thermal cut-off control tend to deliver higher capacities than those charged by less aggressive methods. The gain is approximately 6 percent on a good battery. This capacity increase is due to the brief overcharge to which the battery is exposed. The negative aspect is a shorter cycle life. Rather than expecting 350 to 400 service cycles, this pack may be exhausted with 300 cycles."

Back