Red Steel Gets 5.5 On Gamespot

ste_167

Website
Visit site
Disappointing news really, although I'm glad that I went for Zelda and SMB, as my gut-feeling about the game has been confirmed.

Apparently, the auto-aim is a little generous which seems a bit of a cop out by the developers. The aiming control via the remote was the make or break of this game, and previous reports had suggested that it was unprecise, which maybe explains this auto-aim business.

Has anyone here actually played the game? How fair is the Gamespot review?

IGN gave Zelda 9.5

I wish my TV could play Wii games, I have no scart. Any of you clever people know if a Wii would run on it?

the gamespot wii reviews really seem to be biased, they give all of the games a way lower score then the other sites.
For example, zelda got a 88 from them while it got way better scores evryware else, http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...wilightprincess
Red Steel got a 90 from ngamer and also a lot higher then 5.5 from all other places.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/redsteel

I call bs on gamespot, they really seem to be biased against wii.

That's a handy site, Vimacs. I may have a look at 'Trauma Center: Second Opinion' at some point, judging by those reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN gave Zelda 9.5

I wish my TV could play Wii games, I have no scart. Any of you clever people know if a Wii would run on it?

you can get scart to rf boxes ranging from £2.99 to £40+ ive used both a low and high end adapters from my dvd player to my 15 year old solavox tv and the more expensive one is alot better

an example on ebay

the gamespot wii reviews really seem to be biased, they give all of the games a way lower score then the other sites.
For example, zelda got a 88 from them while it got way better scores evryware else, http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...wilightprincess
Red Steel got a 90 from ngamer and also a lot higher then 5.5 from all other places.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/redsteel

I call bs on gamespot, they really seem to be biased against wii.

It coulde be because the wii requires energy to play and they had 1 burger too many.

Anyone remember when sony got sent to court for backhanders (mainly to game publishers). I wonder if they stopped that

I expect the gimmick of the new controller will make it an interesting game to play. You could always cancel your pre-order, but I'd want to try it for myself. I'll be buying it at some point.

I have a feeling that Far Cry will turn out to be the best of the launch FPS's.

so does the Wii force you to use the Wii-mote for its games or can you use the GameCube controllers for the games as well?

Also with Gamespot, what makes that site good is that YOU, the PLAYER, can also cast a vote as to how good a game is, and so far the players score is 6.7. Thats not terrible, but its not entirely good either.

Honestly this game does look like a disappointment. It doesn't really read like a 'biased review', the problems are very specific. Usually, a biased review won't state factual bugs, it'll list generic blanket statements like 'bad graphics', or 'crappy music' or 'clumsy controls' without any specifics. This article is VERY specific. Honestly, the first thing that struck me is that the promotional shots looked enormously better than the real game does-- the real game looks jagged with low-resolution textures lacking any real detail, stairstepping everywhere, while promo media showed smooth, high-res, high-poly visuals with antialiasing. Most Wii games look just like their original promo media did-- this is resorting to the kind of tactics used to sell the PS3/XB360 with prerendered garbage. Quite dishonorable..

It's too bad if the Wiimote gunplay is shoddy. I'm sure this is an issue in their implementation, as demos we've seen already demonstrate very accurate tracking of where you point it, e.g. the archery features in Twilight Princess demonstrations at E3 which were live working demos of the game, not technology tests. I'm sure other FPS'es will get it right, something I greatly look forward to. Terrible analog-stick based controls are what keep me away from console FPS'es. :(

so does the Wii force you to use the Wii-mote for its games or can you use the GameCube controllers for the games as well?
Current evidence seems to suggest that games that specifically expect use of the Wiimote like the sports games will rely on it but you'll be able to use a Gamecube controller for things that just expect regular controller input. Which is good, since I find the NGC controller to be one of the most comfortable I've used, up there with the Dreamcast and Genesis 2 controller (6-button).

Shit, I'd buy a Wii and extra Wiimotes just to get a party game of Far Cry going on something besides the fucking 360 controller. The controls alone destroy that game for me. It's so much fun on a PC. :( I wish LAN party still meant 'PCs networked together', not '2 Xbox 360s and 8 controllers'.

I picked up a Wii w/ Zelda. I also picked up Red Steel as an impulse buy when i was checking out.

I will confirm that its certainly not a spectacular game. On the other hand, it doesnt deserve a 5.5 either. I'd give it around a 7, lower if i cared about the graphics. (some parts look beautiful, but others look like N64 era). The controls are kinda finicky, but you get used to them fast. On the other hand, using the slingshot in Zelda doesnt take any getting used to at all: it just feels natural.

Bottom line:
Its not a total waste of money, and is fun to play around with. I cant really recommend anyone get it new though. For someone who buys a Wii later, it might be a nice used game to pick up along with it.

My TV is so old, it just has the old one plug thingy in it. I can use my N64 with it via an adapter, so if the remote doesn't need the scart I might pick one up.... Thanks for the replies.

But has anyone played Zelda? That's all I wanna know...

I was buying zelda, and I decided before picking up the wii that I wanted an FPS to try out as well, with these new controls. So I checked out red steel, call of duty, etc. I found CoD3 had a better rating, and I had initially thought red steel wasnt great, so I got CoD3.

I like it, after you get used to the controls it becomes fun :D

I find it funny reading some things on the gamespot forum about low ratings of wii games especially zelda wich 8.8 to me is actually quite high. People who think that they are giving the wii lower ratings look at the ps3 ratings too they are all under 9. most people complaining about zeldas score hadnt even played it.

I expect the gimmick of the new controller will make it an interesting game to play. You could always cancel your pre-order, but I'd want to try it for myself. I'll be buying it at some point.

I could... but I'd lose my £2 deposit then...

Is Far Cry a port of the PC version or is it an entirely new game like Instincts was? (The Instincts games were really good, btw, but I'd like to play the original and I don't want to have to use Windows to do it.)

Is Far Cry a port of the PC version or is it an entirely new game like Instincts was? (The Instincts games were really good, btw, but I'd like to play the original and I don't want to have to use Windows to do it.)

Cadega??

Cadega??
That's a pain in the ass. I'm better off dual booting.

Gamespot seems to be very biased against the Wii, but from what I've heard about Red Steel, it sucks. The enemies dont move, the turning is horribly slow and bad, and the character models are bland. I was really pumped for this game, but after release all my excitement towards it died.

Back