Remove 'closed' Threads From The Front Page

Alpha2

Heroic Autobot
Website
the-real-alpha2.com
I'm getting tired of clicking though the recent thread links on the front page only to find nonsense threads like the one about FF3 being better than BoR.

If it's a obvious troll thread, why even allow it to exist? Just delete the thing and give the space it takes up to something useful. I sure as hell dont want to read it especially if I cant chime in and flame the retard that posted it because it's already locked.

I can understand if you dont want to delete threads out of some sense of completion or if there are just too many to delete but there should be a way to hide locked threads from the front page.

i agree with that

Also, that robot in your sig is the worst char in Vampire Saviors. :p

i also agree with kuriboh also. although not about not the avatar, because I agree with pAIN about that...

There are a few instances where it might not be such a good idea to do this - for example, if someone's asked a question, but there's another relatively active (or for that matter, inactive) thread happening somewhere, and its been closed on that basis, then perhaps its worth leaving there, simply because there will be a link to the other active thread.

Especially so with the new board, considering one post no longer bumps the thread up to the top - just a few pages, or so I gather.

However, trolling threads, I'm with you all the way.

Maybe we should get another button marked "troll" in our user - much like the "report" one, but automated - which simply adds one to a counter. If, say, 250 people within 5 days vote someone as a troll, their threads get ignored by the alogrithm that chooses threads to go on the front page.

It'd be nice, but would it be possible?

There are a few instances where it might not be such a good idea to do this - for example, if someone's asked a question, but there's another relatively active (or for that matter, inactive) thread happening somewhere, and its been closed on that basis, then perhaps its worth leaving there, simply because there will be a link to the other active thread.

Especially so with the new board, considering one post no longer bumps the thread up to the top - just a few pages, or so I gather.

However, trolling threads, I'm with you all the way.

Maybe we should get another button marked "troll" in our user - much like the "report" one, but automated - which simply adds one to a counter. If, say, 250 people within 5 days vote someone as a troll, their threads get ignored by the alogrithm that chooses threads to go on the front page.

It'd be nice, but would it be possible?

Hmmm - interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
250 might be a little on the generous side, maybe 125? I'd hope something like this can be implemented, I think it would certainly help keep the board clear and friendly.

Maybe you should volunteer to code it. It's open to abuse, just like a 'Gong' function I encountered once which allowed users to delete items that had a certain number of 'gongs' automatically. People might use the 'troll' button for things they merely disagree with, or 'mod' a known troll's post down even if it's perfectly innocent. Users could exact vengeance on people who may have acted badly before by removing their threads. This is assuming the threads get removed - if it were just a case of not appearing on the front page, I don't think even 125 users would be motivated enough. Most polls don't get anything like that amount of votes.

I think the problem is just that we overlooked this eventuality. Since the thread's 'lock' status is just a database field, hando could probably just make a minor change to his SQL to remove locked threads (and hidden ones, if not already done ;) )

I think I will start to make threads invisible instead of locking them. That way they are still around for reference but, because they're invisible, nobody can post to them (not even mods I think). Trolls beware!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back