Ren'Py possible on Pandora?

DrasticNerd

Script Kiddie
This is probably a dumb question but I am mildly curious as to why Ren'Py has never been given the Pandora treatment.

This is not a hint for an app (I don't play much VN games and the few I do, I play on computer) I am merely wondering why it was never done in the Pandoras long lifespan.

I assume it is technically possible - at least to some degree - seeing as there are a few games on the Repo that use the RenPy engine (e.g. Narcissu)

Could somebody please ELI5 the reasons why not?
I assume the big one was simply lack of interest given the smaller library of games available for this engine. Compared to say AGS or EasyRPG (RM2K + RM2K3 games).
My other guesses are:
  • limitations of screen size (The minimum display window for some games would be larger than the Pandora display. This would force rescaling or cropping - either option would be difficult to achieve and produce an undesirable output for the end user - or leave those games unplayable in the app)
  • engine limitations? Every RP game I have seen RenPy packaged within the game. IDK if it is even possible for Ren'Py to work like an emulator - i.e. one to many - where you have one application load many games.

I already played a game with it on the pandora, i think its included in codeblocks or something.
I wanted to package it, but it ran very poorly and i wasnt in the mood for a task...

Maybe?

Ptitseb's wxpython PND has some mentions of it.

Interesting, @TrashyMG

Forgive my ignorance (I don't Python. Or even compile... :() What is this and how would it work?

Is this a compiler that could be used to create a game engine for Ren'Py (similar to how ScummVM works)? Or could this be used to create a RenPy runtime that would be placed in the folder of each game? Or should I put these questions to @ptitSeb ? :confused:

wxPython is PND that brings a full python environnement for developpement. It's a like if you add done a bunch of `sudo apt install ...` related to python stuff on a Debian linux. Ren'Py runtime is there. Adapted to the pandora.
Just download it and try it.

Back