Is Multiplayer Possible On The Pandora?

Some emulators allow you to connect to a friend theough the internet as long as you have their IP address. I know I was give the option of playing my friend at Yugioh on a GBA emulator once on my laptop. So if this is possible how hard would it be to adjust that functionality to work via wifi, either throught he net or even ad hoc?

Well if Pandora run linux, and has linux drivers for the wifi hardware, then yes multilayer will possible as long as then the game would have to take advantage of it.

I don't think that multiplayer over bluetooth would be able to send enough data, and I don't see the benefits of using wifi if you're in the same room / area, its the same as playing online normally, so I really dont think 'ad-hoc' multiplayer makes sense

PoisonedV said:
I don't think that multiplayer over bluetooth would be able to send enough data, and I don't see the benefits of using wifi if you're in the same room / area, its the same as playing online normally, so I really dont think 'ad-hoc' multiplayer makes sense
bluetooth should be fast enough, it's certainly faster than 56kbps and we played multiplayer games over the net back then with modems that fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yigguth said:
I heard someone was working on a matchmaking client for the pandora similar to xbox live
edit: It was called TINXL

As in dating matchmaking? You are aware girls can't use niche products like this, right? Their brains arn't made for it...

:p

God Ginrai said:
Not to mention, like dsleaf67:

dsleaf67 said:
Just a note. There still may be a need with niche devices. I have 2 zodiacs and 2 gizmondos for multiplayer gaming. Admittedly gizmondo was not the best as the bluetooth is still somewaht locked down and not properly usuable. However, the zodiac was awesome for multiplayer,

Edit: Even for non niche devices I have 2 psp's for the samething.
I have 2 DSes that I use for multiplayer.

-God Ginrai

Yeah, when I stepped up to a DS Lite, I kept my DS Phat just for multiplayer. I have a few friends who have DSes, but not that many, and they don't always have it with them. It's nice to be able to say, "Wanna play a quick game of Mario Kart?" and not have to worry about whether or not they could say yes even if they want to.

But with the Pandora, I'm more concerned about local multiplayer. Online would be nice, but with TV out this thing will be great for plugging in a couple of USB controllers and playing with friends.

PoisonedV said:
Blue tooth would depend on the game. something that requires split second timeing wouldnt be very capable, Blue tooth is best for sending files or a constant connection to a single device like a headset or other controller, mouse keyboard.

I think you're confused on the use of ad hoc. This is most often used to describe a non inferstructer based connection. one person connecting directly to another. Ad hoc is how the DS and PSP connect to each other, via wifi in the same room. Wifi is also certainly capable of a stable enouh connection to a router in order to play others through the internet as I've done so with both my PSP and DS already.

Can the hardware do it? Absolutely, without question.

Can the software do it? Well, that's rather difficult to code, keep in sync, and deal with networking issues. Look at PC emulators: Not many have netplay, and for good reason. It's usually either very laggy or has problems with dropped packets and ping times. Local multiplayer doesn't have it nearly as bad as far as network traffic and error correction, but the code is still quite nontrivial to add in the first place, and it still has to deal with these issues.

CandidStan said:
That's what I was going to say, unless you're a niche asshole who has 3 friends lucky enough to own Pandoras.
I plan to work hard to get at least 2 other acquaintances to buy a pandora, e.g. in the local LUG, but I do hope that they will be more than that.

post Linux Day Pandora LAN party FTW :)

Back