Repeating Games

thegrimreaper

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I'm trying a few of the many (over 700) games that are available for Mame and I've noticed that there are often a few versions of the same game, just with different names.

Does anyone have a list of "the" game to play for each version, this would save a lot of space on the SMC card and get rid of the "I've just opened that one" you can sometimes get.

Iorgy77 posted on Aug 13 2005 at 11:33 PM said:
The mame 32 frontend tells you which games are clones of each other if thats what you mean.

Ah, you mean the Windows graphical front end for Mame. Yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

What I'm really looking for is a text file listing the games which are clones. I'm hoping I could integrate this into the new Mame frontend and give an option to hide any clone games (if the original is there).

Last edited by a moderator:
thegrimreaper posted on Aug 14 2005 at 11:29 AM said:
Iorgy77 posted on Aug 13 2005 at 11:33 PM said:
The mame 32 frontend tells you which games are clones of each other if thats what you mean.

Ah, you mean the Windows graphical front end for Mame. Yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

What I'm really looking for is a text file listing the games which are clones. I'm hoping I could integrate this into the new Mame frontend and give an option to hide any clone games (if the original is there).

That would be really neat!
Since MAME32 does this already, maybe you can find out how they did it by looking at the source. Or politely ask on their forums or one of the developers or so.

EDIT: Another useful feature: It would be nice if one could mark games as "working" or "keep" and then have the frontend delete all the roms that are unmarked. That way, one could easily wipe unwanted games from the SMC - not only clones.

I have a "no clone" list and a list that has the "parent" followed by all of its "clones", as it applies to MAME 0.34 and the gamelist.txt provided with the GP32 version.

It's what I've been using to test stuff out (and to note which ones I intend on keeping around for casual use).

Would you like the list posted here or would you prefer it emailed?

The "no clone" list is 429 sets long.

horn posted on Aug 16 2005 at 01:17 AM said:
I have a "no clone" list and a list that has the "parent" followed by all of its "clones", as it applies to MAME 0.34 and the gamelist.txt provided with the GP32 version.

It's what I've been using to test stuff out (and to note which ones I intend on keeping around for casual use).

Would you like the list posted here or would you prefer it emailed?

The "no clone" list is 429 sets long.

Thanks for the advice, but I've been digging around in the code again and I think there's a way to do it from there. That way it would automatically get updated as new games are added.

Back