Repo rating system: 5 stars or binary ratings?

Going off on a tangent, but just to comment on the login/API key stuff in PNDManager:

A real login-based API key fetching interface in PNDManager would require a coordinated effort from me (adding the user interface and qtpndman support), Milkshake (adding a public API call for exchanging login credentials for an API key) and Cloudef (adding support for the API call to libpndman).

Another possibility would be to use some of the features in latest Qt versions for digging up information from a WebView (so you'd log in to the website inside PNDManager, then the view could be redirected to the page hosting the API key and it could be scraped off the page content), but this is really really clunky, not to mention would add considerably to PNDManager's already hefty PND size, also not to mention there aren't any recent Qt5 builds floating around with working QtQuick support AFAIK.

In any case, the precious resource it needs the most is dev time. I currently have little to offer because of other projects, and even if I did my time alone wouldn't fix the issue :)
Still on that tangent:

Perhaps a good stopgap measure would be an interface screen which directs users where to find the API key on the repo web page and allows you to enter (or paste) it directly into PNDManager itself?
- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus (bonus) there is already an end point for getting the api key Cloudef knows about it

Can some adult come hold my hand and walk me through this?

I tried generating a new API key, and, when using that, got the same errors I was getting before.  After transcribing it I checked it forward and backward and counted the characters a few times to make sure it was correct.  PNDManager presents me with the option to rate and comment, however when I try to do so it gives me an error informing me it couldn't update it or something.  I was thinking generating a new key would solve the problem, but it didn't.  I just checked "My Downloads" and it still doesn't list anything, including those things I have downloaded since adding my info.  

I promise you, I am not as incompetent as I must seem.  Just nearly so.  Sorry for the problems.

I can't highlight it to copy.  It shows up in the source, so I guess I can snag it from there, but if it is the same it doesn't change anything.

Edit:  I also noticed while looking at the source for the page that all of the characters don't show up in the little area that I can't highlight, so I am guessing that is my problem...

I copied and pasted mine in... what is wrong with your browser where you need to look at the source code to see the apikey in your profile settings?

I copied and pasted mine in... what is wrong with your browser where you need to look at the source code to see the apikey in your profile settings?
I'm wondering what browser you're using that lets you do this. Using Firefox I have the same issue as rygD. The text box is about 3 characters too short (I hadn't noticed this before because I copied and pasted the API key from the page source view myself without trying to copy it manually) and the text is unselectable, and as best I can tell can't be copied directly from the page.

- Neelix

I'm wondering what browser you're using that lets you do this. Using Firefox I have the same issue as rygD. The text box is about 3 characters too short (I hadn't noticed this before because I copied and pasted the API key from the page source view myself without trying to copy it manually) and the text is unselectable, and as best I can tell can't be copied directly from the page.

- Neelix
Double click to select words (letter-digit combinations without spaces in between). This works on the api key field.Drag the text somewhere else, works too.

But yes, the field is too short and strange all in all.

Meh.  It is Opera.  I like it enough not to bother with others for most things.  Regardless, my issue remains, and I pretty much don't feel like trying to get it to work anymore.  My guess is that if I am having issues others have as well.  Even if no one had to fight with PNDManager and the repo to get everything working, it is still not obvious what is required, and it probably requires too much effort for some.

- Neelix
Yes, the displayed key was 3 characters too short for me as well, and not selectable with Opera.  I don't think QupZilla has these issues.

Double click to select words (letter-digit combinations without spaces in between). This works on the api key field.
Drag the text somewhere else, works too.
I just tried this, and it did not work for me for the key.

I think a big thing to learn from this is things that might make rating and commenting too much effort for some should be avoided with the Pyra.

Back