Report from Ohio Linux Fest

groovechicken

I went to Ohio Linux Fest this past weekend and took my Rebirth as my only computer. I had it out taking notes in talks and checking email occasionally. I expected to bump into people who either had one, wanted one, or at least recognized what it was.

I met only 3 people who knew what it was, and each of them wanted to test it out since they had been considering getting one.

I had somewhere around 10 people ask me what it was, and a number of people give a sideways glance trying to figure out what it was.

Just thought others might also find it surprising that so few among the Linux crowd are aware of the OpenPandora. We should consider if we want more attention and, if so, how we will attract it. One guy went straight to eBay and started bidding after playing with it for 2 minutes.

I am hoping to go to SouthEast Linux Fest next Summer, so it might be worth entertaining the idea of trying to get a talk in the schedule about the Pyra.

I wonder if the Pandora's origin as a handheld gaming machine (albeit one with a keyboard, and software choices that pushed it into being a full computer) means lots of Linux geeks see it as frivolous, or not part of their niche?

So it's good to have dudes like your good self going out there and showing it off. I hope we can be more proud of the Pyra, as the Pandora was always good, but yeah it was massively late and cost more than initially promised etc., which is still part of it's story.

Columbus it Seems. http://www.ohiolinux.org/

It seems interesting, I've driven from Vermont to Ohio for weekend events in the past.. Only 11ish hours of driving (one way).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when the Pandora was first announced/first units shipped it made quite a splash in the Linux community, but all those issues after that...

Maybe the Pyra will take off better, but on the other hand the market changed a lot since then and I don't know if demand is still the same (plus, I think when compared to the top portable devices of the time Pyra will have worse CPU/RAM specs than Pandora at first unit shipped).

Just thought others might also find it surprising that so few among the Linux crowd are aware of the OpenPandora. We should consider if we want more attention and, if so, how we will attract it. One guy went straight to eBay and started bidding after playing with it for 2 minutes.
I am very active on some parts of the desktop linux scene as well, and I can confirm that. There is close to Zero Awareness of the Pandora.  

Well, there's not much budget to make huge marketing campaigns - and even then it would be hard to reach Linux users.

That's where everyone from the community can help!

Spread the word, let everyone know, share news and videos, especially in Linux communities where you are.

Doesn't need to happen right away, but once the first prototypes are ready shortly before the preordering and the production starts!

We really need to make as many people aware as possible. And through social media networks, forums, etc. and the help of everyone here, this is entirely possible!

I wonder if the Pandora's origin as a handheld gaming machine (albeit one with a keyboard, and software choices that pushed it into being a full computer) means lots of Linux geeks see it as frivolous, or not part of their niche?
I frequently forget about it being designed for gaming when first telling someone about it, until I look at it and see the gaming controls.  Most of the people who ask me about it seem interested in it because it is a full tiny Linux computer, and because it can be used for games.  Even those who don't seem interested in it for games still seem quite interested in it, but I never ask if gaming is part of that.  I think a bigger problem is that too few people know about it.  I don't know how I initially found it, probably through looking for a Linux gaming handheld, but most of the Linux people I know only know about it through Pandora owners.

One thing I wonder about is if the price is the main deterrent.  I occasionally come across discussions where people try to judge it based on price vs. specs.  I am pretty sure most of us understand there is a lot more to consider than that, but of those that do find the Pandora and Pyra, some will look at it like this.

Well, there's not much budget to make huge marketing campaigns - and even then it would be hard to reach Linux users.
I have some ideas.  I don't know the cost of some of these, but I am willing to share them with you if you want.

That's where everyone from the community can help!
Spread the word, let everyone know, share news and videos, especially in Linux communities where you are.
I try, but I am not very social.  Maybe if I was sent a prototype or early Pyra I can try to raise awareness with that.  It wouldn't be for me to use, just to help advertise and show functionality, I promise. ;)   

Some comunities should be contacted at events, like the chaos computer club in germany. It seems they could use it for there work as a tool and spread it out in there own world

Yeah, problem with Linux users is that it's not that they are not many of them, but they are spread in small communities or isolated. So there's no BIG HUB where you can reach them all eas 

Some comunities should be contacted at events, like the chaos computer club in germany. It seems they could use it for there work as a tool and spread it out in there own world
That is the direction I was thinking.

Yeah, problem with Linux users is that it's not that they are not many of them, but they are spread in small communities or isolated. So there's no BIG HUB where you can reach them all eas 
Seems you are right.  This community seems to be my main interaction with other Linux users.  Would something like DistroWatch get a lot of people?

I am very active on some parts of the desktop linux scene as well, and I can confirm that. There is close to Zero Awareness of the Pandora.  

In the company I work, nearly everybody knows  this geeky little box with keyboard (My little Pandora). But 99% of them are afraid of Linux  :( . Even the few people who barely use Linux (cause sometimes they have to ^ ^ ) do not see the benefit / coolness of the Pandora :( .

I keep it as a goal that I installed a Raspberry Pi @ my parents and @ the parents of my girlfriend. It is really a tough job to convince Windows Users to switch to Linux.

--update --

@topic

I remember that there were a few 'Heise' or  'Golem' articles out there about openPandora / Pyra, I mean even   - mainstream - IT interested people could have read about the Pandora.

Both 'Heise' & 'Golem' are very popular in Germany. Hardly everybody who works in 'IT' in germany reads one of them.  IMHO.

I found that there are the following groups:

• high price consumers.
in this group that spends money on things, the apple fans. They understand the price, but think this is not their niche. They are casual gamers. Their ipad/iphone has all they need. They want something that just works, and do not want to fiddle. Might want to buy one, but then sell it with little use.

• the unix admins.
They consider it a toy and not a tool. As they play with bigger gear. Mostly visually impaired, the screen is deemed too small for serious work. They still ask me the specs and are genuinely interested.

• El cheapo
Then there is the windows users, who just think its too expensive. They usually have an android that does all things they already need. Or have cheaper alternatives. cheaper mp3 player, cheaper tomtom, bigger tablet for movies, etc.

• Gamers
Then there are the gamers, who are not retro-gamers and think it is underpowered. And more inclined towards x86 instead of ARM. They have already a game platform and will not switch.

• Us
Then there are these guys and gals that fall inbetween. Artisans, hardware hackers, embedded programmers, retrogamers, opensource fans, I-go-against-the-mainstream-my-way people. And not afraid of Linux.

The Pyra could additionally target those people who want a portable, quiet fanless computer. I know I was hooked when I saw the C64 emulation. However, I grew to use it as more than a game computer. (an overly expensive ogg/mp3/flac player). The target should be broader.

What we need to do is get a Hollywood movie get a hacker to use a pandora to hack into something. That would increase the coolness value.

What we need to do is get a Hollywood movie get a hacker to use a pandora to hack into something.
I have been thinking that it would be amusing if it popped up in a big budget action movie a few years down the road as a semi-important prop for something like this.  I bet if it was a successful movie the prices (remember, this is happening in the imaginary future) would increase.  Maybe not a whole lot, as Atari Portfolios are still affordable.  Actually, I typically see much higher prices on other DOS palmtops that I don't think have appeared on big screens or little ones.

That would increase the coolness value.
I don't think this is possible.  Maybe with some amazing new software.  Or a metal case...

Interesting analysys, FBnil. Just a couple of notes.

• the unix admins.
...snip...Mostly visually impaired, the screen is deemed too small for serious work.
Bit harsh. About half the nixy people I know wear glasses. Granted, a few I haven't kept in touch with clearly don't care about health and hygeine and meet the BOFH stereotype, but those are few and far between. Although granted, we're mostly devs, rather than admins.
  • Gamers
Then there are the gamers, who are not retro-gamers and think it is underpowered. And more inclined towards x86 instead of ARM. They have already a game platform and will not switch.
There are those who nail their colours to the xbox, nintendo, sony or x86 PC mast, but I'd hope that with the increased visibility and viability of indie gaming brought about by things like the humble indie bundles, we could point out that that's what the Pandora and Pyra are about (for gamers like me at least). The Pandora's starting to get a little long in the tooth for the latest games, but the Pyra should kickstart our capabilities once again.

I have a http://www.linuxvoice.com/ subscription. This is an excellent Linux magazine. I'm pretty sure that they are open for an article about the Openpandora, the Pyra, or an interview with ED.

You can suggest articles here: http://forums.linuxvoice.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151
And this type of magazine is one of the other directions I was thinking about.  I think as preorder time approaches maybe we can get interviews with ED or Pyra articles in such magazines.

What are some of the mainstream IT and tech magazines?  Would any of those be interested in the Pyra?  I know I have seen some interesting stuff in non-technology oriented magazines, so maybe we can try to get their attention as well.  Moving away from magazines, maybe ED can make a Super Bowl commercial.  ;)  It worked for Macs.

I think mainstream media will help with increasing awareness.  Maybe a Pyra can be donated to MythBusters.  Actually, the 2 remaining guys may not be into it as much as a particular former member.  I dunno, maybe Wil Wheaton or Felicia Day would like it.

Back