Request: Dual Boot

javaJake said:
I would also be in favor of this. A device geared for gaming as its first priority should have a boot option that represents that priority.

Unless the "FB gui" is the minimalistic GUI, in which case, hooray! :p
Yes, FB stands for frame buffer, and this option will launch the GMenu2X style GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter said:
Your game on X is like filtering the oats in your beer through a horse first.
or coffee through a cat?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

@icurafu:

runlevels or an x startup script will give you what you are asking for.
For instance on my laptop I currently don't have kdm/gdm/xdm installed, when I boot it goes to the command line, and I do "startx" to launch X if I want it. You don't have to go to the trouble of dual-booting unless you want to load a different kernel (I could sort-of see someone doing this, you could chop out wifi or any other features you don't use to try and reduce startup time and kernel memory footprint, but then again it would probably be minimal, I'm guessing the Pandora devs have or will chop out everything they can get away with removing already)

er... distracted myself

Anyway, I think this is a non-issue, it isn't that you won't get what you want(fast boot time and low memory footprint), but that there's a better way to give it to you.

Also, even if you do have X running and launch a game, as long as there is a way to kill X while launching the game, there shouldn't be any memory impact as it will invalidate all of X's memory pages.

Personally I'm wondering if I can use my favorite window manager (ion3) with the Pandora just for kicks (and also if it will be worth using, might not be aq fit, but we'll see...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back