Request: Public Domain Pandora Image For Wikipedia

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
The WikiCommons people insist on deleting this Pandora image (it hasn't been deleted from the English Wikipedia yet, but it probably will be soon). So I asked what proof they would need that the image was indeed released into the public domain, besides EvilDragon saying so.

The answer:
I think I would need the release to the public domain to be recorded in the OTRS system so that a permanent record can be kept. Can you ask the copyright owner to send confirmation to permissions-commons@wikimedia.org, mentioning by name the image in question? Please ask him to make it clear that the image is public domain for all purposes (eg, wording like "OK for use on Wikipedia" is not good as that may imply it is available only for that use). The email should be sent from a domain which can be clearly identified with the copyright owner. If you would like to let me know when the email has been sent, I will check whether the release sent is OK, and if it is will happily undelete the image for you.

I think it would be beneficial to have an image on Wikipedia, so... perhaps someone from the team could send a message?

Releasing it under the public domain isn't the only option; an image could also be released under Creative Commons 3.0, which basically means that it's free for everyone to use as long as credit is given to the source, any modifications must also mention the original, and it can't be used for profit unless a separate agreement is signed.

yes it would be good with a pandora image on wikipedia, but they should make a new render of a open pandora with the new case-design.

which basically means that it's free for everyone to use as long as credit is given to the source, any modifications must also mention the original, and it can't be used for profit unless a separate agreement is signed.

Thats the by-nc-sa creative commons license, there are other variants too.

They took it down just in time for us to put up a picture of a REAL PANDORA.
craigix said:
On that note I'm pleased to say next weekend we will be building the first fully working Pandora with controls and keyboard and
making some videos of it for you to see - this does not mean the work is finished - there is bound to be something which needs
adjusting, but it is a major near final milestone.
As long as the camcorder can take a still photo, problem solved. Of course the CC copyright will still need to be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear I detest Wikipedia's draconian image policy. -___-

Don't even try to get a decent look at an album cover image, it'll likely be too small.

That all being said, getting a quality, updated pic up there is a good measure for the Pandora community and potential interest at large.

Peter S. said:

Don't even try to get a decent look at an album cover image, it'll likely be too small.

That all being said, getting a quality, updated pic up there is a good measure for the Pandora community and potential interest at large.
blame the US and the shitty copyright laws

PoisonedV said:
Peter S. said:

blame the US and the shitty copyright laws

Their interpretation of those laws is overly-strict, though. Newspaper websites, for example, don't hesitate to make available BIG screenshots of copyrighted movies or album covers, whereas the Wiki policy since last year is that they must be no bigger than they appear in the main article (which often means they're so small that you can't make anything out). Still, at least it's better than Germany which has NO fair use laws at all. The German Wiki is even worse; they have a complete ban on all images under copyright. And I think it's the Germans who're mainly responsible for the tightening of the screws on the English wiki.

Back