(RESOLVED) Issue with email verifications for accounts. Old account is useless, and cannot update this one.

pigsincloaks

Still Fresh
6/28 the issue is now resolved!

Hi all,

I've got a problem when it comes to updating information for my profile on the forums, and I'm not getting any response from ED on this, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me with what a good solution would be. Here's the situation:

My very old, original profile on the forums, is this one:

TSBroich is the user. It was created many years ago using an old email address that does not exist anymore, but I can still log into that profile here. I went to change the email address to my current Protonmail provider email, but no verification email ever came though. I thought maybe it just doesn't play nice with Protonmail, so I tried changing the email to a Gmail one (I can access it, but I want to get rid of that email), and no verification email goes to that one either. So that profile is now stuck in a state where I cannot post or send messages because it's waiting for me to confirm it's me via a verification email that cannot be sent to me.

So I created this profile awhile back, and while this profile can receive thread notification emails to my older Gmail that I really want to retire, I'm afraid to even try changing the email on this one to my current Protonmail address again, because I'm worried verification emails will fail to send out, and this account will become useless for replying or posting just as my original one is.

I messaged ED about this late last year about this on this account, but never heard back. Does anyone know of a possible solution to this, or can explain why verification emails just don't seem to work? I'm afraid to try it again on this profile that works, so if there's another way to do this..

Appreciate any input.

Last edited:
how about: if it is possible to delete an account (don't know), you could register a 3rd one and try it out there and nuke it later.
maybe someone besides ed has admin-powers to look into this?
good luck!

and kudos for getting rid of gmail.

Last edited:
Interesting idea to create a third throwaway profile for the purpose of testing the email verification system. I suppose I could try it, but it would raise the question of why it wouldn't work for my original account, and would it work for this one? Any failure would result in pretty much the death of the account unless ED or another admin could manually fix it.

Yeah I loathe Google, and that Gmail is from what feels like forever ago at this point, and I'm close to being able to delete it (just need to tie off the last few things, this forum profile being one of them). My ultimate goal is to host my own email, but until then, Proton's feature set satisfies my needs.

Reactions: rSl
Hi all,

I've got a problem when it comes to updating information for my profile on the forums, and I'm not getting any response from ED on this, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me with what a good solution would be. Here's the situation:

My very old, original profile on the forums, is this one:

TSBroich is the user. It was created many years ago using an old email address that does not exist anymore, but I can still log into that profile here. I went to change the email address to my current Protonmail provider email, but no verification email ever came though. I thought maybe it just doesn't play nice with Protonmail, so I tried changing the email to a Gmail one (I can access it, but I want to get rid of that email), and no verification email goes to that one either. So that profile is now stuck in a state where I cannot post or send messages because it's waiting for me to confirm it's me via a verification email that cannot be sent to me.

So I created this profile awhile back, and while this profile can receive thread notification emails to my older Gmail that I really want to retire, I'm afraid to even try changing the email on this one to my current Protonmail address again, because I'm worried verification emails will fail to send out, and this account will become useless for replying or posting just as my original one is.

I messaged ED about this late last year about this on this account, but never heard back. Does anyone know of a possible solution to this, or can explain why verification emails just don't seem to work? I'm afraid to try it again on this profile that works, so if there's another way to do this..

Appreciate any input.
Do i understand correctly you PM'd ED over the board message system? I've seen lots of people over the years complaining to not having reached him over that. If possible for you, try contacting him via WhatsApp or Discord, i belive that is a lot faster (better monitored by him).

Do i understand correctly you PM'd ED over the board message system? I've seen lots of people over the years complaining to not having reached him over that. If possible for you, try contacting him via WhatsApp or Discord, i belive that is a lot faster (better monitored by him).

Good idea, I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Great news, I was able to get the issue resolved!

Thank you very much for the idea of reaching out to ED on Discord, as I was able to successfully get a hold of him on there. He was able to manually change my email address to the Proton one for my original account TSBroich, and upon logging into it, it told me it was waiting for the email verification again like I'm used to seeing there. So I tried clicking the option to send me the verification email (to Proton) again, and this time it went through!

Very happy to have my original account back. :D I will probably keep using this new one just until the GP2X Wiz in my FS post in trading sells, as I posted it using this profile, then just go back to using the old one. Thank you all for the help and pointers.

Back