Retro Games Review Launched

Hellsing1

Still Fresh
Hi,

Have put together a site for Retro Games. Includes basic reviews/summaries, gameplay videos and info.

Games are added all the time.

www.retrogamesreview.com

Enjoy!

skeezix said:
I reject your site -- no Atari ST section. PFft ;)

jeff

Looks good though :)

Wondering if Atari ST is better/worse than 7800.
Have no experience with ST.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem I had with the website was that the text was so small. Is not very easy to resize the text when the website is created using flash, the flash player did allow me to zoom in but I could not get it to zoom back out to the original size. But from what I could read it all looks good.

skeezix said:
The ST is akin to an Amiga -- it is 16/32 bit, not 8 like the 7800 :)
Thx.
So it should be slightly better than 7800.

skeezix said:
Kalisiin said:
skeezix said:
The ST is akin to an Amiga -- it is 16/32 bit, not 8 like the 7800 :)
Thx.
So it should be slightly better than 7800.

"slightly"? C64 -> Amiga == 7800/2600/etc -> ST

jeff

Hey, 7800 was pretty damned good for it's time. I grew up with 2600 and 7800.

I guess, being 16/32 bit that the ST might be comparable to say, NES/SEGA Genesis?

I just have no experience with the ST.

I went from the 7800 to the NES and Genesis.

And then never advanced again from that point, because the games started becoming uninteresting to me - i've always been an old-schooler, more retro than future-oriented with regards my gaming.

sounds like the ST should be up my alley.

As I said, the ST is the contemporary of the Amiga.

Generally you can't compare consoles to general purpose computers -- ST/Amiga folks would look down their nose at a NES/Genesis, since they have such limited function; but on the other hand, since they had deicated hardware, they could push a heck of a lot more actrion than an ST or Amiga could in some regards.. while an ST/Amiga had infinite more RAM and storage available (floppy and hard drives etc) ... so apples to oranges.

So no, the ST is far more advanced than a NES; it was like an Amiga, not a console like the 7800 :) The sT and Amiga generally were in competition, and shared software; at first, the ST was more popular (cheaper) and a lot of the games were written for ST and ported to Amiga (so the first few years of Amiga games tended to not be as advanced as they could be, since the Amiga was stronger hardware than the ST, but the games came from the ST). LAter games used the Miggy hardware more thoroughly and surpassed the STs capabilities.. but they're very similar. The ST had some features the Miggy didn't, and vice versa. Certainly, talking in MB-of-RAM shoudl show you the distance to the machines like the XE/7800/etc.

I skipped NES/Genesis until not that long ago .. I missed a number of console generations, was more a 'computer gamer' (ST, then PC); being the 'off market', it was always a rare thing to even find a store that would carry software for my machines .. ahh, the good old days :p

jeff

The ST was cool, just had one problem: Most of the games were Amiga ports - and the music had been poorly redone.
While the Amiga used digitized samples, the ST is similar to the C64 and uses a chip to produce sound. You can do amazing things with chips (I love SID-Tunes, NES, GB, etc. tunes...). However, music has to be composed FOR those chips. It's really hard converting existing music into a good sounding chiptune.
Therefore, native ST games had spot-on music while a lot of ports from the Amiga had poor music :(

Hellsing1 said:
Hi,

Have put together a site for Retro Games. Includes basic reviews/summaries, gameplay videos and info.

Games are added all the time.

http://www.retrogamesreview.com

Enjoy!
This is actually a very nice website. A little small on content at present, though that's sure to improve.

I'd recommend adding "Panorama Cotton" for the Sega MD/Genesis... :)

Hi

Thanks for the comments.

Panorama Cotton is on my list of games to add. The Dreamcast has a much better version - Rainbow Cotton.

Hellsing

Back