Retro VGS indiegogo campaign. (changed title)

This is written on the Press page:

The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016, February 13-16.

With this schedule, I wonder how much does it have in common with the Retro VGS (the release date on Indiegogo campaign was November 2016).

vxgh9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think they may have learned their lesson. There did seem to be a potential customer base for the Retro VGS when first announced. The specs and features slowly deviated away from the console that people were initially pitched. That is one place they fell down, the other being not having a prototype and any real certainty as to what the retro vgs was. The new name washes them clean of any negative connotations associated with the failed VGS campaign, at least that's what they imagine I suspect.

Yes, I think they may have learned their lesson. There did seem to be a potential customer base for the Retro VGS when first announced. The specs and features slowly deviated away from the console that people were initially pitched. That is one place they fell down, the other being not having a prototype and any real certainty as to what the retro vgs was. The new name washes them clean of any negative connotations associated with the failed VGS campaign, at least that's what they imagine I suspect.

It may work,  but only if they can pin down exactly what the product is, and what it's supposed to do, then build it to that spec.

-Neelix

It seems they got a lot more attention in the news with the new Coleco name and support.  It may be far more successful than the VGS.

When I looked the other day I couldn't find info on their site or in news articles about the hardware changes.  Is this available anywhere other than in various discussions cross several forums?  Is it still made of cardboard? ;)  

I like the name change, as the Coleco Vision was my first dedicated console, and I have much love for it. I really don't see what this device will have in common with it besides using carts, but we'll see I guess.

For me personally, I like the guys doing this project, as I really enjoy their magazine, but I'm finding it hard to understand the point in this system. There are so many cart based classic consoles on the market, and while they don't really have new games to speak of, I don't see this system having enough to make it worth anyone's time. I do wish them well though.

Chris

The same people that were going to develop for The ND of course :p

edit: Holy shit, Robert is still working on his game.  You know, the game that was finished, he just needed access to Nintendo's official API so he could release it?  But whatever.  Point is that he's still making updates all these years later.  That's dedication/insanity.  Dedisanity.

But I recall in the meanwhile, a chap came up with a console that would auto write games by itself. Is that one still pushing?

But I recall in the meanwhile, a chap came up with a console that would auto write games by itself. Is that one still pushing?

What "Oton" of shit that was...

It had a projector built in but no "projected" costs... That was a terribly amusing charade. They tried crowdfunding via their own site... I believe 3 people backed them...

Sure shot . I think I almost fell for the nd. Naive me. Thanks for them and all that came after I'm a better person. ;)

Edit: awesome that we at least recall their names :)

I found this to be a decent deconstruction of that hype video:

If you don't recognise anything apart from 'Legend' (which this guy doesn't recognise) it may be worth watching until the end of the hype video, after which the guy rambles a bit.

I haven't checked out their facebook, and their ks doesn't seem to be live yet, but there still seems to be a question about what they're selling, and how they're going to sell it.

And I also wonder what they mean by 16-bit. There are still a few 16-bit address width and accumulator processors you can pick up, but I doubt those would run SNES roms well at all. I suppose if you ran an ARM chip exclusively in Thumb mode you might be able to wangle that as being 16-bit. Or it might be simply describing the graphics as 16-bit-like in their appearance, and I suppose it would be hard for a 68000 to fill a full-HD screen, but i wasn't keen on those borders at that point. A bit of scaling there would have been nice.

Bloody hell. Popcorn time again. Mike does not seem to be the right guy for dealing with the public- period.

Back