Right On Joystick Doesn't Work Right

Anhaedra

Like in the description, I have to push a little bit down and right on the joystick to get it to go right. If I just push right, it will register as up. Is this a common problem, or can it be fixed with a firmware update/utility?

Anhaedra posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:41 PM said:
Like in the description, I have to push a little bit down and right on the joystick to get it to go right. If I just push right, it will register as up. Is this a common problem, or can it be fixed with a firmware update/utility?
It has to do with software. There are 24 little switches that the joystick can hit and it is up to the developers which of them does what. If you want to know more, search the boards, davec has a very nice diagram explaining this (although his explanations are sometimes pessimistic).

EDIT: i meant 24 combinations of switches.... but maybe that isn't right either......

Last edited by a moderator:
24? That explains it then as all devs have only been reading 8. Shit, we'll have to update all software immediately to read these other 16 imaginary values.

woogal posted on Dec 22 2005 at 10:10 PM said:
24? That explains it then as all devs have only been reading 8. Shit, we'll have to update all software immediately to read these other 16 imaginary values.
oops....

well, i don't guarantee that any of my answers are correct. I meant that there are 24 combinations..... but that isn't right either, is it? I thought that they had 12 little switches and it could detect two of the switches down at once....

but you devs know better than i do, so i'll trust you.

EDIT: spelling

I think there are 8 switches and two can be down at the same time, but it is kind of hard to tell when two are down from a user's perspective. I am assuming this from the test program.

Well actually there are 16 points that can be read from the gp2x joystick.

Code:
  //gp2x_memregs[0x1198>>1]
  /*
  0x1FE = UP	
  0x17E = UP+RIGHT
  0x17F = FULL UP+RIGHT DIAGNAL
  0X13F = RIGHT+UP
  0x1BF = RIGHT
  0X19F = RIGHT+DOWN
  0X1DF = FULL RIGHT+DOWN DIAGNAL
  0X1CF = DOWN+RIGHT
  0x1EF = DOWN
  0x1E7 = DOWN+LEFT
  0x1F7 = FULL DOWN+LEFT DIAGNAL
  0x1F3 = LEFT+DOWN
  0x1FB = LEFT
  0x1F9 = LEFT+UP
  0x1FD = FULL UP+LEFT DIAGNAL
  0x1FC = UP+LEFT

*/

The problem can be fixed slightly with software, e.g the problem on the DrMD menu when you try and move up but it pages down for you because it thinks you press TOP-RIGHT instead of TOP. I've change the input code to disable diagnals while in the menu, this way it will only accept UP,DOWN,LEFT and RIGHT.

But if you want diagnals as well your pretty much buggered :)

grahf posted on Dec 22 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
Anhaedra, is your 2x still new? mine had the 100% exact same behavior when i first got it. I had the hardest time trying to play zelda :p After a day or two it started working fine.

Yes, I've only had it for a day. It seems to be getting a little bit better, I hope that's the case.

Back