Role Playing Dice App

Thanks for your quick reply and update, everythings perfect now.
biggrin.gif

(Apart from the maximum number of dice is only 5 (10 would be better), or am I just being fussy now!)

Some people are never satisfied, are they?
tongue.gif

There might just be enough room on the screen to display 10 results, plus the total. I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
iprice said:
Here you go - first public beta :)

dicey01.PNG

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/dicey.rar

I'm not overly happy with the sfx, but it does what it should (I think). Please let me know of any bugs etc.

I've not implemented any volume control, but I'll add that to the full version, together with a better method to exit (VOL+ & VOL-).

This IS really cool. Very nice app! The only thing that would make it better (aside from the things you mentioned) is support for Fudge dice. These are six-sided dice that have 2 pluses, 2 minuses, and 2 blanks. If you roll multiple dice, you add up the pluses, subtract the minuses, and ignore the blanks. So, if you roll + + - [blank], that would be a +1.

But I'm not complaining. It's great for the dice that are there.

Cheers. :)

I'm not sure I understand exactly what "fudge" dice are. Would you roll these as well as normal dice or instead of?

I'm not sure how I'd implement them tbh - suggestion?

iprice said:
Cheers. :)

I'm not sure I understand exactly what "fudge" dice are. Would you roll these as well as normal dice or instead of?

I'm not sure how I'd implement them tbh - suggestion?

There's a picture of the dice here http://www.vizionstudios.com/blog_files/FudgeDice.png

You always roll 4 dice. This gets you a number between -4 and +4. The dice in the picture add up to a -1.

The dice is used for a roleplaying game system called Fudge. I publish Fudge games. My newest one is called "The Unexplained." www.theunexplainedrpg.com

So you don't roll the other dXX dice as well?

That should be easy to implement. I'll add an option on the title screen to offer DXX dice or Fudge dice.

I'll update this in the next day or two. :)

Could you do me a favour in the meantime - take some photos of the dice in the same style as the d6 in my images above, on a dark background. Straight down would be oK too. Size isn't an issue, as I can alter that.

Okay, first clarifying thing first: yes you just roll the Fudge dice
Wikipedia said:
Fudge uses customized "Fudge dice" which have an equal number of plus, minus and blank sides. A number of these dice are rolled, usually four at a time ("4dF" in Fudge dice notation), and for every plus side that comes up the result of using the Trait is considered one step higher (e.g. from Fair to Good) and for every minus side that comes up the result is considered one step lower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudge_%28role-playing_game_system%29

Secondly, because of the bump of this thread, I had cause to download Dicey again. I showed it to a D&D playing workmate of mine with a view to "Wouldn't this be cool if you had a Wiz?" sort of thing, and he saw it and said "OMG. Send. Send to me now!" since he occasionally takes his laptop to games. How 'bout that? :)

Thirdly, I've never seemed to be able to get sound working when running the .exe on PC. It's never worked for me, on a variety of machines from a variety of downloads. Not a big deal, really, but it's just one of those Irksome Things, y'know? :)

Lastly, what did you throw this together in? GLBasic?

iprice said:

That should be easy to implement. I'll add an option on the title screen to offer DXX dice or Fudge dice.

Could you do me a favour in the meantime - take some photos of the dice in the same style as the d6 in my images above, on a dark background. Straight down would be oK too. Size isn't an issue, as I can alter that.

I'll get that to you as soon as I can.

iprice said:

Oh, and thanks a lot for doing this. I really appreciate it.

That's right. No other dice are rolled.

Secondly, because of the bump of this thread, I had cause to download Dicey again. I showed it to a D&D playing workmate of mine with a view to "Wouldn't this be cool if you had a Wiz?" sort of thing, and he saw it and said "OMG. Send. Send to me now!" since he occasionally takes his laptop to games. How 'bout that? :)
That's cool. That's also why I include pc .EXEs with my apps - so that they are available to as many users as possible.

Thirdly, I've never seemed to be able to get sound working when running the .exe on PC. It's never worked for me, on a variety of machines from a variety of downloads. Not a big deal, really, but it's just one of those Irksome Things, y'know? :)

Time to go back and fix anything that's broken then :)

Lastly, what did you throw this together in? GLBasic?
Yes.

Oh, and thanks a lot for doing this. I really appreciate it.
It's nice to feel appreciated. :)

I really need to sit down and see what I can manage with GLBasic, really. Coming from Blitz, it's almost (almost) an obvious first choice to try to move into the handheld world, but I just haven't made the time for it yet.

Life. So... time-consuming.

Is there some OMG Fantastic Yeah! resource somewhere I'm yet to dig up to get a leg-up into GLBasic, or are you just cleverer, Mr iPrice? (I actually think the second more likely than the first)

I came from BlitzBasic too (and BlitzMax), however I've used lots of programming languages in the last 25+ years. Once you get used to the maths behind the way things work, it's easy to move from one to another - it's only the syntax that changes really.

I'm not particularly clever - I just have a logical mind that enjoys logic puzzles (hence why I code, and many of my games are puzzle based).

There are numerous tutorials and code snippets at www.glbasic.com and of course, I'm here pretty much all the time if you want/need assistance :)

Anyway, an update so far -

. Sounds work in Windows now
. Double screen size for Windows (although optional)
. Title screen offers option of D&D style (need a better description, as it's useful for more than just D&D) or Fudge dice
. Fudge dice kind of implemented (needs graphics and tidying up)

I'll post a link later :)

[EDIT] Screenie
dicey-fudge.PNG

OK. Here's a quick update, as promised.

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/dicey.rar (2.05MB)

This contains .EXEs for Wiz, GP2X and PC. I've not tested the GP2X version at all - it should work, but there are no guarantees.

The PC version starts out in a double size screen (640x480) - toggle F4 to change screen size.

The MENU button on the Wiz now takes you back to the main menu (and the corresponding key on GP2X - mine aren't within reaching distance at the moment, and I'm comfy :p)

Please feel free to request extra features, report bugs etc.

Thanks for the update. :)

But could an 'exit' option be added to the front menu, and could B (or A,B,Y,X,L & R) also be used as 'select option' (on the menu screen) and for 'roll'?

Many thanks, Neil

Neil L said:
Thanks for the update. :)

But could an 'exit' option be added to the front menu, and could B (or A,B,Y,X,L & R) also be used as 'select option' (on the menu screen) and for 'roll'?

Many thanks, Neil

I had intended to do all those things (at some point) later today :)

Back