Rom Issues, Md5 A Solution?

simonb

Hey all,

So one of the recurring problems people seem to have is with "incorrect" romsets for $emulator they are running... As we know, one zipfile will work in one emu but not in another (NeoGeo roms seem to cause the most contention).

Does anyone here have a verified "set" of roms that run with their particular emulator setup? What I'm thinking of is that if we can generate a list of files with their MD5 sums, it's gonna be a lot easier to "allocate" roms to specific emulators.

If there's enough interest, I may try and code a bash script that will check a directory and print out what emulator will run which rom. Assuming this works, my overall plan is to extend it to use rsync to "automagically" populate an SD card based on a directory/directories of ROMS...

Thoughts, please...

As far as I know, only GnGeo2x is the picky one. The rest of the arcade emulators pretty much follow a certain version of MAME. As long as you check & format them using ROM tools (e.g. ClrMame Pro), then you'll have the correct ROM sets. Although some games still won't work even with the correct ROM sets. :p

As for console emulators, the ROMs pretty much work as they are, unless there are limitations in the emulators like in RACE! (which require short filenames), or lack support for special chips like in the SNES emulators. Some also require unzipped ROMs. You could use formatting tools like Cowering's GoodTools to check & rename the ROMs you have, and some ROMs might be just bad dumps. ;)

There are also compatibility lists available such as in the GP2X wiki (though might be outdated). UAE4all also has a compatibility list in an Italian forum that tells what version a game would or would not work on. I'm currently working on a compatibility list for FBA2X (will be released shortly ;)).

It also helps to read the Readme files & also use the search function of the forum or in Google, to find answers in how to make an emulator run properly and which ROMs work. (There are also torrents around that are formatted for the GP2X emulators.) B)

Manjuu said:
As far as I know, only GnGeo2x is the picky one. The rest of the arcade emulators pretty much follow a certain version of MAME. As long as you check & format them using ROM tools (e.g. ClrMame Pro), then you'll have the correct ROM sets. Although some games still won't work even with the correct ROM sets. :p
Yep, I agree.

My major problem is that I now have 3 emulators that play some/most/a few neogeo roms I've got... Given the size of some of the dumps, trying to avoid simply dumping a repeat of the same directory into another emulators directory is my goal...

As for torrents, got them... They're the ones I use on gngeo, and now I've got yet another set of neogeo roms that just don't work with gngeo, but that I'm hoping will work in FBA... This romset however weighs in at 4.5GB, and I've only got a spare 4GB card. Maybe I'll get another 8gb card and combine my other 4GB "Scummvm" card with that one, total should be about 7GB...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back