Rot Season 1 Game 2 - Vote!

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
The vote is complete and Parodius and Contra won. If you've any opinions on how these should be scored, please post in this thread.

---

Okay, the nominations are in so let's see how this voting thing works.

The nominations are (he says, opening the gold envelope):
[sql] 1 - DOS - Captain Comic - Scrolling Platformer
2 - NES - Castlequest - Flick Screen Platformer
3 - Arcade - Centipede - Shooter
4 - MD/Gen - Contra - Hard Corps (aka Probotector) - Run and Gunner
5 - PCE/TG16 - Final Soldier - Shooter
6 - Arcade - Golden Axe - Hack and Slasher
7 - MD/Gen - Golden Axe - Hack and Slasher
8 - MD/Gen - Gynoug (aka Wings of Wor) - Shooter
9 - C64 - Hellgate - Shooter
10 - Amiga - Lotus Esprit Challenge - Racer
11 - Amiga - Turrican II - Run and Gunner
12 - Arcade - Mappy - Platformer
13 - NES - Mega Man (aka Rock Man) - Scrolling Platformer
14 - Arcade/CPS2 - Mega Men (Rock Man): The Power Battle - Fighter
15 - Arcade/CPS2 - Mega Man 2 (Rock Man 2): The Power Fighters - Fighter
16 - PCE/TG16 - Parodius - Shooter
17 - NES - Pinball Quest - RPG?!?
18 - Arcade - Root Beer Tapper (not the original tappers) - um, Root Beer Server
19 - PCE/TG16 - R-Type - Shooter
20 - MD/Gen - Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (aka The Super Shinobi II) - Scrolling Platformer
21 - PCE/TG16 - Soldier Blade - Shooter
22 - MD/Gen - Sonic the Hedgehog - Scrolling Platformer
23 - NES - Solstice - Isometric Puzzler
24 - MD/Gen - Streets of Rage II - Hack and Slasher
25 - SNES - Super Pang! - Shooter
26 - PCE/TG16 - Super Star Soldier - Shooter
27 - SNES - Ushio to Tora - Hack and Slash (apparently - can't find much about this on the internet)
28 - C64 - Voidrunner - Shooter
29 - MD/Gen - Wardner (aka Wardner No Mori Special) - Platformer[/sql]

Phew! That's a lot of games! Apologies for some of the genres I've put there - the line between Platformer and Run and Gunner is very fine, for example. But they're just there to tell you what sort of game to expect if you've never heard of them.

Since there are so many you can vote for up to three entries. I'll count up the votes in a few days and select the two games with the most votes. Since there are so many games and so few of us, I suspect there will be quite a few ties, but we've probably got time to vote again between them if there are. Perhaps we should limit the number of nominations people can make each game to avoid this?

Vote away! Please include the game number you're voting for too, so I can distinguish between the two Golden Axes, for example.

You got one of the names wrong; Star Soldier should be Super Star Soldier. (Star Soldier was an NES game.)

Anyway, my vote goes to the 5-minute mode of Super Star Soldier.

Here's a video; it's actually of the 2-minute mode, but just imagine that the stage is longer for the 5-minute.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAFI11aNZnE[/youtube]

Blue Protoman said:
You got one of the names wrong; Star Soldier should be Super Star Soldier. (Star Soldier was an NES game.)

Anyway, my vote goes to the 5-minute mode of Super Star Soldier.
Heh - you're the one who nominated Star Soldier (sic) on the PCE!

Thanks for the correction though - I've removed star soldier (on the NES/PCE/whatever) since no one else nominated it.

We'll be doing the thread to decide how to score the games once this voting thread is over, but thanks for your suggestion - I'm collecting them (also from the nominations thread) and will note them in the scoring thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
My votes go to...

Code:
 8 - MD/Gen   - Gynoug (aka Wings of Wor) - Shooter
22 - MD/Gen   - Sonic the Hedgehog - Scrolling Platformerr
27 - PCE/TG16 - Super Star Soldier - ShooterPCE/TG16

EDIT:
^ actually I suggested Super Star Soldier (2 minute mode)...sorry for any confusion

Oops, looks like my sneaky edit wasn't sneaky enough! I'll take that as votes for Gynoug, Sonic, and SSS. Thanks!

I should probably enter my own vote. I go for:
Code:
 2 - NES      - Castlequest     - Flick Screen Platformer
13 - NES      - Mega Man (aka Rock Man) - Scrolling Platformer
16 - PCE/TG16 - Parodius        - Shooter

Derr, I should read the voting rules better. Fine, here are mine;

Code:
5 - PCE/TG16 - Final Soldier   - Shooter
21 - PCE/TG16 - Soldier Blade   - Shooter
27 - PCE/TG16 - Super Star Soldier - ShooterPCE/TG16

Also, on further analysis, you're right about my Star Soldier error; shame on me!

My Votes

[sql]
4 - SNES - Contra - Hard Corps (aka Probotector) - Run and Gunner
18 - Arcade - Root Beer Tapper (not the original tappers) - um, Root Beer Server
[/sql]

Thanks for your votes. Looks like so far a certain PCE shmup is running away with the votes with a whole two votes, but there are a lot of games on one, so it's all to play for.

I'm thinking I should run this vote until Thursday by the way. I'd edit the title to include the deadline, but I guess I can't do that here.

so are we allowed to vote on our own nominations?
seems like most people would just vote for their own games that way. It would probably be better if that was a no no. Obscure games would probably never get picked with this system either. It might be best if we just do a random pull of like 8 games from the master nomination list and then vote on which 2 of those everyone wants to play each round. Also a limit on nominations is a good idea but if we go with the random system we can just keep a master nomination list and add 1 or 2 nominations per person per round and of course, subtract games that have been played.

edit- if you want to go this route, we can make a master nomination list thread and pin it, I would be willing to maintain such a list.

@levi: Nice work. Have only 1 correction: Contra - Hard Corps is MD/Gen, not SNES.

(Used to be also known as Contra 4 - until Contra 4 was made for Nintendo DS...)

MonkeyChops said:
so are we allowed to vote on our own nominations?
seems like most people would just vote for their own games that way. It would probably be better if that was a no no.
I considered that, but in practice I didn't end up voting for my own nomination because other people voted in other games that I fancied playing more (though some of that only came through researching them for this list - I'd never heard of Castlequest for example). If everyone votes for their own games, unless two people nominated the same game (as happened here with super star soldier in fact) then it'd just be a massive tie. But if it's good enough for two people to nominate, why shouldn't we all play it?

I think we could do with trying to sell our nominations more in the nominations thread - post videos, explain why you want to play it. It's all about getting one other person to nominate one of the games you vote for.

But I'll bear your suggestion in mind, if it turns out people do just vote for their own games all the time, and we always end up with a follow-on vote of almost every game.

Another thought - it could be engineered out slightly by giving people more votes than nominations, so they have to vote for someone else's game if they want to use all their votes.

@john4p - thanks for the correction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, as Gamekeep you can always cut down on the games to vote for -- ie: pick the ones that seem most nominated, or that fit together the best; ie: maybe group them by 'score system' or randomly, to spread across a few votes, to keep the number of games down? (I also respect the idea that GameKeep can just say 'screw it, lets use these two games' like I did for S1G1 ;)

Dang, some great stuff there. Hmm.

Hard to split between game on multiple systems (Golden Axe, arcade vs MD.) Probably 'easier' to set up on one system versus another. Gotta admit, I've been long thinking of doing Golden Axe again :) (and Kknights of the Round I think was another great one I loved.)
Maybe can group votes for "Golden Axe" (multiplatform) to the same game, and then select a platform yourself, to avoid splitting votes?

If so, I'd say my 3 are..

Golden Axe (either arcade or Genesis/MD, whichever we think is 'easier' for setup)
Shinobi III
Parodius

Ideally, Gamekeepers could maybe pick top two winners of two different genres, with simialr score systems (ie: high score attack on one quarter/play), so if peopel hate one game they can do the other. (Is why I picked platformer and shmup for game1.)

Tough choices, so many good titles :)

Thanks for setting up the vote!

Could always set up using a forum vote, if it allows multiple entries, might work out too, to save you doing tallies for game 3

jeff

Yeah, I ballsed up the first post originally and had to edit it, and didn't realise that you could manage the poll from there, so I didn't end up doing a poll in the end. A poll doesn't let me limit how many options people pick, but we should be able to trust people. It also wouldn't let me do my pretty aligned formatting on it! I'm undecided at the moment to be honest. I'll see how much faff counting the votes is in the end.

At the moment it's pretty easy - there are only two games which more than one person has voted on. Yay! But they're both shmpus. Boo! Hmm, I guess I could use the genre data to say the two games must be different genres.

Yeah, I quite like that idea.

Make it easy on yourself, thats the key :) Doesn't haev to be super hardcore, no one should bitch about anything .. "hey, I see 4 votes instead of 3 for Foo, wtf!" should not occur. It has to pan out over the long term --

So next round, just make a 'forum poll' (or do it now and redo this one, no big deal :), and then you can be the final word on what game2 will be, for example; the nominations and votes are to help get recommendations, but cannot be the final word, which is why I figured to get someone.

jeff

I'll do the poll next game I think - there are too many games here to put in one poll. Next game we can adopt Monkeychops' idea (see the 'whose running' thread).

So this poll stays open for this next game. Only two and a half days left to vote, people!

My votes:

Code:
 4 - MD/Gen   - Contra - Hard Corps (aka Probotector) - Run and Gunner
 6 - Arcade   - Golden Axe      - Hack and Slasher
10 - Amiga    - Lotus Esprit Challenge - Racer

[sql]
5 - PCE/TG16 - Final Soldier - Shooter
16 - PCE/TG16 - Parodius - Shooter
[/sql]

Yes, i dont mind shooters!

Not at all familiar with the PC Engine would be nice to play some games from the system.

Back