GP2X Rtc Outside Of The Gp2x?

Well there are some hardware experts on this forums and I am NOT one of them but I think in theory this is possible. The ext port provides USB and RS232 (a serial interface, I think) so you would be able to use that for tranferring your RTC data. I am not sure how this would exactly be done though. I don't think anyone ever had to make a USB clock before as most devices who provide USB have an RTC built in I guess.

There seems to be a few solder pads that have not been connected where addition of an RTC would be possible. Someone mentioned that some time ago but I forgot where. So you would actually be able to fit something like this into the gp2x itself without any external addon. Some also connected a gps receiver this way.

Thing is, you would need drivers for a thing like that. Even a real time clock needs a driver as far as I know. So unless you or someone else can write a driver for it, the effort is pointless.

Any gps will provide a very accurate time report. The output is usually ASCII text
and readable on either the RS-232 serial port or a USB port, depending on the
device chosen.

If one second intervals meet your requirement then this is a quick way to get it.

crusty said:
Any gps will provide a very accurate time report. The output is usually ASCII text
device chosen.

If one second intervals meet your requirement then this is a quick way to get it.

unless you like to play inside :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mrsnature said:
crusty said:
device chosen.

unless you like to play inside :)

Remind me again, what is the title of this thread?

Oh, I get it - you want to play with the gp2x inside your home and not on
the road. Sorry, I misunderstood :)

No matter, just play near a window and the signal strength should be
enough to give you the time if not your current location +/- one metre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back