Rumours About The Up And Coming Psp Ii

GameKing

Still Fresh
Hi All
If the rumours about the up and coming PSP II are half true then it will be a kick ass machine to rival the Pandora, no UMD but it has a 1G CPU and Touch screen Control, Dual Analogue Sticks, Bluetooth support, internal HDD, GPS, game vibration capabilities

Of course it'll be an awesome machine, it'll have no backwards compatibility, which means I'll have no choice but to buy "HD remakes" of games I payed for long ago. Of course. It means that SONY can probably trigger some strange event where all those remakes I bought are incompatible with my console after a firmware security update. Of course. Moving on...

There have been so many rumors about PSP2, it's very hard to take it seriously. SGX543MP4, 4-core Cell, and now it's being claimed that it was really Tegra all along (http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/07/14/sonys-psp2-powered-nvidias-tegra-line/)

Without proper sources the stuff in your post just sounds made up, probably carried over a game of internet telephone starting with someone's speculation that they have too much confidence in. With proper sources.. it's probably still made up. Even if something really reflects a design decision from Sony they're liable to have changed their mind about things.

A couple of years ago I met someone who worked for one of the very big game companies in the UK, a company who have a very successful series of games which Sony wishes were exclusive.

Anyway, they told me at the time the PSP2 had an ARM core, but later the system was totally redesigned from the ground up.

It sounds as if the PSP2 is in development hell - and now they have seen the 3DS they are probably back at the drawing board in frantic efforts to drop a bomb on Nintendo.

craigix said:
It sounds as if the PSP2 is in development hell - and now they have seen the 3DS they are probably back at the drawing board in frantic efforts to drop a bomb on Nintendo.
They realized it needed more silly gizmos to compete with Nintendo's.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds a bit familiar. The Dreamcast was developed with multiple distinct platforms before release. I'm really rather hesitant about ever investing in a Sony device again, though, after they decided to attack me for having the audacity to use my PS3's functionality as they sold it. I should have stuck to my initial reaction and never bought one until it was thoroughly "chipped", but got enticed in when it started losing functionality at an incredible pace (PS2 games, Linux system) and I found a game I really wanted (Disgaea 3).

craigix said:
Yes, and I bet they will fail once more again. :D

yannv said:
This sounds a bit familiar. The Dreamcast was developed with multiple distinct platforms before release. I'm really rather hesitant about ever investing in a Sony device again, though, after they decided to attack me for having the audacity to use my PS3's functionality as they sold it. I should have stuck to my initial reaction and never bought one until it was thoroughly "chipped", but got enticed in when it started losing functionality at an incredible pace (PS2 games, Linux system) and I found a game I really wanted (Disgaea 3).

You're a nipple. Sony never stole PS2 functionality; every backwards compatible ps3 is still backwards compatible. As for Linux? You clearly never used it, or you wouldn't be moaning. It was rubbish on ps3! Ridiculous bugs abound, such as with Ubuntu only having either sound or wifi, not both, the ps3 itself having better media support (no HD videos in linux), and slow performance due to no RSX and therefore only 256mb RAM to play with.

Goity said:
As for Linux? You clearly never used it, or you wouldn't be moaning. It was rubbish on ps3! Ridiculous bugs abound, such as with Ubuntu only having either sound or wifi, not both, the ps3 itself having better media support (no HD videos in linux), and slow performance due to no RSX and therefore only 256mb RAM to play with.
You could run Linux on a PS3, but you had to give up sound or Wi-Fi?
That's great, I could use it as a server with no sound.

That reminds me, I can't get Bluetooth to work on my laptop, and Linux definitely doesn't play Team Fortress 2, so I better shit-can it and buy some Genuine Microsoft Windows operating systems.

lulzfish said:
Goity said:
As for Linux? You clearly never used it, or you wouldn't be moaning. It was rubbish on ps3! Ridiculous bugs abound, such as with Ubuntu only having either sound or wifi, not both, the ps3 itself having better media support (no HD videos in linux), and slow performance due to no RSX and therefore only 256mb RAM to play with.
You could run Linux on a PS3, but you had to give up sound or Wi-Fi?
That's great, I could use it as a server with no sound.

That reminds me, I can't get Bluetooth to work on my laptop, and Linux definitely doesn't play Team Fortress 2, so I better shit-can it and buy some Genuine Microsoft Windows operating systems.
With 256mb ram, 10gb hdd and just a cell, and either an ethernet port or wifi, and not both? Why on earth would you bother? PS3 linux was too slow to be useful due to not having enough accessible ram and having no graphics card, plus no real support. You could buy a PC for a pound and it would be more functional. PS3 Linux was a fun idea, but it wasn't functional at all, evidenced by the fact nobody made anything for it at all.

what they should do is keep the same hardware, convert to a clamshell design, touch screen, work on energy efficiency, dual nubs(like the pandoras), increase ram to 256, and then just overclock the cpu to 600mhz and the gpu to like 200+, oh and increase screen resolution cause it sucks pretty bad

Overclocking the hardware would destroy any idea of energy efficiency. Much better to go with a new design. The resolution of the psp is relatively high considering screen size; the console just suffers a bit from aliasing.

guilmon999 said:
what they should do is keep the same hardware, convert to a clamshell design, touch screen, work on energy efficiency, dual nubs(like the pandoras), increase ram to 256, and then just overclock the cpu to 600mhz and the gpu to like 200+, oh and increase screen resolution cause it sucks pretty bad

Also, add a keyboard and produce a quantity in the low thousands over several months. Then it'd fully be a slow Pandora.

Goity said:
Overclocking the hardware would destroy any idea of energy efficiency. Much better to go with a new design. The resolution of the psp is relatively high considering screen size; the console just suffers a bit from aliasing.
you could lower the die size of the cpu using the 32 nm production and so on with the ram and the rest of the circuits but alas intel is hogging all of the 32nm chips

craigix said:
A couple of years ago I met someone who worked for one of the very big game companies in the UK, a company who have a very successful series of games which Sony wishes were exclusive.

Anyway, they told me at the time the PSP2 had an ARM core, but later the system was totally redesigned from the ground up.

What I really don’t understand is how come the psp2 never makes a showing at E3. The last several E3 it is rumored to show up but then it never does. What gives?

Can't exactly fault Sony for not fulfilling rumors. There probably hasn't been a PSP2 announce all those E3s because Sony didn't think it was necessary to push one out, with the PSP still doing decently. Now Sony might be a little late, and it could have something to do with nVidia, Tegra 2, and problems meeting power budget (also could have absolutely nothing to do with any of that)

I could also have to with Ken Kutaragi not being on staff. They haven't made a games system without him onboard before, right?

EvilDragon said:
Internal HDD?
Hopefully SSD - I don't want to drop it and it dies...

Ipods used to have these problems. I hope they choose flash memory, not an actual SSD. SSDs are expensive. But this will illiminate most of the need for a memory stick. maybe it will accept the M2 as well?

Goity said:
yannv said:

You're a nipple. Sony never stole PS2 functionality; every backwards compatible ps3 is still backwards compatible. As for Linux? You clearly never used it, or you wouldn't be moaning. It was rubbish on ps3! Ridiculous bugs abound, such as with Ubuntu only having either sound or wifi, not both, the ps3 itself having better media support (no HD videos in linux), and slow performance due to no RSX and therefore only 256mb RAM to play with.

Hardly any PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2. none of the slim models are. I have a slim ps3 and when i put in a ps2 game, it basically says that the PS3 is meant for PS3 games. when why do you let us play PS1 games? because they are either cheap, want to lower the costs of the system, or both. costs money to impliment the ps2 hardware. i think...

guilmon999 said:

I don't know about you, but there better not be a clamshell design. devices with hinges are prone to um... hinge damage. my nintendo DS lite's hinge is extremely loose, and might have broken if the system istelf hadnt broken first. as for the touch screen, it better be really resistant to scratches my ds screen was scratched horribly because I played cod w@w for five days straight. I always critisized the psp for not having two nubs. two or three would be great, lol. battery life is really important for portable devices. who'd want something that lasts 5 hours when you can buy something that lasts 10? lol, the game gear lasted 5 and the gameboy lasted 10. guess who won?

oh, and they'd better make it less of a beast, the psp 1000 was a little big. the psp go was alright though. i wonder if my game gear will fit in my pocket.. you know what, it actually does! i have huge pockets.

Com64 said:
Hardly any PS3s are backwards compatible with PS2. none of the slim models are. I have a slim ps3 and when i put in a ps2 game, it basically says that the PS3 is meant for PS3 games. when why do you let us play PS1 games? because they are either cheap, want to lower the costs of the system, or both. costs money to impliment the ps2 hardware. i think...

They claim its to make the PS3 more affordable, however, I bet it's because they probably intend to do 'enhanced' remakes of PS2 games..

Back