Running xkbset at bootup

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I've modified my pandora xmodmap file to allow me to use mouse buttons on some keys I don't use, and I added the following line to bottom of .xinitrc

~/xkbset m

I also tried swapping "~" with the fullpath; but once I'm in, pressing my mouse keys, they don't work, until I boot a terminal window and run the command manually.

Does anyone know why I have to run it manually, and if there's another way I can get it to run at start up?

Cheers

Did you put them in ~/.pndXmodmap? Because that file is loaded when you log in.
Well, I made ~/.pndXmodmapX; and altered .xinitrc to load that one instead. The modmap is fine, it's running "~/xkbset m" to enable mouse keys that doesn't activate from .xinitrc

Tried putting it in ~/.profile; and I've just tried putting it in Settings->Desktop->Session and Startup. Neither of which work.

Also made sure xkbset was executable, and I even tried writing a bash script to set the modmap and call xkbset and using that in the startup, but still no avail

Last edited by a moderator:
add a command to each startup script which would create a unique file in /tmp. Then reboot and check which files got created - then you'll know which your startup scripts really work.

IMO, if your startups scripts won't run, your system environment should be fucked up. You may want to check the output of set.

I've literally just had to reflash (which is why I took a while to respond to this thread).

I know .xinitrc runs, because it loads my modmap; I know .profile runs too, because I used to use that to activate my swap file.

Edit:

Bizarrely, if I set up a Application Shortkut in the Settings->Keyboard, it registers my key as Pointer_3, and then it works; I've assigned this key to "xkbset m" and it now seems to work...

Not sure it should be like that, but I'll take it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back