Rush 2049 Remake

jpic3yk

Still Fresh
Rush 2049 Remake

I think the gp2x would be a great platform to create a remake of the classic San Francisco Rush series. I’m not suggesting a port here, but a ground up build of a new original racing game, using many concepts found in San Francisco Rush. The Rush series, created by Midway has been a very promising arcade racing game for many years (up until the recent debut of L.A. Rush). San Francisco Rush was such a great series for many reasons: (All this in one game!)

Track Design
• Each track was well thought out with good scenery and architecture surrounding it
• Each track had a variety of different shortcuts, each one with it’s own risk/reward option
• The tracks had different objects hidden throughout the levels (gold and silver medals in Rush 2049, keys in some of the earlier versions)
• Switches place on the road, that would open a door or trigger a trap – (Rush 2049)
• In Rush 2049 cars had wings that could be used to steady your car while in the air throughout the game
• Unlock able items, I know this may not seem very revolutionary but creating unlock able items adds incentive and a lot of replay ability to a game
• Racing through circuits would unlock new tracks
• Collecting medals would unlock new cars
• Total miles driven would unlock new car parts i.e. tires, engines, transmissions
Stunt Mode
• The stunt mode in Rush 2049 was revolutionary, the cars had wings which could be used to spin the car
• Stunt mode had it’s own set of tracks designed for stunts with boosters, jumps, and half pipes
• Players would receive points depending on how many different rotations they could pull of while in the air, and whether or not they used wings, etc.
Battle Mode
• Players could find weapons, usually a cannon of some sort, which would be used to shoot at other racers
• Battle Mode featured it’s own arenas specifically created for “destruction derby” type fighting

The gp2x doesn’t feature many games yet and a 3d racing such as this would help build a good foundation. This would be a big game for the community that could support user created tracks, cars, etc.

I’m looking for some people to help me get this project started, I do not have much experience in coding or developing games but I can create the tracks and cars using 3ds max

Contact me at jpic3yk@gmail.com

I don't think that the GP2X is powerful enough to support a 3d racing game yet, at least not until we unlock the things full capability (that Ledblur demo was pretty cool using only the basics however). Anyone care to prove me wrong? I'm not fully sure, but I'm pretty sure. :D

SFR:2049 had really large, complex tracks that will be pretty hard to do on the GP2X. That and car physics aren't that easy to do, with rendering and AI all at a playable framerate.

Well the Nintendo DS can do 3D racing games and it only has a 66mhz ARM CPU... I don't see why the GP2X couldn't do it. 3D has already shown to be possible at a good framerate in the payback demo...

Anhaedra posted on Jul 19 2006 at 07:22 AM said:
Well the Nintendo DS can do 3D racing games and it only has a 66mhz ARM CPU... I don't see why the GP2X couldn't do it. 3D has already shown to be possible at a good framerate in the payback demo...

The DS has dedicated 3d hardware... the gp2x would need like 90% of it's CPU power just to do the 3d. AFAIK, Payback is pseudo-3d...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see any obvious pseudo-3d tricks in the payback demo, so I think it is true 3d... it's only just above the graphics level you might expect on a PS1 though, so I think the GP2X is probably capable of that much at least.

parag0n posted on Jul 19 2006 at 09:29 AM said:
Anhaedra posted on Jul 19 2006 at 07:22 AM said:

The DS has dedicated 3d hardware... the gp2x would need like 90% of it's CPU power just to do the 3d. AFAIK, Payback is pseudo-3d...

Pseudo-3d my ass! Outrun for Sega Genesis is pseudo-3d... :blink:

Shouldn't the gp2x be capable of 3d graphics, even without a chip...the psx could do it and the gp2x is able to emulate the psx (just in early stages so far though)

jpic3yk posted on Jul 20 2006 at 01:15 AM said:
Shouldn't the gp2x be capable of 3d graphics, even without a chip...the psx could do it and the gp2x is able to emulate the psx (just in early stages so far though)

Well, we do have Quake and a (almost playable?) Quake 2, so yes.
Also, let's not forget about Yeti for the GP32.

Need for Speed 1 ran on a pentium 90 with NO 3d card in software mode and got 60FPS. This should be very doable but prolly not for a while yet. Maybe down the road.

-Kensupen

Also I don't think he is suggesting that we make a game that resembles Rush 2049 graphically as much as possible, so PSX or Saturn 3D graphics would be fine, just as long as it plays like Rush 2049. Still a large project though, unless another engine/game can be ported easily...

Ok, go buy a n64 and the cart for rush 2.

Screw all the real levels and skip to the stunt track...throw a few codes for low gravity and low damage on and see what a blast it can be.

It is basically a horribly unrealistic stunt track with GIANT ramps and tiny ramps that cause you to get 50+ or so rotations/flips before landing again..you can rack up all kinds of points just hitting ramps at odd angles and careening through the air with no controll spinning wildly praying that you land to get that high score.

I have given 100's of hours of my younger years to this game just on this one track.

This would possibly be the GREATEST use of a 3D engine..
:D :D :D

So how project now? You need any paypal or what?

DS has dedicated 3d hardware
-----
NO!!!! It is false!

would it be possible to use the free yeti-engine to realize such a project? <_<

XaMMaX90 posted on Aug 19 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
DS has dedicated 3d hardware
-----
NO!!!! It is false!

Actually, I'm told by DS developers that it does have dedicated hardware. It's just that Nintendo don't include it on any of the spec sheets that are around the net, saying only that it has a good 3D library. Anyone who *does* know what the 3D hardware in the DS is is supposedly not allowed to talk about it (NDAs and such).

I'm not entirely convinced myself, I must say, but if I've got developers for the DS saying that yes, it does have 3D hardware, then I'll believe them.

Rush3fan said:
Sorry you had to wait a few years...
smalladd.png
It will be just a few more days and I will have the FIRST gameplay video up for the game. ;)

-Rush3fan

OMG !!! this is for GP2X ?? :blink:

Back