Samba

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
is there a simple / quick guide on how to get samba working?

i read one, but then it got into saying you need to run the samba client from telnet, but then i cant find a guide on how to connect to the 2X from telnet and run the client.
thanks =(

Paradox posted on Jul 22 2006 at 07:23 AM said:
is there a simple / quick guide on how to get samba working?

i read one, but then it got into saying you need to run the samba client from telnet, but then i cant find a guide on how to connect to the 2X from telnet and run the client.
thanks =(
Follow this guide if you haven't allready http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Tcp/ip_over_usb you just have to turn on samba. you also have to set the IP on the computer and on the gp2x to the right one you may need to install a driver for the gp2x to do it, you can find that on the wiki site. Then you can type in the ip on the computer that you setup like \\10.0.0.2 or what ever and then it will connect to the gp2x.

If you want to connect to the computer from the gp2x with telnet you telnet in(in windows you can go to run cmd and then type "telnet (gp2x IP)" and then use "root" as the login. After your telneted into the gp2x you have to install the samba client just look for samba in the download section its called samba_arm. Install that and then you just type in "modprobe smbfs" you can then mount the drive to where ever I did "mkdir /etc/ext/pc" so that it would show up in the ext menu option on the gp2x. then you mount it to that dir by doing "smbmount \\10.0.0.1 /etc/ext/pc" \\10.0.0.1 being the IP of the computer that you setup.

for a full guide on that you can check the wiki as well http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Samba_client

If you can't find the samba client you can find it here http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1478

Edit: edited to add more detail the wiki sites for both things are way better than my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Mount the shared directory. Enter your password at the prompt, if you have one. In this example, we are connecting to a PC with the IP address 10.10.1.1 and a shared directory called share. We will be mounting the shared directory to the mount point called dev.

[root@gp2x root]$smbmount //10.10.1.1/share /mnt/dev
71: session request to 10.10.1.1 failed (Called name not present)
71: session request to 10 failed (Called name not present)
Password:

Now you should be able to see your Windows shared directory by using the mount point (in this example, /mnt/dev).

You may be able to use your PC's host name in the smbmount command, but if your PC has another Ethernet connection, the GP2X may get the wrong IP address. In this case, use the IP address of the Ethernet over USB connection and it will work fine.

i cant get this part to work.

i have a directory on D:/GP2X which i have enabled to share on the network.

so i assume i should be typing:

smbmount //192.168.2.5/GP2X /mnt/dev

right? but its not working. putting my pc's name doesnt work, and neither does putting my wan ip

it just keeps telling me no such file or directory

alright i got it working im fine now. but after turning the 2x off and on again it doesnt work? do you have to set it up every time???

You'll have to write a script. Like for SquidgeSnes :p.

Oh, is there any way to let the mounted point at the computer show up in the ext menu? The way with mounting it to /etc/ext/pc or /etc/ext doesn't seems to work, even if I can access the pc over the terminal that is telnetted on the gp2x.

EDIT; smbmount //10.1.0.10/davidnaegeli /mnt/ext -o username=fred,password=***
Now THAT was easy..

Edit2; DAMN, this rocks hard! Very useful for developing. Also I can't think of all the uses for this..

Oh, and Is there a way to copy things on the sd lke this? I haven't been able to use the explorer of the gp2x. I just doesn't do anything, nevermind which action I'd like to do and how many objects I've selected.

is there any way to create an autorun.gpu script which will run when the 2X boots up to enable samba and mount it?

this is what i have to do to get it to work:

telnet 10.1.0.2 (enter root username)

insmod smbfs

smbmount //10.1.0.1/GP2X /mnt/ext (enter nothing for password prompt)

same question here! :D

also , i have several hard drives shared, must i mount a share name directly, and not the share list that would allow me to browse my various shared folders from the gp2x like i do with my xbox?

??? not sure what u mean

mount the share under a directory on ur gp2x and all subfolders will appear in that directory as if they were on ur gp2x, mountin multiple shares requires multiple mount commands, although u can mount many things in the same directory on ur 2x!!

i mean normally you can navigate into samba shares, like workgroup/server/share1,2,3 etc,
BUT from the 2x you can only mount //server's ip/share name

the point is accessing to more than one share in /mnt/ext of course, instead of mounting each drive separately one by one but you can't mount the pc's ip only ;)

i don't believe the 2x has the browsing capability =) but then u could just create one share and then u could 'browse' neway.

nik166 posted on Aug 29 2006 at 09:38 AM said:
i mean normally you can navigate into samba shares, like workgroup/server/share1,2,3 etc,
BUT from the 2x you can only mount //server's ip/share name

the point is accessing to more than one share in /mnt/ext of course, instead of mounting each drive separately one by one but you can't mount the pc's ip only ;)

I'm not sure about this as I don't have my 2x here and I've not tried it but you could try using Telnet to make a series of sub-folders in /mnt/ext before you mount your SMB shares and then use these as the mount points.

For example, if you want to mount //192.168.123.104/movies and //192.168.123.153/mp3 you could try:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/ext/movies
smbmount //192.168.123.104/movies /mnt/ext/movies -o username=frodo,password=***
mkdir /mnt/ext/mp3
smbmount //192.168.123.153/mp3 /mnt/ext/mp3 -o username=bilbo,password=******

Of course if you then connect an external drive it will probably overide your folders and mount at /mnt/ext - hiding you new folders untill it's unmounted. Unless you add an extra folder for your external drive and change the 'fstab' or whatever.

EDIT: You will probably need to tweek the permission on those folders too. Something like
Code:
chmod ugo=rwx /mnt/ext/movies
chmod ugo=rwx /mnt/ext/mp3
would do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back