Samsung Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guyfawkes said:
There may be a problem in the future with his. There is no name or number to identify the console or any others in the series. What I mean is like the Amstrad CPC 464 then 6128, Commodore 64 then 128, Amiga 500 then 1200 and so on.

Shouldn't the Pandora have something like this? Not necessarily a number but just something to identify it. If the Pandora is a success it would have built up a good name and calling the next console a new different name or Pandora 2 would not be capitalising on it and probably cause confusion.
OMG, hey Guy! :) How are you, sorry I haven't been around Emuholic for so long. Hope you're doing great. Pandora brought me out of the woodwork.

As for Pandora - I think numbers for successors would work OK. Pandora 2, Pandora 3 etc. Works fine for Playstation afterall. By default, this is the Pandora 1 we have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes said:
There may be a problem in the future with his. There is no name or number to identify the console or any others in the series. What I mean is like the Amstrad CPC 464 then 6128, Commodore 64 then 128, Amiga 500 then 1200 and so on.

Shouldn't the Pandora have something like this? Not necessarily a number but just something to identify it. If the Pandora is a success it would have built up a good name and calling the next console a new different name or Pandora 2 would not be capitalising on it and probably cause confusion.
Well, since the Pandora's style is kinda Greek, the successors should use greek letters as well - Pandora β, Pandora γ etc.

Mmm... Actually, I don't think calling a product "beta" is such a good idea... maybe craig should stick to the popular greek letters - Pandora π, Pandora θ, Pandora ω, Pandora ε etc...

Some sort of brand would be nice and would make the Pandora more appealing to people.

Gamer: You should buy the Pandora, it rocks.
N00b: Looks nice. Which company built it?
Gamer: No company.
N00b (confused) : Huh?
Gamer: Some dudes built it. Very cool dudes.
N00b: You mean, you cant really specify a manufacturer?
Gamer: Well, of course I CAN. There is -
N00b: Yeah, some guys. Sounds not too professional. They probably built that thing in their garage or something. And why no company name?
So that they can hide, if their product turns out to be of low quality?
Gamer: You are getting it totally wrong! Listen! - Hey, wait!
(N00b goes away to buy a DS)

;)

MisterBrisby said:
N00b: Yeah, some guys. Sounds not too professional. They probably built that thing in their garage or something. And why no company name?
Exactly!

Tiger Telematics Gizmondo FTW! :D

Guyfawkes said:

I agree. Otherwise it could suffer the same ignominy as say, playstation, Xbox, GameCube, PSP and DS, to name a few.
All those systems failed because they couldn't be bothered to give it a number. ;)

I'm gonna wait til I get the first Pandora rocking before I worry about the next one.

The reason most systems like those you mention quote numbers is to big up their specs. Pandora doesn't need to.

MisterBrisby said:
Some sort of brand would be nice and would make the Pandora more appealing to people.

;)
There isn't a solution to that. Craigx's company isn't a well-known one anyway, there wouldn't be much use branding it aggressively.

It's marketed as an open platform with the community aspect as the key feature. Other devices are attracting to some because they're made by companies that rely on hype and 'owning our products is the only way to be cool' attitudes (apple is the leader in this area).

MisterBrisby said:

;)
Not to rain on your parade but how often do you tell your friends/some one else to buy something because it's good and they respond by asking for a company name?

And if you don't like to say "no company" say it's a release from the open source community or what ever, anyone asking for a brand name is either a fan boy (in which case you can't really win anyway) or they actually have some insight and want to know what to expect based on past knowledge in which case Open Source should tell them just as much as any brand name and if not they would ask.

Besides you always have the homepage to show them?

BTW Apple started out in a garage and Microsoft in a dorm room (before they "stole" DOS).

MisterBrisby said:

;)
I should think the second line should be:

N00b: Looks nice. What can it do?

I guess from thereon your scenario kinda falls through.

Well, given that Pandora had a daughter, that might make a sensible name for the next one, as and when. Although her daughter's name wasn't as good as hers, in my opinion.

Just pick some other relevant mythological character. Possibly Persephone, or something...

This thread has taken a turn for the absurd.

So do you really think somebody will see the stats and capabilities of the device, read the glowing online reviews, see the impressive library of software, and say "It looks awesome and does exactly what I want, but they don't have a name for the company. I guess I'll get a Sony PSP instead." Forget about meaningless marketing BS. Pandora will sell itself based on merit.

OP has been answered. Time to move on.

Although I'm partial to Panacea, not everybody is as versed in greek mythology :D

I just realised that it could comfortably be labeled as Pandora by Hefaistos.

The point I was trying to make is more of a psychological nature.
I think that average customers have more faith in a product when they know that somewhere there is a actual company behind it that they can name or blame. It doesnt even have to be a big name, as long as it doesnt have this certain "no name - no responsibility"-touch.
"Community based" sounds good to us but the average guy will probably think that this sounds rather nerdy, geeky or like an euphemism for "no name crap from China".

When people buy things, they dont just think rationally. It also has to LOOK professional and some brand / company name would help a lot.

MisterBrisby said:
I think that average customers have more faith in a product when they know that somewhere there is a actual company behind it that they can name or blame. It doesnt even have to be a big name, as long as it doesnt have this certain "no name - no responsibility"-touch.
"Community based" sounds good to us but the average guy will probably think that this sounds rather nerdy, geeky or like an euphemism for "no name crap from China".

When people buy things, they dont just think rationally. It also has to LOOK professional and some brand / company name would help a lot.

Well, the Pandora was never meant to be a product for the average costumer...

MisterBrisby said:
I think that average customers have more faith in a product when they know that somewhere there is a actual company behind it that they can name or blame.
The average consumer might be frightened and confused by a product with no listed manufacturer, but they are also frightened and confused by loud noises, sudden movements, and long division. The average Pandora customer is a different animal.

Again, they're not selling these to John Q. Douchewaffle in Wal-Mart or Best Buy. For somebody to even find out about the Pandora they would have had to have seen it on a tech-related site, which means they're at least technically inclined, if not technically savvy.

Anybody with half a brain will do two minutes research and find out that the Pandora is legit, even without a clever company name. Anybody who is turned off by the lack of a name and is not willing to do two minutes research is probably not intelligent enough to get much use out of a Pandora, and would just clog the forums with inane questions anyway. We're better off without them.

MisterBrisby said:

The real question is, is that the type of person they are trying to market to? The answer is no. If that type of person likes it, great... but it's not the target demographic. Neither were the other portable consoles of which this community were a part of. If Open Pandora hored itself out to such an idea, a lot of the die-hard people would abandon it... (excuse me if I include myself in this) but we don't need another corporate entity taking over something open and great.

My 2 cents.

BackAssward.

Chip said:
The average consumer might be frightened and confused by a product with no listed manufacturer, but they are also frightened and confused by loud noises, sudden movements, and long division. The average Pandora customer is a different animal.
Thanks for that, it was the point I was trying for, just written better.

P.s. I've seen you post a lot, and I've always found it useful and accurate.

Chip said:
MisterBrisby said:
I think that average customers have more faith in a product when they know that somewhere there is a actual company behind it that they can name or blame.

Again, they're not selling these to John Q. Douchewaffle in Wal-Mart or Best Buy. For somebody to even find out about the Pandora they would have had to have seen it on a tech-related site, which means they're at least technically inclined, if not technically savvy.

Anybody with half a brain will do two minutes research and find out that the Pandora is legit, even without a clever company name. Anybody who is turned off by the lack of a name and is not willing to do two minutes research is probably not intelligent enough to get much use out of a Pandora, and would just clog the forums with inane questions anyway. We're better off without them.

That didn`t stop that happening with the GP32 or the GP2x (re: The noob flood/inane questions) and will probably be worse with the Pandora considering the coverage the device has got already, And will no doubt increase dramatically once she is released.

Anyway, Back on topic. What about "The GBAx Pandora" ?, After Craigix`s site ?. Or "The MW Pandora" ?, Or "The CR & MW Pandora" ?, Or, "The CR,DC,DJW,ED,F,MW,S Pandora" ?. ;)

Ok, I`ll shut up now. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Chip said:
The average consumer might be frightened and confused by a product with no listed manufacturer, but they are also frightened and confused by loud noises, sudden movements, and long division.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back