Satellite Navigation

scouseman

Still Fresh
Hi All

I am totally new to this seen and am seriously considering buying a GP2X, what I would really like to know is what are the chances of me being able to port a navigation package onto a unit. I considered buying a Gizmondo, but would much prefer a GP2X. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Scouseman

I think the biggest problem would be getting a GPS receiver to talk to the GP2X... bluetooth USB dongles are out of the question because of USB limitations.

After that, you can (probably) fairly easily port some open source mapping software.

I have seen several mini GPS units (though fully featured) with special low power consumption chipsets and built in path antenna which have an SDIO interface! So as soon as a dev has created some nice SDIO drivers, i am sure it will not be a problem.

Links:
Globalsat SDIO GPS

EDIT: By the way, Nigel Brown (toyz 4 boyz) has removed the GPS for GP32 listing from their website over the last few weeks (look in the products section of http://toyz4boyz.co.uk/). It seems the product never made it off the ground. Its a pity since I really wanted one :(.

Back