Save Problem

wblackst

Still Fresh
I use a 4gig SD card on a new model GP2x. I've been saving fine on PicoDrive and pocketsnes for several months now. However, recently I have not been able to save games, either as savestates or srm files.

When I view the contents of the SD card and go to "properties" for any folder on the card, the "read only" box is marked with a light green (not the solid dark green) square. When I try to set the folders as not "read only," it will do so and remove the light green square, but when I close the "properties" window and open it again, the light green square returns.

I can add and remove files to and from the SD card from Windows.

The physical "lock" key on my SD card is not set to the "lock" position.

The only event I can think of that might have triggered the problem was that I put several .avi files on the card from another computer a few days ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you do format your card, don't do it using Windows. Use a Linux machine, a Mac, a camera or anything else as Windows has a habit of ruining SD cards during formats occasionally.

WhizzBang said:
... Windows has a habit of ruining SD cards during formats occasionally.
Please justify vague statements like this. I have used Windows exclusively to format all my media cards and have yet to ruin one. I have used cheap ones as well as brand name. Aside from performance differences between them they continue to work just fine. Also, I chkdsk my SD about once a week to ensure its integrity. Highly recommended since the darn battery meter on the F200 isn't compatible with anything yet. Save often but NOT right before the power goes out ;)

Squidge is right, you may have to format your card. This has been discussed multiple times in the forums and seems to be a common occurrence. Corruption can occur from a multitude of sources, including the GP2X.

When formatting keep some pointers in mind:

lots of small files = small allocation unit (maybe 1-2k)
lots of mixed files = medium allocation unit ( maybe default 4k)
lots of large files = large allocation unit ( more than 4k)

Since I use my GP2X with files that are usually in the small range I use a 1024 setting. That also saves me a bunch of space down the road. (i.e. a 1k file with a 4k cluster wastes 3k of space.) Alas, they also transfer slower :(

Other points:
*If you are using the GP2X as the card reader/writer do NOT use batteries for formatting or transferring data on your SD. I use it's power brick and it hasn't failed me yet.
*When used with the GP2X, only do so through the original menu (i.e. exit gmenu2x)
*After you transfer data, chkdsk your SD. It's insurance. It only takes a minute.
*If you use Windows, use the "Safely Remove ..." icon to close the SD. I have Windows "Optimize for quick removal" enabled, but I will get a warning when something is still using the drive to write to or have a lock on. It's a good reminder to ensure ALL files are closed on the device.

If after all these precautions you still can't get reliability out of your SD, get a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
bman said:
WhizzBang said:
... Windows has a habit of ruining SD cards during formats occasionally.
Please justify vague statements like this.

Well, I had 2 SD cards made unusable by formatting to FAT32 using Windows XP. I did much searching on the web to try and repair the second one as it was quite new, and I found some pages with people advising you not to format SD cards with Windows. Since then, I have always used a camera and everything has been fine. Secure Digital cards are not as secure as the name would suggest.

Also, Sandisk say you should preferably use a camera and if you use Windows, format it as FAT.
The card shows an error in the camera or on the computer?
A. The card may have some corruption on it, please try to format the card preferably in the camera, if it does not format in the camera then please try to format on the computer. ( To format the card in the camera, please refer to the manual. To format the card on the computer please go to my computer and right click on the removable disk drive and select format (we would suggest formatting in Fat on Win2000 and Win XP))

Last edited by a moderator:
Back