Saving For A Gp32

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
This is not a market place thread... it has prices but that's just to sgow how far along I am in my adventure...

I figured it might be interesting to keep a posting of how far along I am to my purchase of a gp32 and accessories...
I currently have $50 Canadian saved up.

I am purchasing a gp32 blu guaranteed 166 from gbax... $269
A universal AC adapter... $40 Canadian
A chatboard... $20 aprox
maybe a glass screen $18 Canadian
and two smc's from ebay cause they cost too much new... $50 Canadian

About $400 Canadian all together....

I have $50 Canadian saved so far with another $200 coming soon...
I will have my gp32 soon... but it feels so far away....

From my own personal experience, I would say forget the guarenteed 166MHZ thing. I bought one of these off GBAX.Com and it actually crashes after a few minutes at 166MHZ on OpenSNES9x and fGen, but I haven't bothered to send it back and go through all the hassle and extra postage costs because I am happy with what it can do at 133 MHZ - ie emulate SNES and Mega Drive reasonably well for a lot of games, and emaluate NES, Master System, ZX Spectrum and Commadore 64 at full speed as well as play the finest hand held version of Doom and Doom II available.

WhizzBang posted on Oct 4 2004 at 10:56 PM said:
From my own personal experience, I would say forget the guarenteed 166MHZ thing. I bought one of these off GBAX.Com and it actually crashes after a few minutes at 166MHZ on OpenSNES9x and fGen, but I haven't bothered to send it back and go through all the hassle and extra postage costs because I am happy with what it can do at 133 MHZ - ie emulate SNES and Mega Drive reasonably well for a lot of games, and emaluate NES, Master System, ZX Spectrum and Commadore 64 at full speed as well as play the finest hand held version of Doom and Doom II available.

You always could do the voltage mod yourself and get 166.

Lot of Canadians with GP32s is seems. I think Skeezix is in Canada too.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 4 2004 at 11:22 PM said:
WhizzBang posted on Oct 4 2004 at 10:56 PM said:

You always could do the voltage mod yourself and get 166.

Lot of Canadians with GP32s is seems. I think Skeezix is in Canada too.
Well I presume that the voltage mod has already been done but did not work on my GP32, as I did pay to have the mod done. My GP32 is a fairly old one (from November 2001) so this may have something to do with it. My previous GP32 was a newer version and went up to 166MHZ with no problems and had not been modified but the screen died after about 1 year, so I replaced it via GBAX for an inferior one for more money. It has lasted longer though.

This is the first complaint I have heard of GBAX. I got my Gp32 from them and was very happy with the service and prompt delivery. Still running happily at 166+ for over 2 years. ;)

You won't be disappointed with your purchase. :)

Lik-Sang is probably your cheapest option. They don't do a voltage mod, but mine seems to run fine at 160-166 anyway. GP32z is in North America, though, so definitely consider them.

worldwriter posted on Oct 4 2004 at 04:38 PM said:
This is not a market place thread... it has prices but that's just to sgow how far along I am in my adventure...

I figured it might be interesting to keep a posting of how far along I am to my purchase of a gp32 and accessories...
I currently have $50 Canadian saved up.

I am purchasing a gp32 blu guaranteed 166 from gbax... $269
A universal AC adapter... $40 Canadian
A chatboard... $20 aprox
maybe a glass screen $18 Canadian
and two smc's from ebay cause they cost too much new... $50 Canadian

About $400 Canadian all together....

I have $50 Canadian saved so far with another $200 coming soon...
I will have my gp32 soon... but it feels so far away....

Whoa, whoa. You're planning to buy all that at once? Just buy the GP32 BLU + 2 SMCs, see how you like it, and if you do, buy the other stuff. And no offense to GBAX, but you should buy it off of GP32z if you're in North America. Jr2Swiss is a nice guy, so if you get a GP32 that turns out to be not clockable to 166MHz, he might even let you replace it. Maybe I'll be hypocriticial and threaten to ban him if he doesn't :D

Oh, and $40 for a universal adapter is a complete rip-off. I bought mine from Radio-Shack (aka the $20 store) for $25, and Radio-Shack is insanely expensive.

I was at work when i wrote that up... didn't have my prices with me so you are probably right... as far as waiting to see if I'm happy... I know already that I will be because I'm all about the retro gaming and from what you guys say it rocks... I work a tech support job that I hate and will soon be banning surfing so this will be perfect for the down time...

Hey General as long as you can "guarantee" jrswiss will get me a fully funtional 166+ gp32 I'll be more than happy to go with his store. :)

GPJosh posted on Oct 5 2004 at 12:45 AM said:
This is the first complaint I have heard of GBAX. I got my Gp32 from them and was very happy with the service and prompt delivery. Still running happily at 166+ for over 2 years. ;)
Nah, I've seen some posts around. It's just we wont bother sending the gp back for that extra 10 mhx (mine any many GP's goes to 156)

worldwriter posted on Oct 4 2004 at 11:03 PM said:
I was at work when i wrote that up... didn't have my prices with me so you are probably right... as far as waiting to see if I'm happy... I know already that I will be because I'm all about the retro gaming and from what you guys say it rocks... I work a tech support job that I hate and will soon be banning surfing so this will be perfect for the down time...

Hey General as long as you can "guarantee" jrswiss will get me a fully funtional 166+ gp32 I'll be more than happy to go with his store. :)

Just PM him, he reads this board religiously :p

Give Jr2Swiss the business if you are on the same, land thingy. Maybe he will be nice and do the mod for you :p

EDIT: He actually sells a 166Mhz one for $199.99 (USD).

i was saveing for the gp32 too but since ive herd that there may be a gp32 V2 coming out next year i lost interest as i dont wanna buy a v1 to have it go obsolete in a few months as i cant keep afford to keep upgradeing so i dunno what to do now about it...

Steve

Back