Saving Misflashed Gp32s

Topcat

Website
www.audiosonic.dk
Well, as more people buys GP32s and more homebrew firmwares are made, i guess that the bios frying ratio will increase. I only flashed my own GP32 once, and it went very well (should i feel lucky??) but i read about dudes following the general flashing precautions and STILL ends up frying their GP32... how can this happen ??

I would like to find out how a misflashed GP32 actually can be revived... anyone??
Wouldn't it be cool if one could flash his GP32 without having to mess his pants ;)

Could it be done by PC software (saving the GP32 through the USB or EXT) ???
or does it have to be done from the inside ?? If so, how ??

If anyone is holding this information, i hope that you feel like sharing it with the rest of the scene?

.. i guess that it would be a lot easier if the GP32 could boot from SMC :(

mr.spiv has a way to do it.. he could release a documentation on how to do it...
i flashed my gp 5 times or so... and no problem at all, i think im very lucky...

one key is to make sure you're using fresh batteries every time or have a suitable power adapter. Unless something happens to your computer during the process there's now reason you should have a problem... but sometimes computers have all manner of random issues so a possibility still exists.

I agree it'd be a nice thing for Mr. Spiv to release a full document on the repair of mis-Flashed GP32s since he doset offer the service anymore.

why should there be a problem with the computer?
i flashed with a gp32 program, not connected with the pc at all...

but it doesnt have to be connected to your computer at all. You can do it with the handheld by itself, all you need to do is run fw.fxe with fw.bin in the main folder

Edit: damn beaten again

i always use a power adaptor to flash, it doesn't take very long so aslong as i don't switch the GP32 off there is no chance of anything really going wrong...

Alpha2 posted on Feb 29 2004 at 04:32 PM said:
Oh okay My mistake, Since i've never flashed my GP32 I wasnt fully aware the process didnt require staying hooked to the computer.
You never flash? Well I guess if you got it from GBAX with the multiFW that's fine, but if not, how can you keep using the Korean FW? I hated it, it was restrictive, and the little introduction was kind of fruity :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure we all know how to flash. I myself used Mr Spiv's firmware which installed itself and even did a checksum test. Very easy!! But IF it had gone wrong.. then what?? I'm from Denmark, and it took me 1 month just to recieve my GP32. I can't imagine sending it anywhere for a repair (2+ months in GP32less state???)

I hope that someone with the actual knowledge will join the conversation ??

well some people dont know what te hell they are doing and turn off their GP32's mid flash when they see the words "Erasing Firmware". They think the program is purposely erasing their FW, when it's really just making room for the new stuff

example

the thing is i bet they didnt even read the tutorial or anything which clearly says "DONT TURN OFF DURING FLASH" or something along those lines.......

Which is exactly why everybody should read the firmware flashing faq at GP32Emu before even trying. I know you do not have to follow this guide but at least people will know what they are doing.

And please don't pay attention to Gary's comments, he's just grumpy cause he's short ;)

Efompor posted on Feb 29 2004 at 11:59 AM said:
You never flash? Well I guess if you got it from GBAX with the multiFW that's fine, but if not, how can you keep using the Korean FW? I hated it, it was restrictive, and the little introduction was kind of fruity :lol:
Yeah I still refer to it as "fruityfirmware" as a matter of fact! I got mine from Lik Sang so I dont have the multiFW I've never had a use for it, all the games boot up from free launcher and the other applications work so I probably wont do anything until GamePark releases their next official FW.

The goofy start up and kiddy graphic are the only problems to me but aside from that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I got the GP Euro FW on mine. It's the only time I flashed it. I don't care for other FWs like MUltiFw or anything else like that. It was nice to have gotten rid of the old GP32 boot up message. And the MP3 aspect was pointless to me considering almost all the MP3s I have are in VBR and the MP3 player only played in CBR. But I have not much use for an MP3 player that can only hold a maximum of 128MB worth of songs, especially when the storage medium costs $40 each. I guess it's nice because the thing is multi-functional compared to other dumb 128MB MP3 players. For it's worth, the GP32 is pretty much equal to the cost of a GBA + a MP3 player.

bringoutthegimp posted on Feb 29 2004 at 05:25 PM said:
youve got to be real fuckin stupid to mess up a flash. its just common sense to use fresh batteries
Well, let's not talk about stupidity... let's not talk about how to flash, or even how to avoid misflashing.... then again, i guess no one here has any idea of how it is done (referring to the original subject). Think i'll ask some other place <_<

But i'm glad to experience that you are so enlightened concerning flashing. Then atleast we won't see a misflash from you :)

Topcat posted on Feb 29 2004 at 07:44 PM said:
bringoutthegimp posted on Feb 29 2004 at 05:25 PM said:
youve got to be real fuckin stupid to mess up a flash. its just common sense to use fresh batteries
Well, let's not talk about stupidity... let's not talk about how to flash, or even how to avoid misflashing.... then again, i guess no one here has any idea of how it is done (referring to the original subject). Think i'll ask some other place <_<

But i'm glad to experience that you are so enlightened concerning flashing. Then atleast we won't see a misflash from you :)
You wah?

yaustar posted on Feb 29 2004 at 08:10 PM said:
I dont suppose you havetried to contact mr Spiv himself?
I did try to contact him via email, but i got no response..

And just for the record :D my GP32 is fine, using mr spiv firmware. i would love to try out other firmwares, but i'm somehow nervous that something would go wrong (BESIDES batteries/power supply).

Back