Saving That Backlight

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
OK this is a pretty simple suggestion, when you connect your GP2X to your PC to transfer files it would be nice to have the LCD off. A simple on-off toggle with the select button similar to the way it works with music would be great. I say this because right now I am moving over some large files and my backlight is wasting away (not to mention my batteries). I'd do it myself but i am not a 1337 dev master, i fact i have no idea about any of that side right now.

Anyway if somebody could tell me thats a good idea I'll be happy.

While your request makes a lot of sense and will most likely be implemented in the future, for right now most people are using card readers/writers and don't really care ;) If you have $5 or so to spare I would highly recommend looking at some local stores for a cheap SD card reader, as it will make the process much easier.

Well, the LCD does offer some manner of feedback, I think, in that it tells you the current files progress and it also offers information on what buttons to hit to exit and such. This is mostly trivial information for most, but is useful for new people who aren't 100% familiar with their new toy.

Also, if you use it as a MP3 player, you could spend a couple hours a day listening to music, making it quite useful to shut off the back light. However, most people don't spend near the copying files. I spend maybe a few minutes a day, and most of that is plugging and clicking and dragging and naming directories and files, very little time is actually copying. Therefore, I don't really see it as a needed option by any means. It could easily be added by GPH, but I'd rather they fix a few other problems first.

its not really "wasting" alot of energy. Thier LEDs... while white ones do draw a decent amount of power... it is NEGLIGEABLE compared to the dual cores running 200mhz, or oc'd while your transfering your files. conclusion is, the backlight is the least of your worries.

your better off going to a store and getting a card reader - its faster, and works better.

I think a universal screen-off in the system itself is better than adding it to the individual apps. Once the TV-out manages to get working, it will be a complete and utter waste to run the LCD while watching movies/playing games/etc. on the TV.

Oh, I don't know... could be kinda cool to have some multiplayer turn based strategy kinds of games which disply public data on the TV, but stuff for the current player's eyes only on the screen. Or having the player interface on the unit, so fast forwarding and what have you doesn't show up on the TV. Or stuff.

its not really "wasting" alot of energy. Thier LEDs... while white ones do draw a decent amount of power... it is NEGLIGEABLE compared to the dual cores running 200mhz, or oc'd while your transfering your files. conclusion is, the backlight is the least of your worries.

your better off going to a store and getting a card reader - its faster, and works better.

It's a LCD not LED's. It has a backlight, that draws a good deal of power. It probably accounts for 20-30% of the power consumption.

Someone please stop me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I don't know... could be kinda cool to have some multiplayer turn based strategy kinds of games which disply public data on the TV, but stuff for the current player's eyes only on the screen. Or having the player interface on the unit, so fast forwarding and what have you doesn't show up on the TV. Or stuff.
If that's possible, it absolutely NEEDS to be done. B)

It's a LCD not LED's. It has a backlight, that draws a good deal of power. It probably accounts for 20-30% of the power consumption.

Someone please stop me if I am wrong.
I believe that wyefye is stating that the LCD's backlight is composed of LEDs. ;)

My screen dosent display file progress when i copy things, it just has the same image all the time. And GBAX is sending me a card reader right now, thi s means i can re-enable my USB2.0 - great. If lighting the backlight/writing to the screen isn't so power hungry then why bother shutting it off when playing MP3's?

Anyway, I recognise that if this was implemented it wouldnt be a giant leap forward. I just thought it was a good idea generally, I hate seeing my screen just sitting there displaying the same sorry image during large transfurs and I'm sure I cant be the only one.

Back