Screen Burn

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Being a Wiz (and soon to be Pandora) owner and reading of Wiz users' issues/concerns with screen burn-in while charging the unit and leaving it alone, a thought occurred to me. Could the Pandora be plagued by this?

The reason I ask is that the Pandora automatically turns on when charging. From what I've read, if you don't flick the switch to turn off the screen, then there will be an image on-screen. If left to charge overnight, will this image turn into screen burn-in, or is there an automatic screensaver or something to prevent this?

Don't say that LCD doesn't get screen burn-in, because it does. Maybe not to the same degree as the Wiz's OLED, but it can still get it.

I want to draw attention to this before any potential problems occur.

Anyone know?

Seeing as how the Pandora's screen is LCD and not OLED, I don't see this as being as much of a problem. That's not to say that LCD's can't get burned in. I've seen it happen on older displays. But that was only on screens that had stuff in the same place 8 hours a day 5 days a week or more.

iprice said:
Being a Wiz (and soon to be Pandora) owner and reading of Wiz users' issues/concerns with screen burn-in while charging the unit and leaving it alone, a thought occurred to me. Could the Pandora be plagued by this?

The reason I ask is that the Pandora automatically turns on when charging. From what I've read, if you don't flick the switch to turn off the screen, then there will be an image on-screen. If left to charge overnight, will this image turn into screen burn-in, or is there an automatic screensaver or something to prevent this?

Don't say that LCD doesn't get screen burn-in, because it does. Maybe not to the same degree as the Wiz's OLED, but it can still get it.

I want to draw attention to this before any potential problems occur.

Anyone know?

Well, I doubt it will happen - it's a grade A LCD AFAIR.
But if you close the lid, the screen is turning off anyways, so while charging, nothing should happen.
I remember I had mine sitting around a day open at least, and nothing ever happened.

Last edited:
That could be really inconvenient for jigsaw puzzles on the Dingoo :p
On the topic, will the Pandora be able to have screensavers? It'd be awesome if you could select a folder to play videos after the Pandora was idle for a while :D

Jourdy288 said:
That could be really inconvenient for jigsaw puzzles on the Dingoo :p
On the topic, will the Pandora be able to have screensavers? It'd be awesome if you could select a folder to play videos after the Pandora was idle for a while :D
the x-screensaver bundle is in the angstrom repos. Although I don't think there's a video player screensaver. Slideshow is there however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can make xscreensaver execute a command, somehow... or I figure there's SOME kind of program that'll check if keyboard/mouse has been idle for X minutes and run a command (in this case mplayer -fs -shuffle blahblah).

I can't think of a good reason why you would want to burn your battery life up wasting cycles on a screensaver. I would much rather it just throw the machine into "standby".

yeah, I generally use low power mode with lidclose while charging; I just assume (unverified) that it'll charge faster and save the lcd :)

jeff

The actual LCD matrix shouldn't suffer from burn in. I think it's got a LED backlight which shouldn't have any noticable fade over five years. Cold cathode backlights tend to fade in five years of heavy use. OLED screens can burn in. But TFT-LCD? I doubt it.

Right, here's a question that needs addressing... So the screen turns off when you close the lid, jolly nice. ***BUT*** does the light just go off, or does the LCD controller actually stop farting around with the liquid crystals altogether? If you can get screenburn on an LCD (which I'm dubious) it most likely would not be related to the actual backlight, but the degredation of the LC's - so turning the light off may not actually do anything to "save" the screen. Of course I could be totally wrong, maybe the supposed screenburn could be caused by gradual degredation of light senstive chemicals in the LCD, in which case cutting the backlight would be helpful.

Edit: I made a typo. Now I unmade a typo.

NeX-Ferret said:
The actual LCD matrix shouldn't suffer from burn in. I think it's got a LED backlight which shouldn't have any noticable fade over five years. Cold cathode backlights tend to fade in five years of heavy use. OLED screens can burn in. But TFT-LCD? I doubt it.
LCDs don't suffer from burn in, however there is a remote possibility of things getting stuck if left in a given state for too long. The crystals have to adjust themselves to let more or less light through. Hence the LCD term. I don't think it's a common occurrence or it's outright not possible. But either way, I don't think that I'd bother worrying too much about it. It's far more important to worry about the power button and the effects of heat on the display.

TitanUranus said:
If you can get screenburn on an LCD (which I'm dubious) it most likely would not be related to the actual backlight, but the degredation of the LC's - so turning the light off may not actually do anything to "save" the screen.

True. The best 'screensaver' for LCD is displaying nothing at all, backlight or not.
I've seen some (old) LCD projectors with recognisable patterns discernible when displaying a single colour backdrop. The LC can sort of become accustomed to being polarised in areas where it is left so for long periods, it's not really likely to be a problem in the Pandora's lifetime though.

This happened on my psp-1000 recently. A program I made on it had displayed white-on-black text in the same spot for over 24 hours and the text became burned-in. I've since changed the behavior of the text (it moves around now), but needless to say I haven't dared try testing this on my newer psp.

However, you can apparently fix burn in by putting up a solid color pic (preferably white) for 15 minutes. I haven't tried this on my PSP yet, but if it ever happens on Pandora, this trick may work.

My old TV had some burn in where I left it paused on a movie for a long time, I fixed it by pausing it on a black screen for awhile. Got rid of that TV though and now have a newer LCD that shouldn't have that issue (it's more prevalent on older tech and my first LCD TV was from one of the first lines).

well it's true that LCD can't get some screen burn... but they can suffer from "transient image persistence" which is often confused with screen burn...

Back