Screen cable is starting to go out

kc187

Still Fresh
Hello,

I'm starting to see the symptoms of the screen cable wearing out (pink lines.) It only does it if I move the lid while it is on.

I was also wondering about ordering a new battery so I have a spare.

Is it possible to order another cable so I can install it myself? I wouldn't mind a warranty call but shipping the OpenPandora back to the UK to be repaired seems like a long task when I can replace the cable myself.

If I have to send it in for repair, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks guys.

KC

PS. I'm reading that the new units are coming with 512MB memory? Is it possible to send in an old unit (mine) to get a memory upgrade or do it myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying to my own question, haha.

See attached picture. Going in to reseat it, I managed to snap the cable completely in half. (EvilDragon was NOT kidding when he said be careful!)

So... I need a new LCD cable. How do I order one?

Thanks.

20120423_17411q4.jpg

PS. I'm reading that the new units are coming with 512MB memory? Is it possible to send in an old unit (mine) to get a memory upgrade or do it myself?
The memory is soldered directly onto the board, so it's not as simple as popping your memory out and putting more memory in (so no upgrades yourself). There was talk about an upgrade program, where you'd send in your Pandora + some cash, and they'd put a new board in with the additional memory. I'm not sure where that's at now.

Replying to my own question, haha.

See attached picture. Going in to reseat it, I managed to snap the cable completely in half. (EvilDragon was NOT kidding when he said be careful!)

So... I need a new LCD cable. How do I order one?

Thanks.

Replacing the cable is exceptionally complex if you have never done it before, I've been genuinely amazed that some forum members have managed to do it on a first try.

I'll need to see when we're getting more cables, I don't think we currently have any left here, Ed might have some.

Amazed? really, if you're careful, it's a pretty easy but skillful task. I've done it twice without damaging anything!

Upgrading should be possible see this link for some details on upgrades. Altough this is for preorderers that are still waiting for their Pandora, it will give you an idea what to expect moneywise (maybe its a little less as you trade in a working board, but only Ed knows that). Best way ist contacting him via EMail (shop@gp2x.de or EvilDragon@gp2x.de) or PM, I'm sure he will work something out for you. But be advised, that he has a E-Mail backlog again, so expect the response to be delayed a little. He said that he "browses" is backlog regulary to check for "special cases" (my wording), so maybe a specific subject could speed things up a little

The memory question was just a question. Right now, I need an LCD cable. Is it possible to purchase one?

My soldering rig arrived today. I can fix stuff within the US and have a few extra LCD cables I brought back from Germany in March.

My soldering rig arrived today. I can fix stuff within the US and have a few extra LCD cables I brought back from Germany in March.

Are you willing to part with one? Of course, I'll pay for it. :p I like having a spare part or two.

^

I can mail you one if you are in the US. I didn't pay for them, and shipping one doesn't cost much. Are you comfortable putting it back together?

^

I can mail you one if you are in the US. I didn't pay for them, and shipping one doesn't cost much. Are you comfortable putting it back together?

I'm comfortable putting it back in. The reason it snapped in the first place is because the lid hinge is very tight and I applied too much Berserker strength without thinking "I should probably snake the LCD cable through the hole first," like an idiot.

I honestly don't mind paying for it... but if you're offering to just *give* it to me, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth! :)

However, if that's the case I would like to toss you something for shipping and helping me out regardless.

Back