Screen Cracked... And Doing Weird Things

MkidTrigun

Still Fresh
Alright, I've had my Wiz for about a month with no troubles whatsoever... until I took it on a trip last week.

What I'm assuming happened (because I didn't know until after the fact), was that I had my Wiz in its leather protective case in my pocket, while I took it hiking with my friends and I. Forgetting completely about it, I had gotten back into the vehicle, sitting with two other people to my right. which filled the middle row of the SUV with barely any leg room to speak of.

We got back to the cabin we were staying at when I had noticed that there was a crack that starts at the middle point in the W in Wiz, and goes in 4 different directions.

Looking at it straight on, the crack was barely noticeable, and didn't affect the LCD screen beneath (aside from ruining the touch features, which I barely used anyway.

Day after day, after playing it and charging it, I had noticed a couple of pixels dying out. At first, it was OK to deal with, but now, it's getting really weird.

2czdjb8.jpg

This is a (horrible camera phone) pic of the Wiz at the Testing Screen.

It almost looks as if the pixels are starting to develop a 'mold' of some sort...

Is there anything I can/should do? Should I attempt to remove the top screen?

EDIT: Doing some searching around on the forums, it seems that the pixels are starting to become "Lemmings" and jumping off the nearest cliff. I sent a ticket into GP2XStore.com with a request of an RMA number. I just hope they don't pin the blame on the cracked screen for the dead pixels (which they will)... :(

MkidTrigun said:
Alright, I've had my Wiz for about a month with no troubles whatsoever... until I took it on a trip last week.

What I'm assuming happened (because I didn't know until after the fact), was that I had my Wiz in its leather protective case in my pocket, while I took it hiking with my friends and I. Forgetting completely about it, I had gotten back into the vehicle, sitting with two other people to my right. which filled the middle row of the SUV with barely any leg room to speak of.

We got back to the cabin we were staying at when I had noticed that there was a crack that starts at the middle point in the W in Wiz, and goes in 4 different directions.

Looking at it straight on, the crack was barely noticeable, and didn't affect the LCD screen beneath (aside from ruining the touch features, which I barely used anyway.

Day after day, after playing it and charging it, I had noticed a couple of pixels dying out. At first, it was OK to deal with, but now, it's getting really weird.

2czdjb8.jpg

This is a (horrible camera phone) pic of the Wiz at the Testing Screen.

It almost looks as if the pixels are starting to develop a 'mold' of some sort...

Is there anything I can/should do? Should I attempt to remove the top screen?

EDIT: Doing some searching around on the forums, it seems that the pixels are starting to become "Lemmings" and jumping off the nearest cliff. I sent a ticket into GP2XStore.com with a request of an RMA number. I just hope they don't pin the blame on the cracked screen for the dead pixels (which they will)... :(

There may be a chance that you will get a partial credit, like maybe $50 or something towards a replacement, but there is no way in hell you are going to get a straight exchange. If you do, let me know who you bought if from because they would have the best CusSvs I ever heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent a ticket last night, and they seemed to respond rather quickly (within 6 hours!), stating that the Wiz's pixels were dying out. They gave me an RMA form to send with the Wiz, so hopefully things will work out (or at the least, get it repaired for a few extra bucks)

The pixels are dying because the seal is broken. Those thin fragile layers are oxidizing.

This really isn't an RMA case.

aho said:
The pixels are dying because the seal is broken. Those thin fragile layers are oxidizing.

This really isn't an RMA case.

If it's because of oxidation, why did it create a giant rectangular deadspot near the right side of the screen instead of where the cracks are? (I know it's kinda hard to tell in the blurry photo, but if you trace a giant 'V' from the center you can get a good idea where the cracks happened.)

I was trying to go for an RMA case to at least attempt to get them to repair it (at a price, I'm sure). If what you say is true, I know I'm hosed, but I gotta try it anyway... the worst that could happen is that they send it back unrepaired and $20 paid to them for 'examination' and shipping.

>[...]why did it create a giant rectangular deadspot near the right side of the screen instead of where the cracks are?

The layer was probably thinner or less resistant over there. Might be something caused by the manufacturing process.

Hm, one of my customers also did send me a WIZ with THE EXACT SAME rectangle on the right side of the screen :eek:

EvilDragon said:
Hm, one of my customers also did send me a WIZ with THE EXACT SAME rectangle on the right side of the screen :eek:

Almost looks like the right size for a memory chip

Pickle said:
EvilDragon said:

Almost looks like the right size for a memory chip

It'll be confirmed when you start seeing things like "16x4mbit" fade through :p

I think that the organic nature of the OLED screen can cause this efect of the dead pixels in contact with the air. This screen consume low battery, but is thin. The crack can loose the holds and stability of the screen, and the screen can hit any chip that is below with the movement.

MkidTrigun said:

BEHOLD! THE UNHOLY PIXEL DEATH MOLD! Your family and pets are safe, but your screen is not! IT CONSUMES PIXELS!

Seriously though. Interesting. Interesting.

Just as M. Night Shyamalan would say, "What a tweeeeeeeeest!"

Feeling bad for not explaining to GP2XStore.com what actually happened, I sent in another ticket explaining the situation that the screen had cracked (as I 'mistakenly' forgot to mention in the other request I sent) and because of it, the PIXEL PLAGUE ate through the Wiz and attacked my friends and family... emotionally after they saw what happened to it.

I got back a response a few days later (as I had checked off the 'Low' priority this time around) saying that there was nothing they could do about it, that they would have to send it back to GPH to have it repaired and to contact them about it.

Searching around the GP2X Wiz site, I came across the e-mail address I needed - tonyhan@gp2x.com

I sent him an e-mail explaining my situation, and to my surprise he responded back, saying that they could repair it!

So I just sent (yet another) ticket back to GP2XStore.com requesting another RMA number so that it can finally get fixed!

I am a VERY happy camper at this point! :D :D :D

Just got an e-mail this morning, saying that my Wiz has been repaired and came with the tracking number!

Between this and the fact that I finally purchased a Bag of Crap on Woot.com (which are very difficult to get- they only sell about 1500 at a time, plus it crashes the server when it comes up), I don't know what to be happier about at this point!

Can't wait to try out the new Wiz edition of Wind and Water!

Back