Screen Too Bright!

MAXIMUSuk

Still Fresh
Does anyone else think the screen is sooooo bright? It actually hurts my eyes to look at it. It wasnt like this in FW1.2 . An awful lot of color quality is lost due to the brightness. Does anyone know of a hack to sort this of possible fix in the next FW?

lcd tweaker perhaps
but i think there is a way to reduce/ increase gamma, look on the archive
the only place that seems a bit bright for me is the menu, this can be easily changed

the only place that seems a bit bright for me is the menu, this can be easily changed

Yer, I thought the menu in FW2.0 had got a bit bright and i'm sure the font colour changed in the browsing of the SD card. Anyway I installed the "Aurora Base Skin" and now its very nice. Infact I think this skin is the one the gp2x should ship with!!! So yer, it's easily fixed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP32 BLU has a tinted screen protector to save your eyes from the harsh light the lcds give off. If you have a MkII you could try applying a sticky-back film to the screen protector or even make a tinted replacement.
The original screens may benefit too but I suspect they will appear even fuzzier than they do already.
The BLU units use a yellow tint. I guess there is a reason for the colour used, so some experimentation would be in order. Since white appears white through the filter the screens must be emitting a higher proportion of blue light on the GP32 BLU.

The setting do not save in LCD tweaker when i restart the GP2X, im using FW 2.0

Just drop the gamma using the CPU Tweaker in an autorun script. Easy fix.

The backlight itself is bright. If you darken everything in the gamma program you will lose all darker colors. It is just a bright backlight, not much you can do.

The GP32 BLU has a tinted screen protector to save your eyes from the harsh light the lcds give off. If you have a MkII you could try applying a sticky-back film to the screen protector or even make a tinted replacement.
The original screens may benefit too but I suspect they will appear even fuzzier than they do already.
The BLU units use a yellow tint. I guess there is a reason for the colour used, so some experimentation would be in order. Since white appears white through the filter the screens must be emitting a higher proportion of blue light on the GP32 BLU.

True..blue light is exceptionally harsh on your eyes, possibly causing complications later on. That's why our lens get naturally tinted yellow as we age.

I have a MK2, and I think I need to brighten everything, because I can't play Quake anymore.

Dito.

Is there anyone that could give me some advice on that? I've got a similar problem with Hexen, but that's close to the edge. Which parameter for the lcd tweaker ( if there is one ) is used for the brigthness?

I have a MK2, and I think I need to brighten everything, because I can't play Quake anymore.

Dito.

Is there anyone that could give me some advice on that? I've got a similar problem with Hexen, but that's close to the edge. Which parameter for the lcd tweaker ( if there is one ) is used for the brigthness?

Code:
/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 266 0.6

The last # in the line is the gamma parameter.

Dito.

The problem with brightening everything is that you clip colors at the high end of the value scale. For example 16 light grey values become 1 white value. So in effect you are losing colors and detail at the high end. You are trading light for dark.

What we need is a non-linear gamma adjustment that pulls up darker values, re-distributes the in-betweens, and leaves the lighter values unchanged.

Does the firmware not control the amount of power to the LCD light. If so couldnt this be altered like on the psp

I believe the backlight can only be set on or off, so the OS would have to rapidly switch it, and it'd probably flicker annoyingly unless it's switched fast enough.

True..blue light is exceptionally harsh on your eyes, possibly causing complications later on. That's why our lens get naturally tinted yellow as we age.
Edit: I completely misunderstood his reply to Jabberwocky here, it is retracted.

No, the BLU stands for Back Lit Unit. Not Blue LEDs.

Also he is saying that LCD's give off harsh light, a technical untruth, a LCD can only "give off" (happy now, jeez) the light coming out of its backlight.

The white LED's do in fact hurt my eyes, it is an unshielded arc of electrons jumping the gap on the PN junction of the diode.

Is it at all possible to actually adjust the backlight intensity or voltage? How about a mosfet with variable voltage output tied to the LCD?

Also he is saying that LCD's give off harsh light, a technical untruth, a LCD can only give off the light coming out of its backlight.

The white LED's do in fact hurt my eyes, it is an unshielded arc of electrons jumping the gap on the PN junction of the diode.

Is it at all possible to actually adjust the backlight intensity or voltage? How about a mosfet with variable voltage output tied to the LCD?

You might have to hack the firmware to do that...

Also he is saying that LCD's give off harsh light, a technical untruth, a LCD can only give off the light coming out of its backlight.

Just add a pot to the wire that delivers power to the LEDs. That way you can fine tune it exactly how you want it :)

Just add a pot to the wire that delivers power to the LEDs. That way you can fine tune it exactly how you want it :)
I actually considered that, I just don't want to break it right off the bat. I really don't want to break my ribbon cable.

I am going to give it a try for a little bit, maybe introducing some resistance on the circuit board could help. I might be able to hide a pot somewhere, perhaps just beyond the headphone jack and use a long plastic screwdriver to turn it :) Stealth mods are the best mods.

Better yet would be to decipher the LED power circuit and see if it is adjustable at all for voltage, then put the pot in for one of the resistors that sets the voltage.

I will play it for a bit and see if I like it, I don't know if it will be too bright for me.

Edit: To clarify the plan is to put the pot so that a plastic screwdriver inserted in the headphones jack will change the screen brightness when turned.

Back