GP32 Scummvm Audio... How Is It Done?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
The GP32 version of ScummVM has audio in games like Indy4 and DOTT etc. The audio is apparently midi, so I'm wondering how it gets rendered. Is the code for the working version of ScummVM/GP around somewhere handy? OR anyone know off the top of their head?

Or does it just use a simple tonal MIDI->FM->PCM renderer in order to get the audio?

If so, thats cool.. the Palm OS port of ScummVM doesn't have MIDI->PCM audio, so I'm thinking it'd be a good thing to bring over.

jeff

DJWillis has the source to the current port. He says that he doesn't mind sharing it except that it's in a mess although I'm sure he's being too harsh on himself :)

The sound AFAIK is based on the fmopl driver from mame, with some sort of midi parser on top. Doom uses the same system, although it parses MUS rather MIDI format. It shouldn't be too hard to get it working on another platform.

I've had music working in Monkey Island scumm for palm on my T675 clie. It's several months since I last tinkered with it but I do remember it being a pain in the arse, I had great difficulty trying to get the correct order so gave up. I had music but the wrong mood for the part of the game I was in. The tracks didn't seem to be played in order originally.

It's not such a problem now I have a GP32 ie I don't bother with the palm :)

The following is from the scummvm 5.1 palm docs :-

MP3 support for CD-Rom games with audio tracks (Clié only):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To play audio tracks with ScummVM for PalmOS :
- extract audio tracks as MP3
- name the files so that they are sorted in correct order (0001.mp3, 0002.mp3, ...)
- copy these files on your Memory Stick on /Palm/Progams/MSAUDIO
- Check the MP3 option in the Music panel
- Set the first track number

---------------------

If you can suss out making it better Jeff you'll be onto a winner :) Personally I liked playing on the clie because I could get away with it at work during slack moments. Not that I have any of those currently :)

Back